mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Raw Socom, what color would you paint?

Recently acquired Socom in raw... just a little too industrial and post-apocolyptic. Having it painted by Olympic Powdercoating. I'm trying to decide by tomorrow when I send it and could just go with pearl white which matches alot of the white Marz forks these days. Any color suggestions with pics to back up? I've already had 2 frames in baby blue. The raw finish on my particular frame isn't very nice and has alot of blotches that don't really do well and I'm not sure that putting a coat of works blue over it is really going to look so good.

mtbr member
    Since you are doing custom, dont do white. White is a stock color. You could have just ordered it that way.

Works Kawasaki Green
    Works Orange

Underweight Rider
    Polish it

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    yes polish!!!!!!

mtbr member
    candy lime green transparent

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Polish is the way to go !

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Shocking pink, white forks with yellow deemax...........nice

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Raw Socom shipped to powdercoater, pearl white unless...

Raw socom (picked up used) shipped to powdercoater, pearl white unless...

Intrigued by kntr's suggestion of Works Kawasaki green or Works Orange... what components or forks those would roughly match with, I'm not sure. I always loved those dayglo green haro bmx freestyle frames...

Any color suggestions? What do people know about black chrome?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Polished Raw Socom advantages/disadvantages...

Could somone list the advantages/disadvantages of a polished raw frame? Is it high maintenance? Does it show fingerprints easily? Preferred polishing company? Any feedback appreciated.

parts leftover
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    Since you are doing custom, dont do white. White is a stock color. You could have just ordered it that way.

Works Kawasaki Green
    Works Orange
    So Olympic powdercoating can do Intense "works" paintjobs on raw frames?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schlim
    So Olympic powdercoating can do Intense "works" paintjobs on raw frames?
    Im not sure. Call em.

mtbr member
    Scotch Brite and a little elbow grease is all you need to clean/polish that Raw frame up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rf65
    Could somone list the advantages/disadvantages of a polished raw frame? Is it high maintenance? Does it show fingerprints easily? Preferred polishing company? Any feedback appreciated.
    Pros: lightest finish there is, you can polish out scratches, see cracks etc. early on, RTW's and colleagues work is beautiful displayed

Cons: you see fingerprints, needs to get polished again from time to time, no protection from corrosion (no good if riding in areas where they salt the streets or at the coast), the downtube gets rough from the sand and small stones thrown at it by the front wheel (as does paint), you can't look down on your frame on a sunny day

"Mothers" polish and elbow grease works great, no need to spend money.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Wooooord !

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Tar and feather it

Commit or eat sh!t
    My riding partner has a polished bike. Doesn't look good as my works bike. I also had a Baby Blue bike. Looks great on a trail bike but not for downhill or larger frames. I think you should go white or flat black. Can't go wrong with either color. Or paint in in two-tone like the Atherton family bikes.

mtbr member
    I have had a polished Socom for a few years. It was a pro-to type team frame and was polished by an expert metal finisher. When I built the bike up I thought it would be cool to have an all polished bike. So every part was stripped and polished up. Its cool and totally unique but it's the biggest pain in the ass to keep it looking good.

After I have spent 20 hours cleaning and polishing it looks like a million bucks for about a week.

I can tell you from personal experience that getting a good finish is a ton more work than you could ever imagine. I think the guy who did the job on my frame spend more than 80 hours working on it. If you try to do the job yourself you will probably not be happy with the result. For example I did a flat handle bar. Stripped off the anodized finished sanded + polished saw a million imperfections - sanded + polished again saw 1/2 million imperfections and did it a few more times to get it looking right and that was just the handle bar. Imagine going over every inch of that frame three or four times.

I am actually tired of the lack of color and have thought of painting over the chrome looking finish.

In closing I would recommend paint! Pick a totally "out there" color that no one is riding and have a one of a kind!

Speeder

mtbr member
    I think the polished finish is easy to keep looking good if you are not a perfectionist. But if you can't live with small imperfections then don't do it!