Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spider Comp

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Spider Comp

I am so friggin stoked. I ordered my Spider Comp today.

Full XTR with Hope hubs and Crest rims.

Man is it going to be a long 5 weeks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    awesome! I was told 4 to 5 weeks for my Carbine, and it showed up in 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I got mine last week and it is awesome full XX1, stans arch EX rims laced to DT swiss 240 hubs, Fox float 34 talas set at 140mm of travel, 28 pounds with XT trail pedals. I love it, It will be worth the wait.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I see you went for the Talas. Are you using the travel adjust on the climbs or does it climb well at 140?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cdsdad View Post
    I got mine last week and it is awesome full XX1, stans arch EX rims laced to DT swiss 240 hubs, Fox float 34 talas set at 140mm of travel, 28 pounds with XT trail pedals. I love it, It will be worth the wait.
    i am hoping mine comes in at 28, but now i am not so sure. do you have a dropper post? what tires are you running?

i ended up going with the float over the talas since i never use it now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Honestly I more then likely won't use the travel adjust because It climbs everything around here very well with out the fork sucked down. It climbed better then I expected it to in full travel, just as well as my Carbine 275 actually. If I had to do it all over again I would have just purchased the float and saved a little weight..

As for my build it has a Rock shox reverb stealth post, Hans Dampf 2.3 tires front and rear, XO brakes, king head set, Race Face sixc bar, thomson 50mm stem, Stans Arch EX rims laced to DT swiss 240 hubs, Sram XX1 with grip shift, XT trail pedals.

I weighed it on a ultimate digital scale.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Honestly I more then likely won't use the travel adjust because It climbs everything around here very well with out the fork sucked down. It climbed better then I expected it to in full travel, just as well as my Carbine 275 actually. If I had to do it all over again I would have just purchased the float and saved a little weight..

As for my build it has a Rock shox reverb stealth post, Hans Dampf 2.3 tires front and rear, XO brakes, king head set, Race Face sixc bar, thomson 50mm stem, Stans Arch EX rims laced to DT swiss 240 hubs, Sram XX1 with grip shift, XT trail pedals.

Nice build, thanks. I agree 100% on the Float.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Pics please!!!

Pics please! My frame just came in, I'm just waiting for Intense to send the component package.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Anyone in the US get a large yet?

mtbr member

How does it compare with the 275? I can't decide between the two.
    Turner Sultan
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Ducati M1100s
    Husaberg TE 250
    KTM 300
    RD 400

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just found out that my Frame was shipped on Wednesday. Woohoo

I may have it built in time for the 62miler at San Felasco.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tortfeasor View Post
    How does it compare with the 275? I can't decide between the two.
    I wouldn't give one the nod over the other. Reason being is both bikes are phenominal and can be built up to lean more toward the XC side of the spectrum or the DH side. My Carbine leans more towards the XC side where as my Spider leans more towards the DH side.

If you are a guy who is coming off of 26" wheels (quick handling, twitchy, quick acceleration.) and has never experienced 29ers, I would go with the Carbine 275. Reason being is because if you don't like the 275 experience you can always swap out the drop-outs and turn it back into a 26er. Now if you are a guy who has been riding 29ers for a while (DH bike like stability, solid, great traction.) and love them like I do then I would go for the Spider.

A lot of it has to do with where you live as well. I live in southern California so there are trails around here where I use both bikes depending on what type of riding we are going to be doing for the day.

I hope this helps in some way
    Last edited by cdsdad; 12-28-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: adding a picture

mtbr member
    I'm on a Sultan right now built up burly with a 140mm fork, but it feels like a tank with the long chainstays. I like 29ers, but I want something more flickable and manueverable than the Sultan. Sounds like the Spider Comp may be for me.
    Turner Sultan
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Ducati M1100s
    Husaberg TE 250
    KTM 300
    RD 400

mtbr member
    Hay cdsdad, glad your loving your spider comp. I went with the 275 carbine and really like it, but the nevgal tires are to wimpy. I should have gotten the hanz damp 2.35 but some friends that used them on their stumpy evo 29er said they were a little to much tire on long fast climbs. I ordered some nobby nic 2.25 and I'm starting to think they are going to be the same as what I have. How do you like the Hanz tires???
    thanks vice

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Brown Santa showed up at Jim's Bicycle today.

Frame and Reverb showed up today. Hopefully everything else will be in Friday.

