mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Spider Comp - differences between the the different travel settings?

I demoed a Spider Comp over the last few days in 120mm travel mode and liked it, but wondered how the bike would be in longer-travel setting. Sadly it wasn't possible to try with longer-travel forks, so wondered what peoples' experiences are?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The bike is fast in the 120 mode on the rear with a set of Fox34 TALAS in the short travel to (110mm) which works out the same ACL to the 120mm 32's but the bike is much more fun in the longer travel mode with the 67 deg head angle, it attacks the DH sections with so much aggression!

I feel I get the best of both worlds because when the rear is in the long setting and I put the forks in the 110mm TALAS setting then the HA is around 68.5 deg which is perfect for climbing ext. This saves messing with the rear travel setting for me.

I have noticed that when changing between the travel settings that the shock air pressures need to be adjusted by around 30 psi

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I run a Marz 44 at 140mm in the front with no travel adjust. I can't tell any loss of climbing efficiency in the longer travel setting, nor really tell while riding.... But I am consistently faster through gnarly sections in the longer setting. I have just started leaving it long all the time. I plan on getting a Talas or dual air fork for the front and am interested in how it performs at different travel settings. Should be fun experiments.