mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Spider 29 Comp fork input

I'd like some feedback from Spider 29 Comp riders out there. I'm currently riding a Carbine 27.5, Fox 34, XX1, Enve AM I9. I'm fortunate to have a good size credit at my shop and will be building a Spider 29 Comp. I'm thinking 140 Pike or Revelation, X01, Nox/I9 or Reynolds wheels. Most important feedback I'm looking for from Spider riders would be their thoughts on putting a 140 fork rather than a 120.

deez nuts
    Fox 34/ 140 on the front of my Comp. Love the head angle and the stiffness. I feel its worth the small weight penalty. Get the Pike 140.

I fix your broken ****!
    Quote Originally Posted by gcohen View Post
    I'd like some feedback from Spider 29 Comp riders out there. I'm currently riding a Carbine 27.5, Fox 34, XX1, Enve AM I9. I'm fortunate to have a good size credit at my shop and will be building a Spider 29 Comp. I'm thinking 140 Pike or Revelation, X01, Nox/I9 or Reynolds wheels. Most important feedback I'm looking for from Spider riders would be their thoughts on putting a 140 fork rather than a 120.
    If you're a more aggressive rider/will be riding more technical terrain then I would definitely go for the 140 Pike.
    Sam Wilson
    Jack of All Trades
    Intense Cycles, Inc.
    Sam@Intensecycles.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the replies. Pike it is!!

mtbr member

I have a 140Pike w/ 51mm crown offset to help w/ steering and can highly recommend it. Far superior IMHO to the 120mm Float CTD on my last bike. Also the 140 seems to compliment the Spiders 5" well, very balanced feeling.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    How much of a factor do you feel the 51mm offset is?

mtbr member

That's pretty hard for me to answer because the only suspended 29ers that I've owned have both had 51mm offset. The first was a Trek Stache, the other my Spider Comp. If you've read about the Trek/ Gary Fisher G2 geometry many people say they've got the 29er game dialed. The biggest difference from their competitors being the fork offset.

I did jump on a buddies SB95 w/ standard offset the other day and at slow speed it felt like the wheel wanted to flop to either side (not stay straight) much more than my Stache or Spider Comp. Once you got moving it wasn't as noticeable.

Hopefully that helps but I'm sure you can find better info than I've got...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am kinda in the same boat and can't decide on travel My marzocchi 44 is awful and needs to go. I was looking at a pike but adjusting the travel is a huge pain comparatively and I like being able to lower the front end to 120 for endurance racing on the bike. I'm heavily leaning towards the formula 35. Super light, easy travel changes, and great feel and adjustability. Now about the long term durability and service options, that might be the kicker that has me compromise and do a 130 pike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have a 140 Talas on my Spider and love it. Gobbles everything up.