mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Reach numbers for Spider Comp 29

I found an online stack and reach calculator, plugged in the geo numbers with Fox 34 140mm.

I don't know the BB drop, but this doesn't affect reach. I know this should help some people figure out what size that need.

For example the Medium Spider Comp has a longer reach than the size Large Tallboy LTc

S frame Reach with Fox 34 140mm fork 399.5mm
    M frame Reach with Fox 34 140mm fork - 422mm
    L frame Reach with Fox 34 140mm fork - 442.5mm

Here is the website, I cross checked it with other bike brands posted geometry and stack/reach numbers as well and it checks out.

geometryCalc

You're welcome

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Good info! Santa Cruz has some of the, if not the shortest top tubes (and reach) in the business. Great for guys with longer legs and shorter torso's. At 6'1 with short legs and a longer torso, I have always felt I was between Santa Cruz L/XL given I like shorter stems. Ibis seems to be the same mantra on sizing.

The Spider's reach is on the longer end of the spectrum for a large 29er, but pretty much identical to the large Banshee Prime, and Salsa Horsetheif, while being only marginally longer than the stumpjumper. Nothing too far outside the norm.

Cassoulet forever !
    Interesting.

The calculations might be a little off because they do not take into accound the bend in the seat tube.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah, I did use the effective seat post angle to try and account for the bent seat tube. Of course these numbers aren't official, but may at least give people a ballpark idea.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    It shoud take into consideration all of the factors of the bike including seat angle, head tube angle, head tube length etc. Its amazing how many small variables impact reach.

For example, a shorter head tubed bike will show a longer reach than a longer head tubed bike. With that said, if all other variables are the same and one adjusts the bar height to be the same on both bikes, the reach would be the same. It is a good barometer though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The calculator does take into account all those things. Click on the link to see what all dimensions are used.

Living the Dream
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    The calculator does take into account all those things. Click on the link to see what all dimensions are used.
    Colin, getting ready to pull the trigger on a spider comp. I am 5'11" and like a long top tube. If I am not mistaken, you had a medium spider comp and sold it. Did you find the top tube for the medium long enough for you? Thanks.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11" and have a long torso / short legs. My medium is spot on. Plenty of top tube length. No way I could go a large. The seat tube would be too long.