mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Should I buy a Intense Uzzi vpx 2007

Hi everybody,

first of all I'm from spain so sorry for "my" english

My actual bike is a lapierre zesty (something like a santa cruz blur lt) 140 mm rear and front, and i want something more hard because i am doing now a lot of difficult trails with difficult donwhills.

So I have the ocassion to buy an Intense Uzzi Vpx 2007 from second hand, I want to use the bike for am-trail use, so its a good bike?, there's some problem with that frame?

the bike set up is with a fox dhx air 5.0 and a fox float 160.

So please give me some ideas, cause i don't know what to do

thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hi Mack-tiger, I have an '07 VPX set up for pretty aggressive use and I would say that if you are keeping the Lapierre it would be worth putting some 180 or 200mm forks on - 160mm is simply too short for this bike as the head angle is quite steep already. If you want to spin the bars, you will need a step-down lower headset race as the controls on modern forks will hit the down tube and get damaged; Slacker G3 dropouts from Powell Precision and an angle set will help the geometry and keep the bike stable at speed. I have slackers and offset shock bushings on mine but the tyre rubs slightly on the front mech cable mount on bottom out - only very slightly though.
    I have no experience of the DHX, mine has a Van R, if you do change to coil (probably better for this bike) get one with bottom out control or end-of-stroke rebound or something similar as the VPX's VPP suspension (which works just fine) absorbs big landings but tends to stop dead. I have Saint 170mm cranks/mech and an E*thirteen LG1+ on mine, keeps it running silent with no issues. I ride rough, steep trails and am thinking of swapping the Totems for Fox 40's.
    The seat post tube became warped due to all the welding in the factory and it's a common problem for the seat post to only go down 5" which is a pain - it needs reaming or a dropper post if you are thinking of pedaling a lot
    All in all, I would say the VPX can be a fun and cheap(ish) DH/freeride bike but needs the geometry updating. Make sure there are no cracks or dings on the lower link - the bearings aren't too difficult to replace and it's a good thing to do, people talk about a flexy rear end, but I give mine abuse and it soaks it all up no problem, Intense over-built the VPX and very few were returned under warranty, build it up slack and burly and it will go forever

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks a lot Simeon10, you have helped me a lot. Now i know how is the bike i want to buy.

The problem is that the idea wa to change my lapierre for this Uzzi, and now i can see that i can't do the same with this bike than my lapierre. This bike is going to be so much for what i need.

Thanks again Simeon10

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Simeon10, i am expecting a VPX soon, do you think getting a pair of offset shock bushings are enough to lower the bb height and head angle to make it better? i do have an angleset here but i already have a fork (totem) for it which has a 1.5" steerer and won't fit my angleset. the slacker dropout looks like a good option except it costs a lot, and i'm on a budget (that's why it's a used VPX and not a newish frame). i appreciate your reply to Mack-tiger though, very informative.

外国人
    Jun 2007
    expect the vpx to be heavier than the zesty and make sure to replace the bearings when you buy it i am going through an issue now where we had to drill out the main pivot bolt to change the bearing nearest the crank and our work was cut out for us. it is a relatively old frame but very burly and you can do anything with it save for the steepest climbs. i have one in works grey and i am very happy with it!
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    That's good to hear. I got mine hoping it would be a fun and forgiving bike to play around with. I'm seriously considering offset rear shock bushings though so i can lower the bb and slacken the ha a bit. I just dunno if i will get problems with metal to metal contacts with the links/frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Smile VPX Geometry

Quote Originally Posted by DexTan View Post
    Simeon10, i am expecting a VPX soon, do you think getting a pair of offset shock bushings are enough to lower the bb height and head angle to make it better? i do have an angleset here but i already have a fork (totem) for it which has a 1.5" steerer and won't fit my angleset. the slacker dropout looks like a good option except it costs a lot, and i'm on a budget (that's why it's a used VPX and not a newish frame). i appreciate your reply to Mack-tiger though, very informative.
    I have the slacker drop-outs from Powel Precision and off-set bushings in mine and it's very stable at speed. There are some issues I seem to be having, first is that the off-set bushings seem have altered the shock characteristics. I am finding it stays compressed to long in big landings and fast berms - the VPP suspension is partly responsible for this. (I have just installed off-sets in my Blur LT which has the same type of suspension and have noticed a similar issue with it's Monarch air shock - I now run it with 40psi more pressure!) I am running the VPX with a Fox Van RC but I think a shock with bottom out control or ending stroke rebound control like a Vivid might be better for helping it to snap out of tight spots.
    The other issue with off-sets in the VPX is that when bottomed out the rear tyre will rub slightly on the front mech cable mount - not a lot, but it certainly made me pay attention when it first happened!
    I will probably go for an off-set head set and put a straight bush in the back end of the shock, too many ways to throw money at a bike these days

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Simeon10 View Post
    I have the slacker drop-outs from Powel Precision and off-set bushings in mine and it's very stable at speed. There are some issues I seem to be having, first is that the off-set bushings seem have altered the shock characteristics. I am finding it stays compressed to long in big landings and fast berms - the VPP suspension is partly responsible for this. (I have just installed off-sets in my Blur LT which has the same type of suspension and have noticed a similar issue with it's Monarch air shock - I now run it with 40psi more pressure!) I am running the VPX with a Fox Van RC but I think a shock with bottom out control or ending stroke rebound control like a Vivid might be better for helping it to snap out of tight spots.
    The other issue with off-sets in the VPX is that when bottomed out the rear tyre will rub slightly on the front mech cable mount - not a lot, but it certainly made me pay attention when it first happened!
    I will probably go for an off-set head set and put a straight bush in the back end of the shock, too many ways to throw money at a bike these days
    offset bushings and slackers? how low is your bb? i have the slackers on my ss1 and the bb feels mighty low

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    vpx is much better frames then vp from 2009-2011. friend has 5-7years old vpx . My vp cracked after 2,5 years