Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 90
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trojans1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    490

    PROJECT: Tracer 2 converted to 650b

    I can't believe I did this because I really loved my 26" Tracer 2 and the Haven wheels were fantastic, but curiosity got the better of me and decided to give the 27.5" conversion kit a try with some new 650b FLOW EX rims built on Hope 2 EVO hubs. Finally got it all put together tonight along with a new set of Hope M4's and must say it feels freaking awesome.

    I was really afraid it would lose the spunky playfulness of my 26" setup but after a few tight compression turns and a little curb hopping it feels better than ever. I'm yet to get it on my regular trail to see how it really compares to the previous setup, but early indications are very promising. Like I said, I had no complaints before, but at 6'1" it just feels a little more proportioned and seems to now have a little something extra it was missing before - this definitely feels like it could be the ultimate trail killer for me.

    The head angle registers the same at 67 deg but seems to toggle between 66 & 67 where before it would jump between 67 & 68. The wheelbase grew from right about 46" to and even 46.25" now and the weight is almost identical at 31.85 lbs (including dropper post and pedals)

    The conversion went so perfectly smooth and everything went together with the precision of a Swiss watch - no clearance issues at all with my stock Fox 36 Talas and Neo Moto 2.3's. I'll post a better update once i get some quality trail time with her, but so far it feels like it's going to be an AM beast!

    BEFORE

    AFTER




    Last edited by trojans1993; 01-10-2014 at 10:14 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,678
    Nice!
    Just make sure the wheels don't contact the frame or fork crown. I would deflate the shock and fork and completely bottom them out to see if there are any interferences.
    Where did the BB end up?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rehammer81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    416
    Weren't you going to try some Hans Dampfs? How do you think the clearance would be for the 2.3 HDs? I'm am very close to snagging myself a T2 and making this switch myself. I just want to be able to run a full true 2.3" tire.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trojans1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by iRider View Post
    Nice!
    Just make sure the wheels don't contact the frame or fork crown. I would deflate the shock and fork and completely bottom them out to see if there are any interferences.
    Where did the BB end up?
    Thanks iRider,

    Just curious, I've heard a few people recommend checking the front bottom out clearance, but if the arch, lowers and thru axle mounts are all one piece how could arch clearance change? Or come to think about it, is the concern with the bottom arch or the top crown? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong spot.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,678
    Quote Originally Posted by trojans1993 View Post
    Thanks iRider,

    Just curious, I've heard a few people recommend checking the front bottom out clearance, but if the arch, lowers and thru axle mounts are all one piece how could arch clearance change? Or come to think about it, is the concern with the bottom arch or the top crown? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong spot.
    It is about the fork crown, not the arch. You can clearly see that you have enough space at the arch, but if your tire hits the crown while you ride an OTB is inevitable.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trojans1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    490
    OTB for sure. I guess ya don't realize a 160mm fork compresses that much when you're just looking at in in static position. That would really suck to stick a landing only to end up doing a swan dive because the tire bottoms the crown LOL. From what I've read it should be OK but I'll deflate the forks to be safe - thanks.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by trojans1993 View Post
    ... From what I've read it should be OK but I'll deflate the forks to be safe - thanks.
    Did you try it?
    can the fox 36 support the 27.5 and with what tire/size/tire section

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trojans1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan972 View Post
    Did you try it?
    can the fox 36 support the 27.5 and with what tire/size/tire section
    The Fox 36 Talas does not have any clearance issues with the Pacenti Neo Moto 2.3's. I have heard others say that the Fox 36 will support just about all 650b tires, but I have only tried the 2.3 NM mounted on some FLOW EX rims (mounted up really easy and air-tight so far)

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    28
    Thanks.

    Waiting anxiously to your quality time report.

  10. #10
    GOD SPEED # 58 RIP
    Reputation: pvflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    846

    Good job!

    T hi

    I was tempted to do the same on my bike. But as you know mine can't be converted. Keep us posted on how you like it now.

    Happy trails man. Lu
    "My GREATEST FEAR is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them."

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trojans1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by pvflyer View Post

    Happy trails man. Lu
    Hey Lu, good to hear from you, I have had a few short rides, but so far it feels incredible. I still need to hit my local Fully Loop for a good comparison. Yeah, the G1 dropouts are nice for a little versatility. Lets ride again sometime. TL

  12. #12
    Ambi-Turner
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    124
    Sorry for the newbie question, but will all Tracer 2 frames convert to 27.5? I'm guessing I just need dropouts from Intense? This seems like a great way to try 27.5.
    Thanks

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trojans1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by Throttlemire View Post
    Sorry for the newbie question, but will all Tracer 2 frames convert to 27.5? I'm guessing I just need dropouts from Intense? This seems like a great way to try 27.5.
    Thanks
    I bought the dropouts from Fanatik Bike. You need both sides and the brake adapter. Just make sure the new rear hub is 12x142. Very easy to do the conversion yourself once you get the right parts. PM me if you need more specifics.

    Intense Cycles G1 142x12mm 27.5" Syntace Dropout - Fanatik Bike Co. - Bellingham Wa

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rehammer81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    416
    Trojan, how does the super slack seat tube angle feel? By my estimates based on how the conversion changes the Carbine angles, with a 160mm fork the seat tube angle will end up a very slack 68.5 degrees. Do you feel pinched off at the hips while pedaling or find yourself riding the nose of the saddle more often? Also, the higher bottom bracket doesn't have you feeling too top heavy?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trojans1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by rehammer81 View Post
    Do you feel pinched off at the hips while pedaling or find yourself riding the nose of the saddle more often? Also, the higher bottom bracket doesn't have you feeling too top heavy?
    I measured the before and after head angle as close as I could and they both registered 67 but maybe a half degree slacker according to the iphone Clinometer. I don't feel any difference at all with the seat tube, in fact I didn't find it necessary to adjust the seat at all. Although the BB is a little on the high side in static position, it doesn't feel any more top heavy as a result - I was very skeptical about that too but am very happy it is a non-issue for me. I really like it so far. Hope this helps.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by trojans1993 View Post
    I measured the before and after head angle as close as I could and they both registered 67 but maybe a half degree slacker according to the iphone Clinometer. I don't feel any difference at all with the seat tube, in fact I didn't find it necessary to adjust the seat at all. Although the BB is a little on the high side in static position, it doesn't feel any more top heavy as a result - I was very skeptical about that too but am very happy it is a non-issue for me. I really like it so far. Hope this helps.
    Sorry to be picky but could you measure the exact BB height with the 650B drop outs? I'm considering the conversion but really would like to know what the BB height is and I realize it's subjective to tires and fork.. Could always throw some offset bushings in to drop the BB again? Thanks in advance. Bikes looks great!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trojans1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    490
    Sorry for lagging on a ride report, but I finally got some quality time on the T2 650b this past weekend up in Big Bear. Mostly some twisty fire roads, but also quite a bit of off-trail mini freeride with some small boulder drops and stump jumping and finally a fast downhill banked quad trail for some speed tests.

    Not sure what to say, but for me the best trail bike just got even better with the conversion. I was very hesitant to do it because I really like a spunky playful bike and feel drawn towards every obstacle I can find and didn't want the bulky feeling that I get with the few 9ers I have ridden. Super happy to report that the bike feels as fun and lively as ever in the techy type stuff and jumps like a champ. The biggest difference I noticed is a more stable platform to crank on when grinding up a bumpy climb and a noticeably better roller on the short hilly pavement ride to the trail.

    A lot of people say the whole 27.5 thing is all psychological, but I know my T2 like the back of my hand and can truly get an "apples to apples" comparison rather than jumping on a brand new 27.5 bike. The reason I did the conversion is because I'll be doing most of my riding up in the mountains from now on and I wanted a bike tailor made for longer rides that can handle everything from XC to light DH - and I think I now found the perfect setup for that kind of riding.

    tmeyer - sorry I can't answer your question with an exact BB height because I left the rig up at the cabin, but I thought it was right about 14" - don't let that number fool you though. I was riding in 6.25" the whole time with about an inch of sag and couldn't tell any difference in a slightly higher BB - I am very conscious of a low CG and would blow up the experiment if I couldn't "drive" the bike the way I like to. Non issue for me.

