mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Upset Spider Comp 29 Water Issue

Ive been riding my SP Comp 29 now for the last month and I changed the forks a week a go and noticed that the frame a considerable amount of water in the down tube / head tube when taking the forks out. I decided yesterday to check if I had water internal and once again found water in the frame.

Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone know where it will be coming in from? is it possible to come in from the stealth hose entry?

My head set is a chris king and ive used it on another bike and it never let in any water.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    How much water are yu talking about? How much water is your bike exposed to? I can't tell wher you live by your profile.

If you think it's coming in through the routing on the frame! Get a small amount of clear RTV and put some around the entry point.

Unlimately though, I assume the water is coming from you washing your bike. If this is the case, the problem isn't the housing, or the frame, etc.
    The problem is somebody pointing a hose at the bike.
    If you insist on keeping your bike clean, use a damp cloth To wipe it down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell View Post
    How much water are yu talking about? How much water is your bike exposed to? I can't tell wher you live by your profile.

If you think it's coming in through the routing on the frame! Get a small amount of clear RTV and put some around the entry point.

Unlimately though, I assume the water is coming from you washing your bike. If this is the case, the problem isn't the housing, or the frame, etc.
    The problem is somebody pointing a hose at the bike.
    If you insist on keeping your bike clean, use a damp cloth To wipe it down.
    i would say its about 25ml - 50ml of water.

I have no choice but to use a power wash I like in England and the water is never really dry and at present it pure slop and will be for the next 3 months or so.

If the water was coming in through the cable routing then I guess this is something Intense has forgot about, my Giant road bike has rubber grommets where the cables enter and when I changed it to an electronic group set they supplied a set of grommets with a smaller hole for the cables.

I dont think it should come out the internal cable routing tho because I understand that these are a solid carbon tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Powerwash???!!!!!!

I also have the spider 29 comp. I'll keep an eye on the water intake. But word of advice, I used to work at a shop and I do my own work on bikes, I'd wouldn't use a power washer on any bike. I don't care how muddy the bike is, a power washer will force water through any and every seal. Any grease will get washed out, the water will stay inside, and it will destroy your bike. And yes, my bikes are clean. Get a bucket, a brush, a rag, nothing high pressure or spraying.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ive been riding mountain bikes for close to 20 years now in poor conditions in the UK and always used a power wash and ive never seen any of my bikes have water in them like this, I have DH, DJ, XC and road bikes and change them regular but never seen this much water!

I do change parts regular as you have to when riding in poor conditions due to wear and grease removal when washing, If anyone has ever been to a race be that world cup of just a local you will notice that everyone uses a power wash these days. Its just not possible to clean your bike with that much mud on it without using a power wash unless you want to spend 2 hrs cleaning you bike each ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stejam View Post
    Ive been riding mountain bikes for close to 20 years now in poor conditions in the UK ....
    If you don't take advice then why do you even bother to ask?
    Racers power wash their bikes because they get them for free or at a discount and move on to a new bike the next year anyways. If that doesn't sound like you, then why do the same?

Normally frames collect water around the seat post/seat tube while riding in wet conditions or washing. That would be the first place I look.

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Just put the damn thing in a pool of water then look for bubbles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ive been riding mountain bikes for close to 20 years now in poor conditions in the UK and always used a power wash and ive never seen any of my bikes have water in them like this, I have DH, DJ, XC and road bikes and change them regular but never seen this much water!

I do change parts regular as you have to when riding in poor conditions due to wear and grease removal when washing, If anyone has ever been to a race be that world cup of just a local you will notice that everyone uses a power wash these days. Its just not possible to clean your bike with that much mud on it without using a power wash unless you want to spend 2 hrs cleaning you bike each ride.
    How many of them have internal routing. Seems silly to complain about something like water intrusion when you admit you're doing something you shouldn't- power wash a bike.

You can get it just as clean without a powerwasher, honeslty you're just taking the easy way out.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You are correct I cleaned it with a bucket of water and it took close to a hour to get all the thick mud off it. I have done this three times now so decided to pull out the forks and see if there was any water present and guess what...... same situation!

The water has to be coming in from the seat post stealth entry because the BB is a sealed section and t ive blown down the gat cables and they hold pressure.

So back to what I originally said Intense have failed to manufacture a rubber bung to seal off the stealth cable when installed or not present.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Definitely sell the bike then.

Or... Just keep complaining and don't do anything to fix it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    So back to what I originally said Intense have failed to manufacture a rubber bung to seal off the stealth cable when installed or not present.
    They do have a rubber stop in place on the frame for if you are not using the stealth. That said, it would be nice if they had one to stop water from seeping in when you use the stealth. Maybe I am ignorant, but can't you try buying a "bung" from another company and see if it seals your stealth cable?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell View Post
    Definitely sell the bike then.

Or... Just keep complaining and don't do anything to fix it.
    That's the newer generation. ***** and moan about something they could fix in 5 minutes with a little creativity.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    They do have a rubber stop in place on the frame for if you are not using the stealth. That said, it would be nice if they had one to stop water from seeping in when you use the stealth. Maybe I am ignorant, but can't you try buying a "bung" from another company and see if it seals your stealth cable?
    I tried with one off my road bike but it wont fit correctly so Ive been creative like the new generation and used some technical black silicon!

I kill keep you updated after a ride tomorrow and after power washing the bike again!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I tried with one off my road bike but it wont fit correctly so Ive been creative like the new generation and used some technical black silicon!

I kill keep you updated after a ride tomorrow and after power washing the bike again!

You probably shouldn't power wash the bike like others said, but I would be a bit annoyed as well if I was running the stealth and didn't have a good seal. I am sure there is an elegant solution to the issue out there via silicon, other factory ferrule/stop, etc, but it would be nice if it came from Intense. Fortunately, I decided to go with a standard dropper post and the cable routing is very clean (thanks Fanatik). The Intense plug that covers the stealth hole looks like it will keep everything out, maybe even power washing directly on it

Good luck and post up if the silicon works for others who may be using the stealth.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well I rode again yesterday and today and I have to say that the silicon worked!

Looks like I can keep on power washing now!