mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Socom or Slopestyle?

not sure if anyone has experience on both the socom and the slopestyle but can find any comparisons online. I currently have a socom/boxxer that is used almost primarily for lift access bikeparks like diablo and snowshoe and I have a 5.5 I use for all mountain and cross country. I love the socom but don't think I really need a full DH bike since the trails at both places are not that rough and mostly just drops and jumps with a few rock gardens. I am thinking of getting a slopestyle/fox 36 to have something I could throw around alittle easier but still handle everything the socom can. Is 6.5" enough for the likes of diablo and snowshoe. I used to ride a santacruz blur 4x/pike with 4.5" of travel and handled both but would not do the largest drops because I didn't want to break anything. the socom has no problem doing everything. I don't want to go back to something that can't handle everything, but something closer to the socom but can be thrown around alittle easier. another option is to get a 180mm singlecrown fork like a totem for the socom if anyone has experience with that. thanks in advance and sorry so long.
    santa cruz 5010c

biking is fun
    I do currently own both but i just finished building the socom up last night!!!

I love my slopestyle!!!! it is really fast, corners well, and loves being in the air. mine is built up around 34 pounds so its very flickable. it does do pretty good for rock gardens but it will be nowhere near as good as your socom.
    as for big drops the SS can handle it. check out robbie bourdon riding it at the redbull rampage. plus its pretty much the same tubing as the socom.

for what you are describing it would say get the new UZZI that is coming out. put a totem on it and you will have a perfect bike for what you are describing. plus its very adjustable.

not to steer you away from a SS but it does seem like a very good comprimise between the 2 and since you wont be riding resorts til summer you can easily wait for the uzzi.
    also the socom will sell better in the spring. i got my frame off ebay for 1200 and it had a pushed dhx and ti coil. they aren't going for much right now

Commit or eat sh!t
    I ride at parks like Mammoth or Northstar in California, and you definitely would need a bigger bike than SS. SS is a great bike but I feel more comfortable on a full DH/FR bike. SS feels better with a 6" fork than a 7" one. I would also think Socom would feel better on a 8" fork, as Totem would steepen the HA.

It seems like you got the right combination of bikes. You could sell your 5.5, and upgrade it to 6.6, SS, RFX, Nomad or something similar if you want to get more aggressive for trail riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

get a 180 mm sgl crown

Tony, I own a SS and have done a few rides on a mates Socom. The SS is a phantastic bike for parks as long as rock gardens don't get to rough (compare climbingbuddas impressions). Personally I don't think the SS could substitute your Socom - guess that's why quite a few people here actually own both. If I was you, I'd get a 180 mm single crown. Would not worry much about the HA. I think the gap in a2c between 180 to 200 is relatively small (compare specs on the Marzocchi homepage - i think it is just a few mm between the 2009 66 and 888). If you run a flush headset with your 8" fork you could also go for an external HS on your Totem to obtain the angles.

mtbr member
    As an fyi, the difference in axle to crown measurements between a Boxxer and Totem is only 3mm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    thats great. I guess for now I am going to hold onto the socom. I just lightened it up some with some xtr stuff and easton wheels and it is 35.5 pounds down from 39.5 pounds with heavier wheels and xt components so I will try it 1st this way to see how much the 4pounds makes a difference in the air, then maybe try a totem before getting a new frame. That is unless the new Uzzi doesn't stop looking so sweet. thanks to all for the help.
    santa cruz 5010c

biking is fun
    35.5 is light!!!! nice man

post up some pics!

my SS is 34 pounds so i wanted a heavy plow bike, thats why my socom is probably low 40's. haven't put it on the ole hang scale yet.

Gnarbar
    Quote Originally Posted by tony110672
    That is unless the new Uzzi doesn't stop looking so sweet.
    No danger of that happening anytime soon
    White/blue Intense Slopestyle
    Red 2011 Morewood Makulu

Sovereign Cycle | Lama Cycles | Morewood Bikes | Kali Protectives

mtbr member

Accurate comparisons

Tony, I've had my Socom/Boxxer for two years and love it for DH and occasional trail rides. I had a SS/Wotan pass thru my hands for a couple of weeks and took it to a DH day with my Socom. The SS was definitely a lighter riding bike and more nervous on rocky trails. My big negative reaction to the SS was many, many pedal strikes in the pedally rock infested singletrack trails linking the chutes. I parked the SS beside a bud's Socom and the BB appeared more than an inch lower at full sag. I know some prefer the lower BB for high speed cornering but on my trails, in my style, the Socom handled the combination of rock gardens, chutes, drops and pedaling better - still lovin' the Socom. (But waiting for the VPX)
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I ride a Socom at Diablo as well (probably run into you there) and it seems like the perfect bike for the place to me. If I were only doing Dominion, Alpine, IndyCross, and Tempest then a SS would probably be better, but on Deceit, Utah, BMW etc I will take all the help I can get. An M6 would probably be overkill, but I think the Socom is a good compromise.

Ideas Above My Station...
    FWIW i own an SS with a Totem and have been doing more and more DH with some seriously rough rooty & rocky stuff and lots of drops and jumps and love it. It also rules on thesmoother trails, the 4X and the jumps, but if i was doing mainly rough stuff, i might consider something else like the Socom?? - Personally i am considering the Uzzi as a replacement long term now i'm doing more DH. The higher BB is seriously attractive through the rock gardens deep rutted / rooty sections, but i have been massively impressed in how the SS has been great fun on everything i ride, DH, 4X, Jumping, FR, Trails etc. Epic XC hauls are the only thing i don't use it for.

Hope this helps a tiny bit? Good luck.
    Last edited by Orange-Goblin; 01-01-2009 at 10:25 AM.
    Its All Downhill From Here....!