    Heading back up for more fun as soon as the horn blows on Friday afternoon




  18. #18
    GOD SPEED # 58 RIP
    Reputation: pvflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    846
    Great pics.....We've to ride corral canyon in the Boo you will like it.
    "My GREATEST FEAR is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them."

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    28
    Thank you Trojans1993 for puting the time and effort and bring us your exprience.

    Though converting to 650b was not top of my list, you've very much made it so.
    Much of the trails me and the group are riding are very technical and tight coupled with a lot of short intense up/downs so a lower rolling resistance plowing capability without sacrificing agility is much appriciated.

    Cheers.

    P.S.
    The fact this conversion is even relavent is a tribute to the T2 and Intense.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azmxr177's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    127
    I see you're running a C-Giude vs a ISCG mount guide. Do you like the C-Guide better? I have a Tracer VP (no iscg tabs) and not much room for a regular guide.

  21. #21
    CTB
    CTB is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,153
    I'm not Trojans but I'm also running a C-guide on my Tracer VP.



    This was my second attempt at installation. The first one failed because I had installed it just a little bit too far rearward, so it was too close to the crank arms and I sheared it off when it bounced into the path of the whirling crank arms. The breakaway mounts meant very little damage, though it did get buzzed by the jockey wheels. Since installing it in this location, I've had good results with no more issues. My main reason for installing it was to stop the chain from eating my chainstay, and I think it is succeeding in that department. It also did quiet the bike down, and around here I don't drop the chain anymore or get ghost shifts. We don't have very rough terrain here, but that's all I can offer for experience.

    I'm happy with it, as I didn't want to run a full chain guide. My Tracer has ISCG mounts, so I could, but I didn't want the weight, etc.

    Trojans, thanks for your reviews on the 650B conversion. My next build will definitely be 650B.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azmxr177's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    127
    Thanks CTB. Yeah...I just want to cut down on all the chain slip, I don't have a problem with dropping chains, its pretty rough out where in AZ.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trojans1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by azmxr177 View Post
    I see you're running a C-Giude vs a ISCG mount guide. Do you like the C-Guide better? I have a Tracer VP (no iscg tabs) and not much room for a regular guide.
    I just liked the simplicity of the C-Guide and it barely even registers on the scale. I didn't really have a problem with dropping chains but chain slap was very annoying and the C-Guide has been perfect. I have had it on for about a year now at least and have pretty much forgot that it's even there other than the stoke of a near silent bike when charging the rough stuff - No issues and would buy another in a minute if this one ever breaks.

    Hey CTB - bike is looking good !!

  24. #24
    CTB
    CTB is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,153
    Thanks, Trojans. Seems my bike is always changing, as I'm back to my usual wheels and the latest tire setup compared to that picture. It's keeping me entertained until I pop for a T275, but that has to wait until next year.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    30
    trojans1993 i noticed that in our before and after photos that you changed the travel to 5.75. is there a reason for this? i'm thinking about doing the conversion on mine and was just curious if there is a need for it.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trojans1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by jimi_v View Post
    trojans1993 i noticed that in our before and after photos that you changed the travel to 5.75. is there a reason for this? i'm thinking about doing the conversion on mine and was just curious if there is a need for it.
    No particular reason for it I was just experimenting. I actually like longer travel for almost all riding because it seems climb much more efficient in the 6.25 mode than it did before. I only go 5.75 if its a pure XC ride.

    Went for a killer evening ride up here near Big Bear and I'm digging this setup more every ride.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    28

    My take on the T275

    Just sampled the T275 demo bike.
    It had a simmilar spec to my T2 back home: XT drivertain and brakes, Fox Float 34 (vs. Float 36 RC2) 740mm carbon handlebar (vs. my 750 alloy), 275 Diablo hops (vs. my DT swiss)
    and Kenda tires (vs. Hans Dampf) both at 2.35.
    65mm stem vs. my 70mm.

