mtbr member
    Oct 2005

ROCO AIR TST R or ROCO AIR 3PL for 6.6

Would either of these be an improvment over the DHX Air on my 6.6? Has anybody tried them? Just cant seem to get the DHX air tuned right but would rather stick to a air shock.

Ride Hard, Ride Fast!!!
    I had the same issues when I first bought my 6.6. I switched to Roco TST R coil on the 6.6 and big difference.

On my 5.5 I switched to the 3PL. I had to play around w/it, but I think I have it where it needs to be

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    2 problems with that, 1, I would like to stick with air. 2, local importer does not bring in the coil in the right length.

mtbr member
    I kept playing around with air shock, owned traditional fox float, Manitou Swinger Air 3-way and 4-way, Rockshox Pearl 3.1 on other frames and lastly Manitou IPX-4 on 6.6 frame, but I wasn't totally satisfied for the plushness. When I get plushness then I would have problem bottoming. Then I changed the shock to Roco TST R on the 6.6, I was so much more happy with how it worked. I was able to get fully plush to fully firm for pedaling.
    Full filled with 6.6 then migrating to Slope Style for more. "Intense Slope Style Central"

Broken and dizzy

I went with the TST-R coil and a Ti spring....MUCH, MUCH better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I do get that but I cant get the coil ones here. But they do have the air ones. Ive read good things about the Roco airs to. just hope that some body on here has tried one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Anybody?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    From what I have read so far it would seem the both of these shocks would need up to 100psi less than my DHX. That got to be a good thing?

mtbr member
    Rockshox Pearl was like that, considerably low air pressure. It worked good and Pearl had cushion for the bottom out which I thought a good idea.

If you want coil shocks, contact E2@CC he will take care of you good. That's what I do.
    Full filled with 6.6 then migrating to Slope Style for more. "Intense Slope Style Central"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I kinda dont want a coil. I would love to stay air, just working out which is the best shock for it.

Did you run a pearl on the 6.6?

mtbr member
    I just wanted to stress how much I prefer coil shocks after going through pretty much every airshocks to mimic coil feel but I certainly didn't, so, but if wait shaving is more important to you it is a different story. What I did with my bike is that I invested on lighter and strong wheel set like Mavic Crossmax SX and people still get amazed how light my bike feel even with coil shocks.

Anyhow, I had the Pearl on 5.5 which was more built to do agressive riding like 4X.
    http://web.mac.com/kakuito/Intense_6...ized.html#grid

It felt so much better than 5th Element Air.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Its not a weight issue. Im 220lbs so a few extra grams on the bike mean nothing. I like the adjustability and I want to buy local so servicing is not an issue in the future.

mtbr member
    Ok, I feel you, but I'm in Japan and if I had to live with the local dealers and distributors, I won't get my stuff in three days. Competitive Cycle being specialized in Intense, staff like Eric being enthusiastic Intense owner and their vast stock of things especially the stuff you need for Intense bikes like dropouts and extra bolts and replacement parts, and finally knowledge about how you can optimize the products, all of these facts easily beat ordinary local shop and even some specialized shops. In my case it voids the warranty so I can't buy Intense frame from CC, but if I didn't have that limitation, I would buy everything from CC. I won't know the relationship with you and your local dealer, so I won't say anything about that, but them not having coilshock in stock so you can kinda feel the difference won't help you with making a good decision, that is what I think. I probably went through many of the same frustrations choosing parts and frames as you do, then just letting you know the options . I just wanted to share my findings with you.

Man, I tell ya, if you don't mind the weight you should go with coil. Me being 70kgs, the differences between air to coil was enormous.

What are the features you care about that you think coil does not have and air does?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Well if I went coil it would be fox which I can get here. I just like the idea of the roco tst air. Also I have no idea` where to start on spring rate which is not an issue on an air shock. And I run a 36 Talas rc2 I dont want to run an air fork and coil rear.

mtbr member
    E2@CC can tell you what coil rate from your riding style and your weight especially for 6.6 frame. We corresponded few times about Roco TST R for my 6.6 and the coil rate he recommended was dead on. Down side of coil might be not flexible for different weight but if it was right for you, it is less complicated to adjust the rebound and compression than airshock. Your local shock should be able to recommend you the right rate, too. Another way is to get Pushed fox rearshock so Push will figure out the right coil rate and even modify the sim setting to suit even better for your ride style.

I changed the Manitou Evolver IPX6 (air shock with most controls including positive air, progressive air volume, 4 position progressive settings, rebound, high speed compression and low speed compression) but I could never tune this shock for my drastic range in riding style. If I set it to feel good normally, it would bottom out even with all of those extra anti-bottom out features, and if I set it not to bottom out then it would be too stiff and won't suck small bumps. Changing to Roco TST R made the ride so much more plush, but with the TST setting, I was able to make it firm to pedal when I want it to be.

If you are riding not drasticly, airshock would be very flexible in setting up with different spring rate, but if you do some drops and go thrugh some rugh stuff then coild will do better jobs for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Try RP23 "Pushed"

I just gave up in my DHX Air and went with a RP23 "pushed". What a difference. It feels really firm when I want it to, and plenty plush when I need it... as a bonus it shaved an additional 1/2 pound on the bike, so now hits under 29 lbs with pedals.

I don't know about the Roco, sorry, just thought I'd throw in my $.02 for a good air setup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Ive pretty much decided to go with the the Roco Air TST. We will see how it works out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    HI OneBikeGuy ! Greetings from Portugal . Just to ask you : what size is your frame ? Is it SMALL or MEDIUM?

Good rides!

Pedro Granadeiro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sboom
    HI OneBikeGuy ! Greetings from Portugal . Just to ask you : what size is your frame ? Is it SMALL or MEDIUM?

Good rides!

Pedro Granadeiro
    Mine was (is) small size frame.

mtbr member
    It would be interesting to know the result. Keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBikeGuy
    Mine was (is) small size frame.

So... if I understood, both your old 6.6 and your new slopestyle frames are SMALL size.Correct?

Im just 5.4" (1,66m) and i am trying to guess if the standover height is confortable.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Yes, mediums would be too large for me.
    Stand over height of SS is very low than most bikes I would think.
    I'm like 5'3".

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NZSpokes
    Anybody?
    I have a brand new 7.8 x 2.25 ROCO AIR TST-R if your interasted in a swap. It is a more linear shock than the DHX, but ramps up more towards the end stroke. Might work well with the falling rate of a 6.6. My bike has a low leverage ratio and I'm a lighter rider and can't get full stroke on the ROCO, so the DHX may work better for my setup.