mtbr member

shock mount torque values?

as i'm a new owner to a sweet '03 tracer i'm wondering how tight the bolts to the shock, both at the frame and the link, should be?

unrelated (but also newbie question): i assume it is okay to have the seat post come down a bit (1.5") below the bottom of the seat tube (above the shock) since it appears there is no way it can make contact w/ the shock in the normal (i.e. non-failure) range of travel?

thanks in advance.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

www.derbyrims.com

hand tight

Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    as i'm a new owner to a sweet '03 tracer i'm wondering how tight the bolts to the shock, both at the frame and the link, should be?

unrelated (but also newbie question): i assume it is okay to have the seat post come down a bit (1.5") below the bottom of the seat tube (above the shock) since it appears there is no way it can make contact w/ the shock in the normal (i.e. non-failure) range of travel?

thanks in advance.
    I'm guessing about 15 ft.lbs. for those little bolts. I tighten with small wrenches by hand with no more leverage than my hand width distance from center, and not maximum possible effort.

Yea, just leave over 1/2 inch seat post above the shock body or coil spring in case the post slips on a big compression.

That reminds me I was thinking of drilling little holes for top height and a couple lowered heights in the back of my seatpost to slide a nail through the little post top-out view hole in the tube. It would help quickly measure height and center the seat and keep it from creeping down slowly over time under my near clyde weight.

- ray

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    That reminds me I was thinking of drilling little holes for top height and a couple lowered heights in the back of my seatpost to slide a nail through the little post top-out view hole in the tube. It would help quickly measure height and center the seat and keep it from creeping down slowly over time under my near clyde weight.
    hmmm, interesting thought. wonder though if that would affect the structural integrity of the post? (somewhere a thomson engineer is smacking his forehead-- "D'OH! warranty void!").

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Members who have read this thread: 0