Frame is hot looking. I guess if I had a complaint it would be where the seat-stays bond to the collars for the upper pivot. It just doesn't have that normal Intense fit and finish that you come to expect. Other than that I am big time stoked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spider Comp-intense-spider-comp-29-057.jpg  

Spider Comp-intense-spider-comp-29-060.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Looks like a medium? How tall are you? I have one coming to me next week. Also curious about which length reverb you went with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It's a medium and I went with the 420. My LBS said it would be a month wait on the 380.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Love the pic! I ordered the black/red. Frame came in. I ordered the complete XT bike, but Intense has yet to send the components. Something about they are having issues trying to figure exact set-ups or something. and the delivery date keep getting pushed back. Anyway, I'm getting anxious. And by anxious I mean should I just go ahead and order the parts myself? Anyone running a double instead of a triple? It seems like I could get a pretty good price from competitive cyclist. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SaxMan2001 View Post
    Love the pic! I ordered the black/red. Frame came in. I ordered the complete XT bike, but Intense has yet to send the components. Something about they are having issues trying to figure exact set-ups or something. and the delivery date keep getting pushed back. Anyway, I'm getting anxious. And by anxious I mean should I just go ahead and order the parts myself? Anyone running a double instead of a triple? It seems like I could get a pretty good price from competitive cyclist. Any thoughts?
    I went with an XTR build. I put together two build kits with the Fox 34. One from Competitive and one from Colorado Cyclist. Colorado was 800.00 cheaper on the exact same build. I asked my LBS(Jim's Bicycle) to match Colorado and he did. The complete bike came to 6000.00 +tax. Not bad for XTR with Crest/Hope wheels, Thomson carbon bars, Chris King etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Hay cdsdad, glad your loving your spider comp. I went with the 275 carbine and really like it, but the nevgal tires are to wimpy. I should have gotten the hanz damp 2.35 but some friends that used them on their stumpy evo 29er said they were a little to much tire on long fast climbs. I ordered some nobby nic 2.25 and I'm starting to think they are going to be the same as what I have. How do you like the Hanz tires???
    thanks vice
    Hey Vice,

Sorry it has taken so long to respond, I have been out of town.

I'm loving the Hans Dampf on the Spider, it has been a great set of tires, I feel that the tire climbs very well for what they are designed to be which is an All mountain tire. I would have to agree with your friends thoughts on the tires being a bit to much on long fast climbs but the tire leans more toward the aggresive side of riding anyway. If I'm trying to hang with my buddies on a XC ride (They aren't in to DH like I am so every ride with them is pretty much at race speed) I feel that I would have to put out more of an effort with the Hans Dampf on the climbs then I would theNevegal's. That being said I love to DH and the Hans Dampf shines in this area. You might not be the first one up the hill but once these tires are pointed down they are absolutely incredible.

For my Carbine I will more then likely keep 2.1 Nevegal on the rear but I'm going to have to change the front tire to something more aggresive. They are great on XC trails but once things start getting a bit more aggresive I feel a little under gunned with the 2.1 Nevegal up fronton some trails. I'm thinking about putting a Nevegal 2.3 on the front or I may put a 2.25 nobby nic on the rear and a 2.3 hans Dampf on the front.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    I see you went for the Talas. Are you using the travel adjust on the climbs or does it climb well at 140?
    I haven't used the travel adjust one time, it climbs very well in the 140mm setting. I like my suspension active so I very rarely take it out of descend mode, If I had to do it all over again I would just get the float 140 because I just don't use the Talas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    [ATTACH]Spider Comp-003.jpg[/ATTACH]

These are my two ladies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spider Comp-004.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hey Vice,

Sorry it has taken so long to respond, I have been out of town.

I'm loving the Hans Dampf on the Spider, it has been a great set of tires, I feel that the tire climbs very well for what they are designed to be which is an All mountain tire. I would have to agree with your friends thoughts on the tires being a bit to much on long fast climbs but the tire leans more toward the aggresive side of riding anyway. If I'm trying to hang with my buddies on a XC ride (They aren't in to DH like I am so every ride with them is pretty much at race speed) I feel that I would have to put out more of an effort with the Hans Dampf on the climbs then I would theNevegal's. That being said I love to DH and the Hans Dampf shines in this area. You might not be the first one up the hill but once these tires are pointed down they are absolutely incredible.

For my Carbine I will more then likely keep 2.1 Nevegal on the rear but I'm going to have to change the front tire to something more aggresive. They are great on XC trails but once things start getting a bit more aggresive I feel a little under gunned with the 2.1 Nevegal up fronton some trails. I'm thinking about putting a Nevegal 2.3 on the front or I may put a 2.25 nobby nic on the rear and a 2.3 hans Dampf on the front.

CDSdad, thanks they seem like great tires, most of my trail bikes have had 2.35 or bigger tires. I too like the nasty stuff, and live for pointing my bike down hill. I have already tore my nevegal 2.1 rear. I got my Nobby Nic on the rear now, only did one ride but I can tell it is a much better tread pattern than the Nevegal for a rear tire. I'm sure I will have some real tires on there before long.

......Oh by the way.... Major positive props for having two sick WIPS!!! hope you have a nice M9 to look over them

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That's a lot of INTENSE carbon for one one family.
    Nicely done.

Now if my parts would just come in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Could someone tell me what they think of the sizing of the 29 comp because they are only making three sizes and the top tube at 23.5" is long

Im 5'9" and wounding if I should order a small or medium?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast