No mountains near by :(

Rebuilding socom is a migrane! Help!

Hi guys,
    I took apart my Socom to recondition the bearings ready for the spring. And whilst rebuilding, I've discovered I can't get the last damn bolt hole to line up! I've tried to slacken off the other bolts to give me some leeway but unless I take one out I can't quite muscle the frame around and tighten the bolt. For reference, it's the upper link, lower bolt. Could I have done something wrong? There's an odd mixture of spacers of all darn sizes but I've used a micrometer to double check exact widths and have got the same widths either side of each bearing. Assuming this is one of the fabled misalligned frames, any hints to get the damn bolt back in?
    And - no need for any intense bashing here, she rides great when it's all together...

dab
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I had the same problem with my SS1. i found out you need to get a new bolt.

Really? I can't see how a new shoulder bolt will fix the problem of the triangle not lining up with the link - which bolt did you replace?
    I can muscle the holes to line up, so today I'm getting a friend to put the bolt in whilst I play tug o' war. I hope I've not rebuilt it wrong or the alignment problem doesn't cause me issues down the line...

dab
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This is what happened to me; maybe your circumstance is different. I replaced the lower bearings on the frame and swing arm. When it tried to reassemble the frame 1 of the bolts, the one for the swing arm would not go in, so I swapped the bolts around; frame side, swing arm side. I got the bolt that was originally on the frame installed okay on the swing arm, the one originally for the swing arm would not line-up for the frame side. I had an extra bolt lying around and got lined up and installed with no problems. I think that the bolt may have warped or bulged a little that why I could not install it

Quote Originally Posted by dab View Post
    I think that the bolt may have warped or bulged a little that why I could not install it
    Ah that's interesting. I've got it all reassambled now. I'll have to keep an eye on it whilst riding to see what happens. I've a friend with an SS whose frame has a habit of undoing the shoulder bolts. Hopefully mine won't start this little misdemeanor.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    hi there guys

i have a similar problem , in particular i don't remeber the exact positions of all the spacers and shim of the pivots, i try to reinstall these pieces in different ways but the result
    is a asymmetrical frame.
    i hope someone can help me.
    thanks
    christian

italy

mtbr member
    Did you change the bearings? Sometimes new bearings are not perfectly pressed in causing the problems you described.
    If you had a misaligned frame then it would have been really obvious on disassembly already.