Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    246

    Some questions about SS ???

    hello to all,

    i'm thinking to switch from a SC Heckler 07 to an SS.
    But some questions are in my head :

    - Did the FRO like frame live a long life ?

    - I'm 5,6 feet, wich size do you recommand,- ? I precise that it's for %50 freeride %50 enduo/agressive XC use

    - is the bearing replacement easy to do ?

    - Do i need to change my back wheel axle ? Do the bike have a quickrelease system for the back wheel ?

    Thx for your answers.

  2. #2
    Ideas Above My Station...
    Reputation: Orange-Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,506
    I'm not sure i totally understand your question but if your asking how tough is the FRO SS Frame, I have an FRO SS, and its built like a brick sh*thouse.
    There isn't much difference with the FRO Frames as far as i know, (I've never seen a non-FRO SS Frame mind) - The bearing caps are drilled to save weight and the frame gusseting is slightly different.

    I'd say a Small might be best for you. They are sized relatively small, i'm 6"2" and on a Large, and its still pretty tucked, but great for jumping and DH as well!
    I'm sure people close to your height will be able to chime in here.

    Bearing replacement is meant to be fairly easy, i haven't had to do it yet, but after nearly 7 months of riding 1 or twice a week, its starting to creak, and its been totally checked over and the only thing left to service are the bearings. But i will getting the guys at my LBS to do it as they are Intense dealers and pretty witched on with these things.

    I run a 10mm bolted axle, but after shearing it a few weeks back had to switch in a 9mm Quick Release. I have the 10mm x 135mm drop-outs so these both work fine.
    If you have the 150 x 12mm drop-outs you'll need the correct axle.

    Its an awesome bike though, and i'm so glad i chose this over my second runners (Bottlerocket, Commencal Furious, SX Trail amongst others).
    I ride a fair bit of DH so run Totems, but i'd probably choose Fox 36's otherwise.

    You'll love it.
    Its All Downhill From Here....!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    246
    I already have 2 pairs of wheels, both builded on pro II hubs. One with light rims for XC and Enduro run and another strong for freeride and jump. Maybe i will have to transform and modify there axle, they are on normal back axle standard 9mm quick release.

    I already have also a fox 36 float RC2 2008 that work awesomely in 1,125 pivot size.

    I asked about bearing because i want to be able to replace by myself like on the Heckler.

    My question about FRO (For Race Only) frame : I have doubts about the capacities of the framework to age, I heard a lot of different sound about FRO frame (on socom, M6, ...ect)

  4. #4
    Commit or eat sh!t
    Reputation: Cable0guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,383
    SS is a burly frame. I think it will last a long time.

    You would want to use either 10mm or 12mm axle. Don't use the regular QR (too wobbly). DT Swiss makes 10mm RWS ratcheting axle which I use. You can also get the dropout in 135mm or 150mm.

    Bearing maintenance is same as for other Intense bikes.

    You do realize this is not a replacement bike for Heckler, right? Heckler rides like a trail bike. SS rides like a mini downhill bike. If you plan to do any kind of extended climbing, this is probably not the bike. I feel all of the 34-37lb of the bike (depending on the setup) when climbing. Plus it doesn't climb as well as even the Uzzi VPX. Heckler climbs very well. Whereas the Heckler is a much better climbing bike, SS is a much better downhill machine. Corners like crazy. Low to the ground.

    All depends on what you are looking for. Try to demo or borrow one and take it on a climb and a downhill.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    138
    Just two points from me:
    1) I guess the FRO thing was just a marketing idea. Since all new Intense Frames are FRO I don't see a reason why the frames should be weaker.
    2) I would go for a 12mm thrue axle. I ride a 10mm QR and the rear is not really stiff. I tried a 12mm axle and there is a noticeable difference.

    In general, it's a damn good bike!

  6. #6
    Ideas Above My Station...
    Reputation: Orange-Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Burak
    I already have 2 pairs of wheels, both builded on pro II hubs. One with light rims for XC and Enduro run and another strong for freeride and jump. Maybe i will have to transform and modify there axle, they are on normal back axle standard 9mm quick release.

    I already have also a fox 36 float RC2 2008 that work awesomely in 1,125 pivot size.

    I asked about bearing because i want to be able to replace by myself like on the Heckler.

    My question about FRO (For Race Only) frame : I have doubts about the capacities of the framework to age, I heard a lot of different sound about FRO frame (on socom, M6, ...ect)
    It depends on what axle's each wheelset has.....!?

