Lone Wolf McQuade

Removing the bearings...

... on a 5.5, can I use this tool?

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mo...43.2123.0.html

Does anyone else you know carry something like this? Will it work?

Thanks, Matt
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Interesting- I believe that is a press. If you notice the print below it, it says comes with bearing puller. I would like to see what their puller looks like.

You can make a bearing press with a bolt, washer, and nut. You will find pics of this or I can can send you if you need.
    It's not the falling that hurts, it is the sudden stop at the bottom!

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsfan
    Interesting- I believe that is a press. If you notice the print below it, it says comes with bearing puller. I would like to see what their puller looks like.

You can make a bearing press with a bolt, washer, and nut. You will find pics of this or I can can send you if you need.
    Is there a "homemade" bearing pulling system out there?
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Are you looking for a bearing press or bearing puller?
    It's not the falling that hurts, it is the sudden stop at the bottom!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beagledadi
    Is there a "homemade" bearing pulling system out there?

I know PeachyB made something a few years ago that worked good for him.
    Maybe pm him ?
    RTW.

mtbr member
    Can anyone post what a home-made bearing puller and press look like. I can imagine what a press would look like, which could also be a C-clamp (http://www-ece.rice.edu/~jdw/figs/c_clamp_2.jpg)

Mucho gracias.....

Regards,
    KW

rain rain go away...
    I did make one. it's out of washers, threaded rod and nuts. the only thing that is machined was the "cup" that would allow the bearing to come out of it's cavity and into this "cup". it's just like a lid of a grape juice plastic bottle but has a cavity size slightly larger than the size of the bearing. of course it's also thicker to handle the compression when the bearing is being pulled out. you tighten the nut and this pushes the bearing out gently and evenly. sorry i don't have a picture bec i'm located half way across the world from where this tool is kept. duh!

oh and yeah it looks like that.... what u posted.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Blurs have exposed lower bearing area (kind of like upper pivots on Intense bikes) where you can use standard pullers (or sockets/clamps). There might be some really high tech puller out there, but most people I know just use punches to get the bearings out.

mtbr member
    The proper tool for the job is something like this. The correct size puller is inserted into the bearing. When the bolt is tightened the "claws" spread out and hold the inner race. You then screw the slide hammer into the puller and knock the bearing out.

However, I've just fitted a new set and it is very easy to knock the old set out with a screw driver and a hammer from the inside. It takes a few taps.

Nothing more than a large bolt, nut and correct size washers is needed to press in new bearings.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

rain rain go away...
    i don't want a hammer anywhere close to my bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peachy-B
    i don't want a hammer anywhere close to my bike.
    You probably also don't want rocks anywhere close to your bike!

That is the way Intense recommends you do it. If you are too ham fist-ed to place a few light taps, you could use a rubber hammer, pay the $200 plus for bearing extractors or get a professional to do it for you.

Ronnie.
    Last edited by Ronnie; 01-13-2009 at 06:02 AM.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

rain rain go away...
    yeah i just hate rocks near my bike. especially when they smack right on the stanchion.

as much as I love the products coming off Intense, I don't necessarily take their recommendations as the final word. you wanna use a hammer.... go ahead. I prefer using something that's gentler... and proper IMO.

mtbr member
    I don't see how you find it problematic. It's not as if you are going to take wild swings at it with the hammer. Three or four taps on alternate sides of the bearing from a few inches away is all that's needed to pop a bearing out.

Ronnie.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by peachy-B
    as much as I love the products coming off Intense, I don't necessarily take their recommendations as the final word. you wanna use a hammer.... go ahead. I prefer using something that's gentler... and proper IMO.
    If you refuse to use a hammer on your bike, how do you remove headset bearing cups?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    With a headset cup remover and his forehead of course...

rain rain go away...
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    If you refuse to use a hammer on your bike, how do you remove headset bearing cups?
    i was just waiting for someone to post that question.... i did that once when i went from a regular to a CC flush type. yup, i had to use a hammer obviously. but then how often are u guys changing your headset cups?

you guys are not sticking to the issue though.... so if you have access to a bearing removal tool such as the one posted by the OP, would you not rather use that than a screwdriver and a hammer? if you have access to a lathe, would u not make one yourself. i made my own bearing removal tool, hadley wrenches, shock bushing's removal/installer punch, etc. yes a rock and a stick would probably work also but it can't compare to a task specific tool.

i'm done.... use what u want. i'm about to install my CK headset by smacking it in using a 2x4 and a rock.
    Last edited by peachy-B; 01-14-2009 at 12:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You can use a bearing extractor such as Kukko of Germany. I use a Kukko No.22-1(counterstay) with No. 22-1-E (bearing extractor for bearing internal diameter within 12-16mm) to remove bearings on my Yeti575 and Mavic Enduro Wheel, and 6.6 will be next. No hammer is needed. The Kukko's link is http://www.kukko.com/index.cfm?page=...m&kat_id=3&m=2
    Good luck on the tool hunt and have fun.
    Last edited by apwwong; 01-20-2009 at 10:29 PM.

mtbr member

How many times has this been asked?

So which bearings are best for replacement on the 5.5? One more time please...thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I will try SKF and NTN since both are big bearing manufacturers and have good web site for support. Mavic's hub use SKF on Enduro and my other mavic wheels with original bearings are running fine. I think that SKF is trustworthy. NTN is a bit cheaper and worth to give a chance. Since bearings are consumable parts, I will pick the lowest price with acceptable quality.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by apwwong
    I will try SKF and NTN since both are big bearing manufacturers and have good web site for support. Mavic's hub use SKF on Enduro and my other mavic wheels with original bearings are running fine. I think that SKF is trustworthy. NTN is a bit cheaper and worth to give a chance. Since bearings are consumable parts, I will pick the lowest price with acceptable quality.
    SKF do not have the MAX type bearings like the Enduro which are specified by Intense. The SKF have ball cages and are meant for high speed spinning. The Enduro MAX have the "maximum" number of balls and no cage. They are designed to be pivot bearings for back and forth movement.

Ronnie.