Paper or plastic?

So Carbine 26 vs 27.5?

Anybody who has gone from a Carbine 26 to 27.5 wants to share his/her impressions? I've been riding the 26" for over a year, and the bike is a complete hoot. I'm just curious about the differences when switching to 650b wheels.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Paper or plastic?
    Seriously, nobody?

mtbr member
    I can't speak from personal experience, but in speaking with a local (very fast) rider, he said the differences between 26 and 27.5 are really only felt when you're really pushing it. Little bit more traction, little bit more rolling speed, little bit easier to get over things. But its not an obvious change, just a little one for the better.
    Stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I rode a Carbine 26" for a few months before swapping out the dropouts for 27.5" ones. I agree, the differences are small but it does roll better over obstacles and does give you a little better traction. The one thing that I noticed more than anything else is that the 27.5" wheels just seem to carry more speed in ALL conditions. So, with all of this said, there are NO penalties or trade offs by going with the larger 27.5" wheel unlike making the switch to a 29er. My biggest test was to see how well the 27.5" wheel could be manualed or wheelied. 29ers are usually horrible at this so I was pleasantly surprised at how the 27.5" wheel feels about the same as the 26" wheel when it comes to manuals and cornering. Because the 27.5" wheels dont seem to have any downside to them, I would strongly recommend going that route.
    Mine is built with Stans Crest wheels and a 160mm Fox 34 27.5" Float.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnw/bear View Post
    I rode a Carbine 26" for a few months before swapping out the dropouts for 27.5" ones. I agree, the differences are small but it does roll better over obstacles and does give you a little better traction. The one thing that I noticed more than anything else is that the 27.5" wheels just seem to carry more speed in ALL conditions. So, with all of this said, there are NO penalties or trade offs by going with the larger 27.5" wheel unlike making the switch to a 29er. My biggest test was to see how well the 27.5" wheel could be manualed or wheelied. 29ers are usually horrible at this so I was pleasantly surprised at how the 27.5" wheel feels about the same as the 26" wheel when it comes to manuals and cornering. Because the 27.5" wheels dont seem to have any downside to them, I would strongly recommend going that route.
    Mine is built with Stans Crest wheels and a 160mm Fox 34 27.5" Float.
    Thanks. Put another way. Are the benefits from going from 26 to 27.5 worth $2k (wheels, dropouts, fork, tires, etc.)?

mtbr member
    Hey zorg, I rode my Tracer2 for about a year before converting it to 27.5 and I think Ridnw hit it right on the head and I would say just about the exact same thing, subtle but very noticable differences that I really like.

What kind of fork are you riding now? Are you sure it is not 27.5 compatible? That would cut your cost almost in half and make it much more manageable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I agree with Trojans1993. Try selling your old 26" stuff to offset the costs.
    Is it worth $2000 to go to 27.5??? I guess only you can answer that. I think it was but I like having new stuff every couple years. Also, I know many will argue this but I think 26" will be DEAD in the next couple years other than DH and women's bikes. It would be better to switch now while you can get max $$$ for the 26" stuff. Again, there are NO BAD TRADE OFFS by going to 27.5" so why ride a 26" other than not wanting to spend the $$$. Hope this helps.

Also to quote your bottom tag line.
    "Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun"
    Is MORE FUN worth $2K?

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnw/bear View Post
    I agree with Trojans1993. Try selling your old 26" stuff to offset the costs.
    Is it worth $2000 to go to 27.5??? I guess only you can answer that. I think it was but I like having new stuff every couple years. Also, I know many will argue this but I think 26" will be DEAD in the next couple years other than DH and women's bikes. It would be better to switch now while you can get max $$$ for the 26" stuff. Again, there are NO BAD TRADE OFFS by going to 27.5" so why ride a 26" other than not wanting to spend the $$$. Hope this helps.

Also to quote your bottom tag line.
    "Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun"
    Is MORE FUN worth $2K?
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback. I ride a 2011 Revolution RLT, which won't be 650b compatible. If I were to switch to 650b, I'd probably go with a Pike based on all the feedback I've read so far, or got from the person I pinged at Intense. I'll probably make the switch next year. The bike's still tons of fun in 26".