mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Questions about the 2013 uzzi

So my friend is selling his 2013 uzzi at a very reasonable amount. Coming from a trail/enduro background , with a slightly heavy weight 210lbs, i think me and the uzzi will come along. Before i pull on the trigger, i would like to ask some few questions.

1. The frame is 2013, how much is the rear travel? It will come with a ccdb coild. Is it 6.5-7 OR 7-7.5??

2. The spring rate installed is 400, i know its too light for my weight. What remedy can i do to have a good ride while waiting for the correct srping?

3. The fork will come with a Talas 180mm rc2. Do you recommend sticking with it since its the most ideal fork for the uzzi or can i retain my fox float rc2 160mm from my old bike and slap it on the uzzi. I want an ALL AROUND bike that I can still ride on occassional fireroad trails.

4. Im 5'11, can a medium fit well? I tried riding it. The Ett Felt like my turner 5spot (large) but the seapost shows so much exposure.

I know the uzzi is more on the AM/freeride spectrum but I believe you can change the parts to make it more trail/am oriented right? Thanks

mtbr member
    I'll comment on a couple of these.

2. Ramping up the compression is about it.

3. I'd go with the Talas 180 to retain the current geometry. You could change all settings to compensate (somewhat) for the shorter fork, but personally I'd say the 180 is a far better fit for the bike than the float.

4. Unless you like the feel of a smaller frame I'd go with a Large. I'm 5'9" and split between the large and Med. The large feels more stable at speed and allows a shorter stem. With a Medium I'd probably have to run a 70mm stem to avoid it feeling too compact.

Other. Yes, you can build the Uzzi lighter to do more, but it will still always be in that Freeride spectrum. It's not dramatically off target but it is off a little if you want all-mtn and even more if you want a lighter trail bike. The Uzzi is certainly NOT something I'd want to regularly ride fire roads. I'd say that while the Uzzi is billed as a swiss army knife type bike it's bias is at least 80% downhill oriented and 20% flat to climb. It can and will climb but it's a beast. If you've ever ridden a real trail/all-mtn bike and compared them to the Uzzi you'll understand what I'm talking about.

$.02

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdemars View Post

4. Unless you like the feel of a smaller frame I'd go with a Large. I'm 5'9" and split between the large and Med. The large feels more stable at speed and allows a shorter stem. With a Medium I'd probably have to run a 70mm stem to avoid it feeling too compact.
    +1 I'm 5'10" riding a large (2010) 60mm stem 780mm bars.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I had a 2011 Uzzi with a 160mm RS Lyric on the front and a RS Monarch Plus on the rear. I rode the bike in short travel mode with the 160mm fork. It was about 31 lbs. so it climbed well and was a fun all around bike.

whatever she says gueuze.
    I had a 2011 for a couple of years and loved it. Coil shocks (8.75x2.75) will give you 7-7.5" of travel. Air shocks (8.75x2.5) will give you 6.5-7" of travel. I'm 5'8" and a medium was perfect for me. Mine with mostly XC/AM parts was 32 lbs (air fork, air shock, light wheels/tires, adjustable seatpost). I locked out the rear and the bike climbed exceptionally well. That being said, it rocks going down but will never be like a tracer or carbine going up.

Lord of the Chain Rings
    Loved mine until the frame cracked. Mine was 31lbs with Stan's tubeless, Ashima rotors and a Ti Spring on the stock Fox DHX coil shock. It was a great bike! When I had the choice, I went for the Tracer 275. Don't regret that either, but miss the Uzzi! You want the longer fork on the bike for sure. Dropper post - a must have on that bike.
    Uzzi

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Orastreet, what model was ur uzzi? Where specifically is the crack?my friend cracked the rear tri of his 2010 uzzi but i heard intense had beefed up the 2012 uzzi specifically the rear tri