Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 51 to 69 of 69
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by muggel View Post
    I wanna share some impressions of my first two rides:

    To get there: Road was pretty good in the climb mode. Positioned centered and pretty fast feeling to0

    Climbing on loose ground: Having Talased the fork and put the shock into climb position climbin was effective - the traction however was average.

    On the trail first i was running too much pressure so I lowered that and VPP was functioning perfectly. It was like a race bike with a lot more travel on big bumps. It was however not as plush as the LTC which I ran for a month on the same loop. Maybe it was the set up of the extra 1/2" of travel i dunno.

    The piece de resistance was a technical downhill with tight switchbacks rocks roots in vertical lines. The bike felt super stiff extremely versatile and agile in the switchbacks. It also felt plusher than on the trails and eventhough it was rough - travel was always enough.

    For me its a perfect all-round bike that can be used for long distance races, allmountain purpose and trailriding.

    I am happy with it...
    Love to hear the honest asessment on which bike you like better after spending some time with the Spider in its longer travel mode.

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    Love to hear the honest asessment on which bike you like better after spending some time with the Spider in its longer travel mode.
    Indeed - it might be a small but great detail to laser etch the travel on the 2 options - so one doesn't appear so nerdish..

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,512
    Indeed, travel markings would be nice. Took me a min to figure it out on may tracer vp. Not. Being an engineer, I had to think through which hole made a larger stroke on the shock for a given swingarm movement. Look forward to your thoughts.

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    244
    How does it compare to the LTc? Demo'd one today and was a bit underwhelmed compared to my Spesh Camber.....

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    Love to hear the honest asessment on which bike you like better after spending some time with the Spider in its longer travel mode.
    After a snowstorm that has passed temperatures haven risen again. Today i took the opportunity to testride my bike in the 5" mode. Also i invested some time to set up the shock. It is just a great ride. I climbed on wet soil in the trail mode and traction was ok. Descending was a whole different story. It is super agile cornering is great and switchbacks easy. I sit in the bike so its easy to keep a good balance. Position is centered and handling is just phenomenal. It was a slippery ride but i really was stoked after the descent.
    So mix of the bike has just become better.

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    13
    I had been tossing back and forth between the Yeti SB95 and the new Niner RIP 9 RDO coming this spring.. Now, I'm having a hard time even looking back now that I stumbled across this bike. Not so much a fan of the red but the black/gold is spot on.

    I ride various terrain and was looking to see if I could get away with the Fox 34 Talas 160 (reduced to 150). Then I'd have 120 climb and 150 descent. Or would running at 160 just complete trash the composition of the bike when going downhill? I've been reading so much but I remember seeing a post where Mr. Intense state you could slap a 150 on this bike. Climbing is important as well as the downhill so both need to be taken into consideration.

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandonium View Post
    I had been tossing back and forth between the Yeti SB95 and the new Niner RIP 9 RDO coming this spring.. Now, I'm having a hard time even looking back now that I stumbled across this bike. Not so much a fan of the red but the black/gold is spot on.

    I ride various terrain and was looking to see if I could get away with the Fox 34 Talas 160 (reduced to 150). Then I'd have 120 climb and 150 descent. Or would running at 160 just complete trash the composition of the bike when going downhill? I've been reading so much but I remember seeing a post where Mr. Intense state you could slap a 150 on this bike. Climbing is important as well as the downhill so both need to be taken into consideration.
    Fox does not make a 34 talas 29er in 160mm travel. It is only offered in 140. 160 on this bike or any you have mentioned would chopper them out too much. I asked mr intense his opinion on fork travel for this bike, and his recommendation was the 34 float at 130mm for all around riding. You cannot reduce max travel on a 140 talas.

    Good luck in your search!

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    Fox does not make a 34 talas 29er in 160mm travel. It is only offered in 140. 160 on this bike or any you have mentioned would chopper them out too much. I asked mr intense his opinion on fork travel for this bike, and his recommendation was the 34 float at 130mm for all around riding. You cannot reduce max travel on a 140 talas.

    Good luck in your search!
    My bad.. It was too early to post. I think what I meant to say was a Fox 36 Talas 160 RC2. That post was definitely pre-coffee.

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandonium View Post
    My bad.. It was too early to post. I think what I meant to say was a Fox 36 Talas 160 RC2. That post was definitely pre-coffee.
    Don't think a 36 talas will work with a 29 inch wheel with any reasonably sized tire on it. The 36 is for a 26 inch wheel (may have 650b too?) but not a29er. And if it did, mud clearance would be nil. If you want that much travel, people have had success modifying durados.

