mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Spider Comp Chain Suck issue?

I am really liking my Spider Comp, except I am getting chain suck at least 25% of the time when I shift from the larger to the smaller ring. I am running Sram XO 2 x 10 with raceface sixc cranks/rings. Took it to the shop and they looked at chain length, the rings and the chain. Shop worked on it for a while while I was there and inspected all the rings and the chain really carefully. They finally found a slight bend in one of the chain links and replaced the chain. I went out riding yesterday and still had chain suck. Any ideas? I know there were some questions about chain ring/front derailleur compatibility on this bike. I am wishing I went XX1.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I haven't had any issues yet with an XO 2x10 crank and XT front der. Have XT plus on the rear.

Nothing is more frustrating than chain suck. Good luck getting it rectified.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I can't offer any experience with 2x10, but my 1x10 setup with a type 2 derailleur has been flawless even without a chain guide.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ccwaskier View Post
    I am really liking my Spider Comp, except I am getting chain suck at least 25% of the time when I shift from the larger to the smaller ring. I am running Sram XO 2 x 10 with raceface sixc cranks/rings. Took it to the shop and they looked at chain length, the rings and the chain. Shop worked on it for a while while I was there and inspected all the rings and the chain really carefully. They finally found a slight bend in one of the chain links and replaced the chain. I went out riding yesterday and still had chain suck. Any ideas? I know there were some questions about chain ring/front derailleur compatibility on this bike. I am wishing I went XX1.
    Are the parts all new? Regardless, the rings are the most likely culprit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    If it is sucking between the chain stay and rings, try wrapping a tube around the stay covered with a couple if zip ties to close the gap so it can't suck. You should find the underlying problem but this could be a stop gap solution.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    Are the parts all new? Regardless, the rings are the most likely culprit.
    Yeah, all parts are new, but maybe I should just try new rings.

mtbr member
    You could always try a chain guard/catcher also Race Face crank sets are notorious for that sort of thing.
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Don't hate me for saying it, but... Shimano rings.

mtbr member
    No issues with my Shimano 2x10 drivetrain on the Comp. You may need new chainrings or could be a chain alignment issue.