mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Putting a Vivid or DB Air on my Carbine??

I considering a shock change, and I'm looking at the Vivid air or the DB air.

From what I heard this should be a sigificant upgrade from the RP23.
    And, in case I'll go for the Vivid, what tune should i go for? low, med or high?

What do you say? Any good advices out there?

mtbr member
    Subscribed!

Looking at DBair and Carbine combo myself. I have found a few reviews on the DBair where the mule was the Carbine that you might want to read >
    Cane Creek DBair review
    Cane Creek DBair Rear Shock First Ride Review | Cyclingnews.com

And some reviews on other bikes>
    2012 Cane Creek Double Barrel Air - Mountain Bike Reviews, News, Photo and Video
    Anyone have a DB air on their 66?
    Cane Creek DBAir MTB Shock: Reviewed | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

It is all initial impressions and I have found nothing long term. I am interested to hear how the uphill effeciency compares without the lock out of the Fox RP23. Also wondering if it requires more sag to get full travel and if this lowers a already low BB?... or if the new HV air can fixes this?...or if a different volume spacer is recommended?...and what conditions/performance riders are targeting? Or if I am better off with something else?

Any real world feedback would be awesome!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks! Good reading. As you say these tests are initial and does not convince me to believe that the DB is better than the Vivid. Yes, it obviously got more knobs, but that is not always better in my world.

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden any of the Rockshox stuff myself, but have you considered the Monarch/Monarch Plus? I wonder if the Vivid might be overkill on the Carbine..?
    Ridin' & Diggin'

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Well, the ccdb air is apparently not overkill.
    But the Monarch Plus might be a even better choice over the Vivid, any opinions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm very keen to hear the results of different shocks for the Carbine... Not overly impressed with the stock rp23...but don't want to lose the climbing capabilities