    If they both have 10mm axles then it'll be fine. 9mm Quick Releases work fine also works fine where 10mm axles fit.
    But as mentioned its slightly more flexy. And more flexible than the 12mm axle.

    Having a 12mm axle means less flex, but less options for future use. If you want to swap in XC wheels (Which most likely have 9mm quick release) then getting 10 x 135 rear drop-outs is the best option. If you're going to concentrate on DH then the 12 x 150 would be a better choice (but limits use of wheels in the future.)

    If your more into XC i'd ask questions whether the SS is the right bike in the first place.
    Its a great trail bike in my opinion, but its no mountain Goat thats for sure. You'd be better off with a tracer. Unless your hammering DH, doing slopestyle-style courses, lots of jumping or big hucking/freeriding AS WELL as your trail riding, the SS probably isn't the right bike.
    The Tracer is a better XC/All-mountain/Light Freeride bike.

    Hope this helps.
    Its All Downhill From Here....!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by Burak
    I already have 2 pairs of wheels, both builded on pro II hubs. One with light rims for XC and Enduro run and another strong for freeride and jump. Maybe i will have to transform and modify there axle, they are on normal back axle standard 9mm quick release.

    I already have also a fox 36 float RC2 2008 that work awesomely in 1,125 pivot size.

    I asked about bearing because i want to be able to replace by myself like on the Heckler.

    My question about FRO (For Race Only) frame : I have doubts about the capacities of the framework to age, I heard a lot of different sound about FRO frame (on socom, M6, ...ect)
    There are 4 configurations you can use for the rear axel:
    135mm spacing: QR, 10mm Bolt through, 12mm bolt through.
    150mm spacing: 12mm bolt through.

    If you choose the 135mm drop outs - you can run any of the 3 options as adaptors are provided. I have run the QR and the 12mm bolt through and can also feel the extra stiffness of the 12mm.

    If you have Hope ProII hubs, you can get a conversion kit for the rear to run either QR or 12mm. I have the same hubs.

    I have replaced bearings and it is easy and cheap.

    The bike is great but as the other guys says - ride like a small dh bike - not as light and whipy as your Heckler. Climbs very well though.

    For your height - size small for sure.

  8. #8
    Ideas Above My Station...
    Reputation: Orange-Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,506
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityfreaky
    There are 4 configurations you can use for the rear axel:
    135mm spacing: QR, 10mm Bolt through, 12mm bolt through.
    150mm spacing: 12mm bolt through.

    If you choose the 135mm drop outs - you can run any of the 3 options as adaptors are provided. I have run the QR and the 12mm bolt through and can also feel the extra stiffness of the 12mm.

    If you have Hope ProII hubs, you can get a conversion kit for the rear to run either QR or 12mm. I have the same hubs.

    I have replaced bearings and it is easy and cheap.

    The bike is great but as the other guys says - ride like a small dh bike - not as light and whipy as your Heckler. Climbs very well though.

    For your height - size small for sure.
    Ah yes, my bad! You can have 10 x 12mm with the right axle adaptors!!

    This is the way i'd go, 150mm rear wheels are only needed for DH really.
    Its All Downhill From Here....!

  9. #9
    biking is fun
    Reputation: climbingbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,349
    Just to restate what someone else said,

    the hope pro 2 can convert 10 or 12mm options. i have had mine QR, 10mm, and now 12mm. if you do go with 12mm get a hadley 135 x 12 axle, crazy light.

    i use mine for everything and it went on a diet recently. it will be all done next week so ill have to post some pics.
    i think it climbs pretty good. if your an aggro XC guy then you might have some complaints. i am a DH guy who rides up for the downs so to me the bike climbs amazing. especially cause mine will be in the 34 pound range which is way light to me.

    maybe a tracer VP might be more up your ally?

  10. #10
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,678
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    if you do go with 12mm get a hadley 135 x 12 axle, crazy light.
    Have you weighed hubs? If so, you'd find that the Hadley hub is not that light. Of course there are heavier hubs, but there are a number of lighter hubs.

  11. #11
    biking is fun
    Reputation: climbingbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    Have you weighed hubs? If so, you'd find that the Hadley hub is not that light. Of course there are heavier hubs, but there are a number of lighter hubs.
    no i haven't weighed the hubs but if you look close in my post it says hadley AXLE i run pro 2's with a hadley axle cause its light. not a whole lot of 12 X 135mm axles out there.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    397
    By the way - when I converted my Pro II hubs to 12mm - I has an axel made for me by the local engineering company out of machine grade alu. Light, strong and cost me $30 ($20 USD).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •