外国人
    Jun 2007

reverb dropper post for an intense uzzi vpx large

hi, anybody tried using a reverb dropper post on an old 2007 intense uzzi vpx? i am trying to measure the correct length but i read somewhere that the seat tubes for a couple of batches of vpxs were not reamed hence you cannot fully utilize the entire length of the seat tube (i might be wrong).

i am looking into getting this:
    seat tube size - 31.6mm
    length - 380mm
    lever - right hand lever with 125mm drop.

rider size - 6' and no idea how long my legs and arms (fit is personal hehehe)

i know i should break out the measuring tape and do the measurements myself but just wondering if anybody out there did this (or is anyone there still have a vpx ).

thank you!
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Metanoia View Post
    hi, anybody tried using a reverb dropper post on an old 2007 intense uzzi vpx? i am trying to measure the correct length but i read somewhere that the seat tubes for a couple of batches of vpxs were not reamed hence you cannot fully utilize the entire length of the seat tube (i might be wrong).

i am looking into getting this:
    seat tube size - 31.6mm
    length - 380mm
    lever - right hand lever with 125mm drop.

rider size - 6' and no idea how long my legs and arms (fit is personal hehehe)

i know i should break out the measuring tape and do the measurements myself but just wondering if anybody out there did this (or is anyone there still have a vpx ).

thank you!
    Hi, same problem here. '07 VPX has plenty of weld around the seat tube - so much so that the heat has warped the tube, try putting a rule along it and you'll see what I mean.

I have an SDG I Beam post, but it was only going into the frame by 4 -5 inches, I cut off some of the post to get it in to start with. This bugged me for about a year, so I started looking for a reamer. Non of my local bike shops had one but I eventually found an adjustable one on ebay and got it for £23. This was pretty lucky as new ones are about £150. I used a spanner on one end and slowly reamed the tube out. It worked! I can now easily higher and lower my seat tube, but I did have to modify the clamp afterwards with a file as the reamer took out more material from the open end of the tube than I expected because of the warp

The VPX is all faff! Have you measured the rear wheel spacing yet?

I use mine for DH, it has slacker G3 dropouts, 1 offset shock bush and a 1.5 degree Works Components angleset and 888's. It works well, but its an ongoing saga!

外国人
    Jun 2007
    thanks for the tip on the reamer!

i am also having the same experience with the uzzi vpx, it is sooo bomb proof that it goes on and on. it was a dh bike in its previous "life" but and now it is primarily a trail bike "overkill" as i am a fat dude at 250 without armor, I need all the burliness i can get. you are right, it is an "on-going" saga, and am actually thinking of retiring it and getting a newish bike with updated geometry (not to mention lighter!) but i think at the present state, i would be keeping it as it is.

when things get a bit better, i might look into having it reamed and installing a dropper post.

cheers!

外国人
    Jun 2007
    ha, just realized i had this thread on here. i finally pulled the trigger recently as they were on sale on crc.

i went with the 380mm right hand external type; 380mm because i thought that the 400mm was too long and right hand because i wanted to place the push button under my left hand grip (as i am running 1x10).

fortunately, there were no problems around the seat tube as i was able to insert the reverb way past the minimum insertion point and up to the "knuckle" where the stanchion begins.

so insertion done, i just had to deal with the sizing and the routing. thanks to gn's videos, i was able to resize and bleed the whole system relatively easily (now i believe what the others said where it was actually easier to bleed this kind of system as compared to changing cables on lever actuated dropper posts).

will post pics soon cheers!