Thread: Spider 29

Jeffro
    Dec 2012

Spider 29

Hi All,
    This is going out to any Intense Spider 29 riders (not the Comp). Looking at replacing my SC Superlight with a Spider 29, but either the Intense Website is lacking detailed information or I am not bright enough to navigate it properly. Can you please either answer or point me to a website that provides the following information for the Intense Spider 29 (not the Comp):
    1. Have you experienced any lateral flex from the rear triangle?
    2. Are there any grease ports on the bike?
    3. Information on the build-up of the pivots, i.e. bearings, seals, etc.?
    4. Any mechanical issues experienced with the suspension?
    5. Type of Alum. tubing used in the frame and rear triangle, i.e. hydroformed, etc.
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    Perhaps Intense will add some additional tech specs on their site.

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by jab63 View Post
    Hi All,
    This is going out to any Intense Spider 29 riders (not the Comp). Looking at replacing my SC Superlight with a Spider 29, but either the Intense Website is lacking detailed information or I am not bright enough to navigate it properly. Can you please either answer or point me to a website that provides the following information for the Intense Spider 29 (not the Comp):
    1. Have you experienced any lateral flex from the rear triangle?
    2. Are there any grease ports on the bike?
    3. Information on the build-up of the pivots, i.e. bearings, seals, etc.?
    4. Any mechanical issues experienced with the suspension?
    5. Type of Alum. tubing used in the frame and rear triangle, i.e. hydroformed, etc.
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    Perhaps Intense will add some additional tech specs on their site.
    Their site is severely lacking in info on the spider 29 but ill try and answer the best I can

1) I have a 12x142 rear axle setup on mine and its quite laterally stiff. My rim flexes before the rear end.

2) there are two grease ports (bike comes with adapter) for the VPP pivots underneath.

3)the VPP pivots at the bb I'm fairly certain use needle bearings (or that's what I read) but I haven't taken it apart. All other pivots use sealed cartridge bearings.

4)I've only put about 100 miles on mine since I got it late in the season but I haven't had any issues at all with the bike.

5)a few of my tubes have Easton stamps on them so I'd venture a guess in saying they use Easton tubing throughout (though can't 100% say every tube).
    Last edited by Ilikemtb999; 01-03-2013 at 11:11 AM.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

Jeffro
    Dec 2012
    Ilikebmx999,
    Thank you for the detailed information. I hope you don't mind some additional follow-up questions:
    1. are you pleased with the paint finish?
    2. do you notice much Bobbing?
    3. are you happy about the handling on tight single-track?
    4. Which fork did you go with?
    5. Did you or are you planning on posting some pics?
    Thanks again for the information. Much Appreciated.

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by jab63 View Post
    Ilikebmx999,
    Thank you for the detailed information. I hope you don't mind some additional follow-up questions:
    1. are you pleased with the paint finish?
    2. do you notice much Bobbing?
    3. are you happy about the handling on tight single-track?
    4. Which fork did you go with?
    5. Did you or are you planning on posting some pics?
    Thanks again for the information. Much Appreciated.
    1) paint seems top notch even around welds and hard to reach spots
    2)once I got the air pressure dialed in any sort of pedaling movement went away. I weigh 180 with pack and run 95psi. I also run it in trail 90% of the time.
    3)it handles much better then my trek hard tail ever did even with the longer wheelbase. I used to find myself picking up the front end of my HT 29 on tight stuff but don't have that problem with the spider.
    4) I'm running a sid rlt2 at 100mm
    5)I've posted pics before but here's a few. Only changes since those are trail xo brakes.

Spider 29-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357149751.419089.jpgSpider 29-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357149762.382501.jpg
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

Jeffro
    Dec 2012
    That is a great looking ride. Again, great information that will help me narrow down the demo list.

I <3 dirt
    No problem at all. I really love the bike. My only real complaint is there's no room for a water bottle cage on the top of the down tube even on a large frame
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    To add to this from a tracer owner and former mechanic at an Intense and Santa Cruz dealer:
    1. The finish on an Intense will blow away the crappy powdercoat on modern SCs
    2. The linkages on a SC are infinitely more reliable then an Intense. A good Intense dealer will tear down the entire frame and lube all the bearings, apply locktite, and rebuild it with a torque wrench. This is absolutely the only way to prevent that bike from being a warranty headache down the line. Free bearings from SC sure is a great program too. But if you want a really reliable and serviceable frame get a Turner.
    3. I sold SCs primarily but I always rode Intenses. The ride feel cant be beat.

Jeffro
    Dec 2012
    Jake: Thanks for the information and your perspectives.

I <3 dirt
    I was really surprised about the paint actually. I'm not one to really care for a bikes finish but hot damn I might with this one because its so good.

I plan on taking my pivots apart to clean them and throw a dab of lock tight on the bolts. I did have one come loose my first ride but shame on me for not double checking them all out of the box.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

Jeffro
    Dec 2012
    Great tips guys. Thanks. I did find more details about the Spider 29 on the website from the Fanatik Bike Company. Sounds as though, there are two key areas that Intense can easily do to improve customer satisfaction and possibly lower their warranty costs.
    1. Evaluate their assembly processes (mechanic feedback/warranty data) and implement the improvements mentioned by JakeSch.
    2. Improve access and quality of Spider 29 information on their website (copy the info available on Fanatik Bike Company's website).
    I wonder if they will?

I <3 dirt
    Fanatik's site is worlds better then the intense site for information after checking it out.

Their weight seems a little off. My large weighed just barely under 7lbs with shock. Complete bike is just under 27lbs though.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

Jeffro
    Dec 2012
    "Just Over" must have multiple meanings;-)
    27lbs is a hell've a good feat for a beefy bike with a 12x142 on the rear-end.
    Thanks again for the excellent info.