Thread: PUSH MonoBlock?

mtbr member

PUSH MonoBlock?

Don't see these on PUSH site. Anyone have experience/opinion or know of availability? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    You can buy the Intense version here.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...ODE=&BRAND.ID=

mtbr member
    I have had a PUSH Monoblock since they first came out and it really improved the bike. I personally believe that it is engineered better than the Intense one. It supports the shock bolt closer to the bushing. As soon as Intense had the new frames come out with their version fitted, the market dried up for PUSH and they stopped making them. That was some time ago.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Thanks Ronnie. That explains why they are hard to find. Discovered a source in England but that was it! Appreciate the info.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have the Push link and it's way better than the old two piece linkage. The new Intense one is good in my 6.6 so I expect the new Spider link is nice too. I'd change out the VPP bearings and crush tubes at the same time as the link.

mtbr member
    ebnelson: when you say change out the bearings and crush tubes, are you talking stock, presumably worn, parts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The bearings in the VPP linkage need to be changed occasionally. The bearings that are closest to the BB tend to get a lot of side loading. This is what the Push link was designed to help the side loading on the VPP link. It really helps improve bearing life on older Spiders. If you have the older linkage than you should check those bearings.

Yes, use oem parts from Intense. You get bearings anywhere but the crush tubes are hard to dupicate on your own.

The VPP bearing change out is a real pain in the ass and even more so the first time. Read the VPP replacement document from the Intense Cycles site.

mtbr member
    I recently purchased a 2007 spider, and it doesn't have the intense monoblock. Does it really make that much of a difference on the spider? I can see how it would on a 6.6 or something, where the linkage is much longer. But the linkage is pretty short on the spider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maleonardphi
    I recently purchased a 2007 spider, and it doesn't have the intense monoblock. Does it really make that much of a difference on the spider? I can see how it would on a 6.6 or something, where the linkage is much longer. But the linkage is pretty short on the spider.
    I'm surprised that your 2007 Spider does not have a Monolink fitted.

I've never ridden a Spider but I experienced the difference it made on my 5point5. I wouldn't hesitate getting one from Competitive Cyclist. It can only stiffen up the rear suspension laterally and improve handling. Intense makes one for the Spider now so they must think that it makes a difference.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I thought it was suppose to have it too. But I got such a deal I didn't complain. When I contacted Intense, they said some of the early '07 frames that went out didn't have the one piece linkage. I'm not going to take my brand new bike apart, but I'll probably pick up the monolink when I need to replace bearings and do maintenance. Without it, its still a huge upgrade from my 2002 Trek Fuel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maleonardphi
    I'm not going to take my brand new bike apart, but I'll probably pick up the monolink when I need to replace bearings and do maintenance.
    It's not exactly taking your bike apart to change the link. The link comes with bearings fitted. It should take all of about 15 minutes to change, 30 minutes if you don't have a lot of experience.

Ronnie.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    It's not exactly taking your bike apart to change the link. The link comes with bearings fitted. It should take all of about 15 minutes to change, 30 minutes if you don't have a lot of experience.

Ronnie.
    Agreed. It's a very quick job.
    Also, you could be waiting a long time before the upper link bearings need any maintenance. Because they are away from the elements, they last a long time. Although I've checked the bearings on my '04 5.5 several times, they still feel as good as new.

Just get the link now while it's easy to find. It may not be so easy to obtain a couple years from now. It is a worthwhile upgrade.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    maleonardphi: just sent you a pm.