Now with More Wood

Socom sizing and year models

I have my eyes on a used medium Socom, have a question on sizing: do they typically run a bit smaller or larger than indicated sizing? I'm 6.0, and the Intense sizing chart indicates the medium for 5"6 to 6"0, and the large from 5"10 to 6"4. I'm smack in the middle....what do you guys think? Is a medium enough, or will it feel too short?

Also, this is an '07 bike - have there been any major evolutions since then, ir is it still essentially the same bike? (You know, I'd hate to miss the critical addition of 20g of aluminium that keeps the chainstay from snapping, or the new headtube that doesn't ovalize, or whatever....you get the picture).

thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    get the medium, it will fit and all intense are designed around mediums, unless you have some freakishly long legs for your body

Yes there's a few changes that you will miss with an 07. ISG 05 instead of pre 05, search it you can see the pics of it, as its one piece and way stronger than the pre 05 versions tabs.

Extra cable guide in the middle of the down tube

Cables guides on underside of seatstays for both brake and gear instead of the top.

And I've also noticed they have FRO pivot bolts, with the heads machined out like on a spider FRO
    Last edited by snowball; 01-02-2009 at 08:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    No Socom's have ISCG 05. They are all ISCG-old.

The differences are:

1* slacker headangle for '08's
    3 cable guide tabs on downtube vs 2 on '07's
    FRO pivot bolts
    Different decals

As far as the rear cable guides being on the underside of the seatstays, this is a very recent thing. A vast majority of '08's (including mine.... have 2 of them) have them on the top. I've only seen 1 Socom with them on the bottom and the owner just received the frame from Intense in November. Personally, I'm glad mine are on the top.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I've had a Socom for every year they have made one and 3 of the guys that work here ride them. There are plenty around here. Stickers have all been the same. They claim slacker for 08 and 09 but the angle finder says no, they are the same. Yes, cable guides under the seatstays, all the frames we received last summer had that upgrade, I like it -cleans things up. 3 cable guides on the downtube is a big improvement, FRO Pivot bolts and yes, ISCG 05 mounts.

For sizing, It depends on your preferences. I ride BMX and a DJ Hardtail a lot too so I thought I would like the MED(I'm 6' 2") but at the beginning of 08 I switched to a LG, I also got a LG for my 09 bike. Huge improvement for me, felt a lot more stable. So if you want a playful feeling bike get a Med, If you want it to feel stable and racy get a large. It's all personal preference. Gee Atherton is 6' and rides a bike with a 22" toptube. What works for some people won't necessarily work for everyone.

Keep an eye out for the New Socom prototype JD Swanguen has been riding.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by bad63lac
    No Socom's have ISCG 05. They are all ISCG-old.

The new ones have ISCG-05 tabs just like the M6 now.

Now with More Wood
    Thanks for all the answers. Pretty good service level in this here forum... :-)

1 degree slacker - suits me fine, as I will be looking to do a bit of FR as well.
    FRO pivot bolts - don't know, should I care?
    ISCG old - again, don't really care, but snowball said the new ones are "way stronger" (in that area) - what, did any of them have breakage issues here???
    cable guides - I'd find a way to live with it...

thanks again.

Oh and I was going to ask if people liked the bike etc...."is it a good DH bike"...but I do think I know that answer to that question already. :-)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I think you would want a large unless you like short bikes. My friend is 6ft and says that when he gets a new socom he will buy a large as my medium is just a bit to short. I think compared to a lot of bike Intense seem short. Best to get your present bikes top tube length and compare the two.

I just had a new front half of the frame done on warranty as the tabs on the chainguide cracked. I think this was due to those new "shark fin" e13 light guides though. I have gone back to the old bashring again. Its a lot of stress through three little tabs.

Its an amazing dh bike. Compared to my uzzi, its feels a lot more controlled on the suspension. A bit like, what bumps? It corners like its on rails too. I'm sure you'll love it.

biking is fun
    there is alot of good info here, i was worried mine was an 07 cause i got it used but the guy said it was an 08 and it has the 3 cable guides on the downtube but it does have the pre 05 iscg tabs. ill have to meassure the HT angle when i get a chance.

i just finished building my socom and im 6 feet and its a large. it feels perfect with a 50mm stem on it. i have a SS too so i wanted it to be a plow/huck bike. i can't wait to try it.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz---@fsmail.net
    I think you would want a large unless you like short bikes. My friend is 6ft and says that when he gets a new socom he will buy a large as my medium is just a bit to short. I think compared to a lot of bike Intense seem short. Best to get your present bikes top tube length and compare the two.

I just had a new front half of the frame done on warranty as the tabs on the chainguide cracked. I think this was due to those new "shark fin" e13 light guides though. I have gone back to the old bashring again. Its a lot of stress through three little tabs.

Its an amazing dh bike. Compared to my uzzi, its feels a lot more controlled on the suspension. A bit like, what bumps? It corners like its on rails too. I'm sure you'll love it.
    My current bike has a 24" TT, but it's more of an all-mountain/enduro bike. The large Socom has a 24" TT as well...the medium only 1" shorter at 23".....tough call. I'll have to try and ride it first and then make up my mind.

mtbr member
    I'm 6ft and on a large and couldn't be happier. I'd say that at 6ft. you could go either way and be happy. You said you'll be doing some FR on it so a medium should be perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm pretty much right at 6' and ride a medium Socom and a medium 6.6. I'd be curious to try a large Socom, but I feel really comfortable on the medium. Like others are saying...you could really go with either. It's going to be down to whether you prefer a slightly smaller, more nimble bike or a bigger, more stable bike.

mtbr member
    They run big. Im 5'9" and Im on a small and its perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

tabs

iceman, here's the thread for the old vs new tabs, photos show the difference. But if your not running a taco chain device doesn't matter so much.

Busted Socom ISCG tab

Now with More Wood
    Well, so, I have been to try out the medium Socom, and it feels really good, actually. I could easily ride it in medium. However, when talking to the importer here, I ended up doubting if this is the right bike for me. He seemed worried about the frame (he may know this one specifically as they do not sell many Socoms here), talking about checking for cracks in the top tube around the main shock link pivot location - does that sound like a valid concern with any of you Socom guys? Because I do a bit of freeriding as well, he talked me out of the whole idea ("this is not the right bike for you....it's a lightweight race frame.....be very careful...." etc etc). I guess part of me knows he is right, but the other part of me doesn't want to give up on this VERY SEXY bike... . He told me an Uzzi would be much better for me.
    However, I'm not so keen on the Uzzi, I like low-slung bikes that rail well, I'm afraid the Uzzi is too much on the FR side....maybe I need to check out a Demo 8, Giant Glory, a Sunday, or perhaps even Session 88.....? Any advice from you guys in here?

thanks for your time....

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The older '07 ones had an issue with cracking around the weld on the top tube pivot point. The '08s have had that problem fixed. The way to tell them apart is that the '08s have three cable guides on the down tube. The '07s have two.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have an '07 and haven't had any problems, but I did see one with a cracked weld at that location. Do you know what changes were made on the '08 to eliminate this problem?

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by snailcruncher
    The older '07 ones had an issue with cracking around the weld on the top tube pivot point. The '08s have had that problem fixed. The way to tell them apart is that the '08s have three cable guides on the down tube. The '07s have two.
    Well, that pretty much rules this one out for me. Don't feel too happy about buying a frame that is known to crack....

What did Intense do about 07 frames with cracks in them? Replace them under warranty with 08 versions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yes. Just the front triangle though. I have an '08 and I love it. All I need now is those slacker dropouts...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Not sure what the failure rate actually was like...you'd be hard pressed to find a frame that someone hasn't cracked...

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by snailcruncher
    Yes. Just the front triangle though. I have an '08 and I love it. All I need now is those slacker dropouts...
    Thanks for the input. About the bike...will it put up with a bit of FR as well, or is that just asking for trouble like the LBS/importer seems to be telling me...?