Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Or order/preorder from a local dealer. A local Intense dealer will probably make as good or better of a deal and you'll win on service and shop help in the long run.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I wonder if you get the frame and black fox fork in 130 mm only from Intense.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I was told they are only spec'ing the 130 black float with complete bikes, not available with frame only purchases.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I was told they are only spec'ing the 130 black float with complete bikes, not available with frame only purchases.
    I hope my lbs can get a black 140 mm talas and change the internals into a regular float then lower the weight to 130mm. I think it has and can be done depending on your Lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

spider/tracer surprized me.

sweet bike! nice work.

I wanted to add, Intense wasn't really on my radar,
    but at outerbike last week, I rode 10 plus bikes and

1. spider comp
    2 Yeti sb 95
    3. tracer 29er
    4 tracer 275
    5 tallboy ltc

nice work Intense!

for info, Mr. Intense, did spiders have 130mm fork on them at outerbike? i thought they were 140's in the fox 34.

thx!
    holiday
    Last edited by holiday; 10-17-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    May 2004

My M Frame

Hi there

I am so thrilled - just got my M frame in. Still lack some parts as the Stealth and the BB PF92 - yet will start to build today...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spider 29comp Gallery-foto-7.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice looking frame...looking forward to build and ride impressions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Is that a Niner Jet9 RDO in the background that you're switching from?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yes its a jet 9 rdo medium size frame. Looking for a more versatile geo and more travel in the spider comp.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    how tall are you?
    still working to determine sizing for me.
    thx,
    holiday

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Nice! What fork are you going with?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I am 180cm and was running an M on a Sultan and Jet 9 and L on the Tallboy. The Tallboy felt great but was too long for tricky sections. The TT of the Intense is in between the Sultan which felt short and the Tallboy. So I assume the M is the right choice for me.

I gonna run a Talas 34 on this bike for the moment however I might wanna shave off some weight and switch to the Revelation 140 instead.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Let us know what the headangle is with the 34. I am betting it will be around 67 with the extra 12 mm of crown height over the 32 series forks. Gonna be a nice ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Interesting, I"m 5'11", so I'm within a few millimeters of you, and that is a vote toward the M.

re: fork, I think the 140 34mm fox is what they base the 67.5 degree head angle on. that was the fork they were running on many of the demos I saw at outerbike. I also was told the fox 34 140 could be made a 130 if the front end ends up slacker then you like.

I don't know much about the revelation. is is 34mm stantion. i've become convinced that's the one, after spending the last couple mo. riding my brothers sb 95 w/ the 34 and my friends stumpjumper fsr29 w/ a 32 fox 130. descending, the 32 gets a lot of linear flex and is annoying in braking bumps, while hte 34 is just plain solid

thx for the background. i'm making all these decisions now as well.
    size, fork and wheels being key. I'm doing xx1, probably specialized roval carbon (the new ones w/o hte bead hook), leaning toward a M w/ the fox 34 140, w/ a 70mm stem instead of the 50mm that was set up on all hte demos.

thx,
    holiday

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    34 has more offset than the revelation which will quicken the stearing with the slacker angles. I think it is the easy choice over the revelation at 140 due to the offset alone. I think the 34 has around 52 with the revelation around 46.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by holiday View Post
    re: fork, I think the 140 34mm fox is what they base the 67.5 degree head angle on.
    I still think the headangle would be closer to 67 with the 34 at 140; I could be wrong. The bike is 68.5 with a Fox 32 at 120mm. Rule of thumb is 20mm increase in height equals approximately 1 degree change in headangle (may variables here like wheelbase etc). Adding 20mm to the fox 32's 120mm to 140mm of travel would give you the quoted 67.5. On top of this added travel, the 34 has a taller crown of approximately 12mm which should slacken it out just over a half degree more to around 67. I will be interested to see where the headangle comes out.

mtbr member
    May 2004

almost finito

here is my build

Spider 29comp Gallery-foto-9.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

mixed info...

Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    I still think the headangle would be closer to 67 with the 34 at 140; I could be wrong. The bike is 68.5 with a Fox 32 at 120mm. Rule of thumb is 20mm increase in height equals approximately 1 degree change in headangle (may variables here like wheelbase etc). Adding 20mm to the fox 32's 120mm to 140mm of travel would give you the quoted 67.5. On top of this added travel, the 34 has a taller crown of approximately 12mm which should slacken it out just over a half degree more to around 67. I will be interested to see where the headangle comes out.
    I just spoke w/ Sam at Intense.

he said the online numbers may not be right.

hte 68.5 he said is with the 130 they are specing it with, and hte 67.5 is with the fox 34 140.

mixed messages.

love to have something solid.

thx,
    holiday

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by holiday View Post
    I just spoke w/ Sam at Intense.

he said the online numbers may not be right.

hte 68.5 he said is with the 130 they are specing it with, and hte 67.5 is with the fox 34 140.

mixed messages.

love to have something solid.

thx,
    holiday
    The spread in those numbers sounds about right to me. The question then is the 68.5 really at 120mm or is it at 130mm as stated over the phone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by muggel View Post
    I am so thrilled - just got my M frame in.
    How did you get your hands on a Spider 29 Comp so early? I thought that they weren't due to ship until the end of November.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by savechief View Post
    How did you get your hands on a Spider 29 Comp so early? I thought that they weren't due to ship until the end of November.
    He's in Switzerland if that matters.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Wow, looks like one sweet bike. Weight/Geo is exactly what I'm looking for. Hopefully we'll see some demos out here in CO next spring.

The recent DirtRag review listed the Spider 29 Comp XT Complete at $5,300 MSRP. Can anyone confirm that price?

mtbr member
    May 2004

First impressions

I wanna share some impressions of my first two rides:

To get there: Road was pretty good in the climb mode. Positioned centered and pretty fast feeling to0

Climbing on loose ground: Having Talased the fork and put the shock into climb position climbin was effective - the traction however was average.

On the trail first i was running too much pressure so I lowered that and VPP was functioning perfectly. It was like a race bike with a lot more travel on big bumps. It was however not as plush as the LTC which I ran for a month on the same loop. Maybe it was the set up of the extra 1/2" of travel i dunno.

The piece de resistance was a technical downhill with tight switchbacks rocks roots in vertical lines. The bike felt super stiff extremely versatile and agile in the switchbacks. It also felt plusher than on the trails and eventhough it was rough - travel was always enough.

For me its a perfect all-round bike that can be used for long distance races, allmountain purpose and trailriding.

I am happy with it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spider 29comp Gallery-foto-1.jpg  

Spider 29comp Gallery-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    You are a lucky guy to get one of the first ! Ride it like you stole it and it will never let you down. It looks like you are running in the 4.5" travel try the 5" it is a whole different animal.
    Nice build , congrats !

Just Ride!
    All images saved, thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast