mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Spider Comp 29 Sizing

Hey guys, the Spider Comp is a bike I am still considering. On a SC Tallboy now (XL) and it may be just a touch long. Plus, 29ers have long wheelbases, so many prefer the smaller sizes if on the cusp.

My question- what size would be a better bet? Would the medium feel too cramped? I am 6 ft tall. Arm spam is 6'3" (longish arms). I am sure the 24.5" ETT on large will fit fine but am also concerned about a long wheelbase (mainly for tight/steep switchbacks and slow tech sections).

Will the medium feel to cramped? I am used to large Turners (~24 ETT) with a 90mm stem (some rise makes them more like 80). Hard to try a medium and large here in Denver, so though I'd see what sizes people were riding and what you guys think.

Another bike I am looking at is the Ibis Ripley. It is more XC-ish but I'd use a 130/140mm fork. Same issue with sizing though between the L and XL. The Ibis will cost me around $300 less but fit and feel is more important.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am 6'1 with average proportions and ride the Large with a 70mm stem and it feels great. I will probably switch to a 60mm for next year for a fine tune on the reach. I haven't tried a Medium to confirm my decision but what I have works.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks bud. If I got a large, I'd use a 60/70 stem. Medium and I'd use a 90. I see you live in HR. Any chance I can throw a leg over your bike on the driveway/street? Just wanted to see a large in person...maybe even bring my SC Tallboy to compare dimensions. I live in the Ken Caryl Valley, so not too far from Highlands Ranch. I think that is where you live, right?

mtbr member
    I too am thinking about going down the 29er road, but a carbine 29er
    I'm 6'1" all so, but was told a med might better?
    I ride a carbine 275 now with 50mm stem and wide bars
    my bike has to dh and jump, but has to be an all around good trail bike for long days
    Yes I plan on eating that cake too

Hay smith I'm in NH think you could dive your sweet ride over here so I can test out the fit jk
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I think you're gonna be happier on a large. That's based on my 1/2 hour demo of a Spider Comp, so not extensive experience. I'm 6'.

mtbr member
    thanks epic, do you know what size stem it had? I know you like those super duper long stems? I'm so used to stubbys

how did you like it compared to your carbine?
    where did you demo it?
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I am 5' 9 1/2" and I ride an Intense Spider Comp 29 medium. The fit seems perfect. I have relatively short arms and legs. I also have a medium Jet 9 RDO that fits me well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Damn, so that kinda nudges me into a large. I'll do the Wrenchscience fit just to be sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    thanks epic, do you know what size stem it had? I know you like those super duper long stems? I'm so used to stubbys

how did you like it compared to your carbine?
    where did you demo it?
    I demoed it off the Intense truck this spring. No idea what the stem size was. I think it would be a fun bike to have, but I did not pick it over a Carbine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am in HR and also ride in KC frequently with a friend in the North Ranch. Happy to work something out here. I'll PM you with my number.