I fix your broken ****!

San Juan Trail Demo Day! 12/8/12

Come join us for a great day of riding on our lineup of demo bikes! Shuttles and food provided to first 50 pre-registered riders! See flyer for info
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails San Juan Trail Demo Day! 12/8/12-san-juan-demo.jpg  

Let's Ride

Great Day - Thanks Intense

I attended Intense's Demo Day. When I registered for the event, Intense asked me for my desired frame size, body weight and pedal preference. When I arrived, the team at Intense shuttled the riders to the top of the San Juan Trail. At the top, the fleet of Intense bikes was waiting for us lucky riders. My bike was tagged with my name and it was already adjusted for me. How cool is that!!! The Intense crew also double checked that everything on the bike was adjusted to my liking.

I currently ride a Carbine SL (26" wheels) and I wanted to try different wheel sizes. For the demo day, I signed up for the Spider 29 Comp. The San Juan Trail is a perfect place to put a bike through its paces. The Spider 29 did not disappoint. In the past, I test rode a 29er from a different manufacturer and I was not impressed. I wanted to give a 29er another shot and what better company than Intense. Having ridden 26" wheels for years, I was expecting a big learning curve on the Spider 29 Comp. That was not the case. After just a few minutes, I found myself to be very comfortable on the bike. The large wheels really rode over the rough stuff and easily handled the drops. I also noticed that the big wheels have a great deal of momentum and getting up to speed is much quicker than I expected. Thank goodness that the bike was equipped with great brakes (XT). The bike was very quiet on the descent due to Shimano's Plus rear derailleur. I have ridden this trail on several occasions in the past and the descent on the Spider 29 Comp was my fastest ever.

At the end of the ride, Intense had lunch and beer waiting for us. Everyone arrived with a smile on their face and very hungry from the ride. The lunch was a welcome treat.

After lunch, the bikes were setup for the next group of riders. Since I had such a great time on the morning ride, I asked if I could ride the trail again. Luckily, a large was available. Johnny of Intense even offered his personal bike, but fortunately a demo bike was available - I would have hated to crash Johnny's bike! This time I rode a Carbine 275. As wheel size implies, the Carbine 275 is right in-between 26" and 29". I found that the Carbine 275 was a great compromise between 26" and 29" wheels. The Carbine 275 was able to soak up the technical sections like the 29" wheels and corner like the 26" wheels. I can definitely see in the future 27.5" wheels will be the norm.

Now that I have experienced all the various wheel sizes, one would think that the wheel size of choice would be obvious, but it is not. Intense makes such great bikes that it still difficult to choose. Since I already have a 26" bike, adding a 29er to my collection is probably the way to go.

Many thanks to everyone at Intense (Jeff, Jenn, Johnny, Sam, Mike, Andrew, Jake, etc.).

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm on very limited internet time...

I rode a medium Spider 29 comp in the afternoon session and was surprised at how much fun it was. The few reviews out use words like 'shocked' and I am right in line with those sentiments. I've been on 29'ers ever since I started riding way back in 11' and I was surprised at how much more maneuverable it was than my Salsa Spearfish (71 deg head angle) given that it was slacker (dat chain-stay length) and had more travel than the other 29'ers I've ridden. This was the kind of bike that can be used as an example how one single spec can not define/limit a bike.

I rode the carbine (275) earlier that week and was very happy to have wheels that allowed themselves to be manual'd easily and a bike that even a newb could bunnyhop (small height) on, but then the Spider 29 Comp was the same way!

I look forward to selling my current stable and likely go to a Spider as a designated quiver bike.

If anyone wants to know something specific about my experience then post up and I (and hopefully others) will reply...when ever I get internet again :/

Johnny was an awesome tech who discussed some of the finer details of riding set-up with me. Sam was a great ride sweeper who encouraged me to ride smoother to ride faster and better all-around. Jeff shared his knowledge with on VPP and wheel size differences at the Jenson monthly ride. Thanks guys!

I fix your broken ****!
    Thanks for coming out guys! Stoked that everyone had a good time and enjoyed the bikes. We appreciate the positive reviews!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Dang, now I can't wait for my spider to show up. Hurry up and crank those things out! Sounds like a great time!

Pirate!!!
    Hey Sam, any chance of a Nor-Cal Demo day in the future? That Spider is calling my name.

I fix your broken ****!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb View Post
    Hey Sam, any chance of a Nor-Cal Demo day in the future? That Spider is calling my name.
    You just missed us in San Jose less than a month ago! Stay updated with our blog/facebook page for all demo tour events.

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-IntenseCustServ View Post
    You just missed us in San Jose less than a month ago! Stay updated with our blog/facebook page for all demo tour events.
    Thanks Sam! You're on it bro! I just got that email from you about my tracer, great customer service!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Thank you, Intense folks!

Dear Sam, Jenn, Andrew, Johnny, Dennis, and those whose names I didn't get:

Thank you very much for including us in the Intense Demo Day on Saturday at San Juan Trail - our entire gang had a GREAT time!

You guys really know how to put on a first-class event and we were very grateful to be able to attend; your people were super-friendly and helpful, San Juan Trail was great as always, and the bikes were amazing...personally, I was very impressed by the Carbine 275 and am seriously considering this as my next bike purchase.

Please give our thanks to everyone who made this event happen, and happy holidays to all.

Best wishes for the new year,
    Drew
    (from the ECC group)

GT
    Oct 2009

275 is my next wheel size

Thank you Andrew, Jen and the Gang.

Had such a great time on the Tracer 275 (Up and Down) only wish I could have ridden the Carbine in the afternoon.

As someone pointed out, they set up the bike perfectly before I took off.

The Tracer 275 felt very familiar but a little more stable on the way down and peddling up SJT was a breeze even with the larger wheel size than my 26. I think the rear end is even a tad stiffer than my 26 tracer. I also enjoyed the silence of the Shadow rear deraileur, the ride made me a believer,

I am saving up now for my 275 Carbine and hope to order by summer.

Thanks for the Sammy and Ale, Cheers!

Gary T.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

29r Spider Comp Suspension Travel

Hey Art.C & Koertle,

Do you know what the suspension configuration was on the bikes you test rode? Curious if they were set up in 4.5" travel or 5" mode. 120 or 140 travel forks?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My bike, and all spiders afaik, were set up 130/5". That's what i was told they came stock and the tech I axed could not confirm if the fork could be adjusted +-10mm like 11' the Rebas I own. We know that the fork is rated for 120-140 but not if the fork is internally convertible to that range. Makes sense it would be but idklol.

As always, i suggest that you work with your lbs to attain your ideal configuration at the best price.