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    Don't think a 36 talas will work with a 29 inch wheel with any reasonably sized tire on it. The 36 is for a 26 inch wheel (may have 650b too?) but not a29er. And if it did, mud clearance would be nil. If you want that much travel, people have had success modifying durados.
    You're right. I'm over thinking it. For some reason I forget that 26" setups exist. Started with 29 so it never crosses my mind. The 36's are for 26 only. 650B caps out at the 34 as do us 29'ers.

    I looked at the Marzocchi which does 140mm for 29 but it only comes in white. Not a fan of white forks, especially on the black/gold spider.

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    Fox does not make a 34 talas 29er in 160mm travel. It is only offered in 140. 160 on this bike or any you have mentioned would chopper them out too much. I asked mr intense his opinion on fork travel for this bike, and his recommendation was the 34 float at 130mm for all around riding. You cannot reduce max travel on a 140 talas.

    Good luck in your search!
    Hi Smithrider

    Indeed the 34 is with 140mm travel on 29" bikes - however there are two versions the Float which has a fixed 140mm travel and the Talas 34 which has 140mm at full travel and 110mm if you reduce the travel for climbing. so you will get the best out of two world. Climbing with minimum travel and descending with maximum travel.

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    13
    Does anyone know how narrow of a Q-factor we can run on these frames?

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by muggel View Post
    Hi Smithrider

    Indeed the 34 is with 140mm travel on 29" bikes - however there are two versions the Float which has a fixed 140mm travel and the Talas 34 which has 140mm at full travel and 110mm if you reduce the travel for climbing. so you will get the best out of two world. Climbing with minimum travel and descending with maximum travel.
    There is a Float 34 and Talas 34, the latter having the travel adjust. I am going with a 34 Float lowered to 130mm after much deliberation and opinion from Jeff Steber. Here is my thought on this. First, I have owned several Talas forks and their stiction is noticable with the additional seals that are necessary in the mechanism. You really have to stay on top of air spring maintenance to keep them feeling good. Second, I would like to keep the bar height and head angle a bit in check. I know 10mm isn't much but it is definitely better than nothing. I like to weight the front ends when ripping corners. Third, if I don't like the float, I can order the Talas cartridge for a minimal fee and swap it out.

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    There is a Float 34 and Talas 34, the latter having the travel adjust. I am going with a 34 Float lowered to 130mm after much deliberation and opinion from Jeff Steber. Here is my thought on this. First, I have owned several Talas forks and their stiction is noticable with the additional seals that are necessary in the mechanism. You really have to stay on top of air spring maintenance to keep them feeling good. Second, I would like to keep the bar height and head angle a bit in check. I know 10mm isn't much but it is definitely better than nothing. I like to weight the front ends when ripping corners. Third, if I don't like the float, I can order the Talas cartridge for a minimal fee and swap it out.
    I like what you saying! You are right - it's two different world the Talas and the Float. The Float is so much plusher. Where can I get a 130mm Fox from?

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by muggel View Post
    I like what you saying! You are right - it's two different world the Talas and the Float. The Float is so much plusher. Where can I get a 130mm Fox from?
    Any place that sells the 140mm 34 float can reduce the travel to 130mm by adding a spacer to float air cartridge. You can do it yourself as well. Just call up Fox and order the parts (really cheap). You can only reduce the '13 forks to 130mm as they expanded the air chamber to make the fork more linear. The '12's you can lower to 120mm like on the SB-95 factory bikes.

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    13
    I read in these forums that some are modding a Fox 36 160 Talas/float to fit 29'er wheels. I believe it was in the 29'er components section. I believe they were able to achieve 120/150 with the Talas.. Not a bad looking mod. Looks like they have been doing it for years without any ill effects or breakage.

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    38
    Alright, I will bite. Which hole gives you 5"? The top or bottom? My bike is coming in a couple of weeks and I would like to make the maiden voyage with full travel.

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by gritnteeth View Post
    Alright, I will bite. Which hole gives you 5"? The top or bottom? My bike is coming in a couple of weeks and I would like to make the maiden voyage with full travel.
    Hi there. It's the upper hole that will release the biest . Its whole different story from the two settings. Just had some sunny trails at the Ligurian coast. It was rollercoaster fun.

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,512
    Muggel has it right. Top hole for longer travel. Just got done riding horsetheif on my Uzzi with my wife on her Yeti. Talk about something to be thankful for! Happy thanksgiving everyone!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •