mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Question on a 6.6 please

I am looking at getting a new MTB. I have the opportunity to purchase a 6.6 that is basically brand new with Mavic XM819 with Hope hubs, Maverick fork, XO throughout with Formula 1 breaks and evolver isx-6 rear shock.

Could someone tell me a little about this bike? I can get for $1800 and like I said it's pristine, not a mark on it.

Worth it?

I've got so many people telling me to go 29er in my ear, but my budget is around $2200 and it seems for the money this is a steal.

I'm just under 6' tall and it's a medium and seems to fit great as well.

ride
    I'd talk them down a bit, mostly due to the fork. No mas Maverick means no mas Maverick parts. And it WILL need them. We quit rebuilding Maverick forks and shocks here in the shop last year. Too much hassle relative to parts availability and long term durability. Fortunately, though, if it has a Hope front hub, you won't need a new front wheel for a new fork, just new axle conversions and a redish of the front wheel.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thank you, that helps me quite a bit. As for the bike itself, what are your thoughts? Also on the sizing. I'll definitely talk to them about the fork as that is definitely a concern.

So no one can get parts anymore for it? that's not a good thing....should I be overly concered?

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Quote Originally Posted by bdrex28 View Post
    I am looking at getting a new MTB. I have the opportunity to purchase a 6.6 that is basically brand new with Mavic XM819 with Hope hubs, Maverick fork, XO throughout with Formula 1 breaks and evolver isx-6 rear shock.

Could someone tell me a little about this bike? I can get for $1800 and like I said it's pristine, not a mark on it.

Worth it?

I've got so many people telling me to go 29er in my ear, but my budget is around $2200 and it seems for the money this is a steal.

As far as fit goes, you may be okay depending on your personal preference. I used to ride a 6.6 for a few years. My first one was a medium frame and I felt a little cramped but with a Thomson set-back seatpost and long-ish stem (100mm) it was manageable. I prefer a roomier cockpit so I sold it and went to a large 6.6 frame with a straight post and shorter stem and it worked better for me.

That said, I still always felt a bit cramped, headtube angle was too steep and BB was a touch too high for my liking. The 6.6 rode more like a long-travel XC bike than an all-mountain rig if that makes sense to you. Lots has been written on the subject on the boards here and more than a few people have experimented with off-set shock bushings and Angleset headsets to get the geometry dialed in better.

Here's a few threads that might make useful reading for you. Hope this helps.

6.6 Photo Album
    Shock options for a 6.6 + other questions...
    Intense 6.6 opinions?

EDIT: Sorry, should have mentioned I'm 6' even with a 32" pants inseam to give you some perspective on fit.
    Last edited by MondoRides; 03-05-2013 at 02:56 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bdrex28 View Post

Worth it?

i don't agree for Maverick fork. You can rebuilt it in one hour with o-rings for local shops.Very tuneable.
    Parts from Ethan (Maverick) . Great guy.
    See Maverick forum.
    I already have a Maverick Duc and i am really happy.
    See Maverick