mtbr member

Setback seatpost on Spider 29?

Hi All, anyone here run a setback seatpost on their Spider 29? I'm right on the border between a medium and large and am going with the smaller size. I need to get a new seatpost to fit the frame anyway, and I'm thinking I might like the weight slightly more over the rear wheel. I know this will all depend on the feel, but it's a hard thing to test out without buying something...

If you are running this combination, knowing your height would be helpful. Thanks!

E

mtbr member
    Unless the seat angle changes from one model to the next, going down a size shouldnt affect whether you want a setback post or not. You'll only have have more exposed post with the smaller frame.

Your setback is determined by your pedalling fit and the length of your thighs rather than any toptube or reach measurements. You should not ever use a setback post to make up for extra reach in a smaller frame as you will just be setting yourself up for problems down the road by riding in a worse pedalling position.

If the smaller frame has a steeper seat tube angle to provide rear tire clearance on a smaller frame then you might want a setback post to get your saddle where it should be.

mtbr member
    Good point, GTscoob. Of course you are right - I was getting a little hasty. Guess I'll do it right and get some measurements done to determine the right seatpost. Thanks!

E

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Setback should be added if you have long femurs that put your knees in front of your spindles as this strains your knee. As poster said above, frame size should have no bearing in this at same seat angle.