mtbr member

Shock options for a 6.6 + other questions...

Hi
    I'm looking to get a new frame and have come across a used Intense 6.6 that's looks like a great deal.
    I've read great things about the 6.6 but wa wondering if it's possible to build it up quite light for normal xc/am duties? I've got a set of Fox Float 32's (150mm 15QR) that I'd be looking to use.
    Also, are there any options for a lighter air shock? The one I'm looking at has a 5th element coil on. Could I use something like an RP23.
    These may be pointless questions as it's probably not designed for a light build but I thought that if I don't ask, I won't know..
    Cheers
    Steve

mtbr member

30#

An old riding buddy had one built up under 30# so it's possible to make it lightish.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Quote Originally Posted by deesta View Post
    Hi
    I'm looking to get a new frame and have come across a used Intense 6.6 that's looks like a great deal.
    I've read great things about the 6.6 but wa wondering if it's possible to build it up quite light for normal xc/am duties? I've got a set of Fox Float 32's (150mm 15QR) that I'd be looking to use.
    Also, are there any options for a lighter air shock? The one I'm looking at has a 5th element coil on. Could I use something like an RP23.
    These may be pointless questions as it's probably not designed for a light build but I thought that if I don't ask, I won't know..
    Cheers
    Steve
    The Fox Float RP23 is a good shock for this bike. when I had my 6.6 I first ran it with the stock Fox DHX Air (sucked - wallowed, hard to tune), Fox DHX5 Coil (rocked, but heavy-ish), Fox RP23 (light, easy to setup but not as plush as coil obviously).

For forks I first ran a Manitou Sherman Firefly (150mm) then a Marzocchi Z1 Light (also 150mm). With a decently sturdy build the bike was never more than 31lbs so you can definitely build it up under 30lbs.

I would also recommend looking into getting a bolt-up rear axle and either offset shock bushings or an Angleset headset. There are are a few threads on this topic already but the biggest complaints about this bike (and I agree) were the flexy rear end, the high bottom bracket and steep-ish head angle. Not bad for XC but didn't ride like the AM bike it was supposed to be.

Hope this is helpful

Team 5Hunner
    Feb 2010
    The frame on its own is actually really light, so its all down to build in my humble opinion.

I have to agree with the comments on the DHX5 Air, was not a good match for this frame. I run a DHX4 Coil and the bike is awesome on it - heavy though. RP23 is a great choice, you could go all bling and get it with Kashima too

My 6.6 is heavy at 36lbs, but its set up and specced for gravity work, and I just grin and bear it on the climbs. I have added offset bushings and found it really helped with the head angle. I also run 160mm downhill spec coil Lyrik. I love the bike
    My current rides.
    Intense 6.6 coil/coil AM.
    Commencal Max Max Superteam jump bike.

suspension whore
    There are a bunch of threads about the DHX's wallow and off set bushings.
    I also have Bolt on rear end, Marz 170mm fork, ccdb coil, offset bushings and beefy rims/tires.
    Mine is about 36 lbs as well. How does his help you, it dosnt, except to let you know that there are a lot of people who spent a bunch of time twaeking there rides and posting about it hear in an attempt to get the bike to ride the way they hoped a 6.7 inch bike would handle.
    At the time not many people were trying to make for a long travel, light XC cruiser.
    Curioua to hear how it works out for you - for mine, I'm still really happy with how the bike still rides.
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess what I'm really looking for is something I can build fairly light for my normal riding then add a few different parts for the weekends away/alp trips etc.
    The one I'm looking at at the moment has a 5th element coil on so that woudl be something to swap out with, maybe, an RP23 for normal use. I've also got an old pair of Fox Talas 36's that are in need of some work so, again, I could use them for the bigger stuff and the 32 Floats for normal.
    I've got my fingers crossed that it doesn't go before I've got the funds. If it does I've also got my eye on a v1.5 Banshee Rune which, from what I can see, are very similar..
    Cheers
    steve

Team Chilidog!
    Got a friend of mine in a similar situation. He's looking for a coil for his new to him 2007 Intense 6.6. Do you guys know the eye-to-eye and stroke length of it?

Also, it looks like the head tube is a 1.5in head tube with a 1 1/8in steerer fork in it. How much slacker can he make the bike? 1.5 degrees? The bike looks like it's got a fairly steep head angle and the BB height is really high.

mtbr member
    Picking the frame up tonight...

Just need to work out how to set up the 5th Element Coil...

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Got a friend of mine in a similar situation. He's looking for a coil for his new to him 2007 Intense 6.6. Do you guys know the eye-to-eye and stroke length of it?

Also, it looks like the head tube is a 1.5in head tube with a 1 1/8in steerer fork in it. How much slacker can he make the bike? 1.5 degrees? The bike looks like it's got a fairly steep head angle and the BB height is really high.
    If memory serves me I think it is a 7.875 x 2.25 shock.

I fix your broken ****!
    Quote Originally Posted by MondoRides View Post
    If memory serves me I think it is a 7.875 x 2.25 shock.
    7.875x2.25 is correct. Also, reducers will be 24.6mm in the front and 33.6mm in the rear