    With the disclaimer that I've only tested it for ~16 mile of singles on Wunderlich county park (started from Skyline Blvd) which I've never ridden before:
    It rolled over a bit better but the front felt a tidy bit heavier, the traction was on par which might be down to the tires but than the rolling resistance would probably increase.
    I have to say I wasn't too impressed by the transition to 27.5.


    It was OK and all, but the diffrences were hard to pick up.
    I haven't ridden a bike simmilar to Trojan's but my 275 exprience is that it's minute evolution rather than revolution and to get into the 275 exprience might be to evolve like
    Trojan did rather than build a new bike from scratch.

    Again I haven't ridden them back to back on the same playground but for now I cannot spread the gospel just yet.

    -J.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by trojans1993 View Post
    No particular reason for it I was just experimenting. I actually like longer travel for almost all riding because it seems climb much more efficient in the 6.25 mode than it did before. I only go 5.75 if its a pure XC ride.

    Went for a killer evening ride up here near Big Bear and I'm digging this setup more every ride.
    thanks for the response. that helps. im waiting on tires and then it will be complete.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,385
    Hi
    Any tyre clearance issues with the frame seat tube or the brace in he swing arm ? with the 275 dropouts, cheers

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trojans1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffus View Post
    Hi
    Any tyre clearance issues with the frame seat tube or the brace in he swing arm ? with the 275 dropouts, cheers
    No issues at all with front or rear clearance. I'm running Flow EX with Pancenti Neo Moto and have about 10mm clearance all around. I'm pretty sure I would have felt any rubbing issues by now if there were any.

    Hope it helps.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,385
    Thanks for the reply, I'm going to give it a go my fork is a Float 36 tried a 650b Flow Ex wheel with a 2.25 Maxxis Ardent, let all the air out and compressed the fork fully had 10mm+ of space so OK there , just need to order some drop outs, Thanks again :-)

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1
    Hi guys,
    I ride a Tracer 2 XL and I'm thinking of converting to 27.5. I love my tracer 2, however, I'm thinking 27.5 might be fun. Any advice?
    Will my 36 Talas work with 27.5 wheels?
    How's the ride quality?
    Are you glad you converted?
    Will you stay with 27.5?
    Thanks,
    Jamie

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trojans1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    490
    Jamie, read the very first post in this thread, I think most your questions are covered. No clearance issues with Fox 36. Yes, I am very pleased with it and definitely sticking with it.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    686
    How much did it raise the bottom bracket, roughly?
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trojans1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
    How much did it raise the bottom bracket, roughly?
    I didn't do a pre-conversion BB measurement but it sits about 14" now. Not a noticeable difference IMO - I hate bikes that feel top-heavy and the T2 conversion certainly does not feel out of balance in the slightest.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    542
    Hey - I notice you are running Hope brakes on your converted T2. Are you running 160mm rear rotor or did you manage to rig a different caliper mount to run larger rotors?

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trojans1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post
    Hey - I notice you are running Hope brakes on your converted T2. Are you running 160mm rear rotor or did you manage to rig a different caliper mount to run larger rotors?
    I couldn't find a 180mm rotor adaptor so went with a 203F/160R combo and it's freaking awesome. I was pretty dedicated to XTR brakes, but once I tried the Hope M4's I had to switch and have no regrets.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    542
    Cool. I'm running Hope Tech EVO V4's but had been running 183 floating rotors in 26" mode. I really wanted to keep that setup but had to order a 160mm in the back. Wish Intense would do a brake adaptor for 27.5 180mm rear rotors.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5
    Hi trojans,

    I just want one thing clarified: are you using your original fork or did you need to buy a new one for the 27.5" wheels? From your posts about clearance issues, I would assume you're using the same fork, but other articles that I have read about the conversion make it sound like a new fork is necessary. I currently have a 160mm Float 36 that I would prefer not to replace!

    Oh, and thanks for your posts and time! This is a big deal for a lot of us. Hell, the best tires may not even be available in 26" soon!

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trojans1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by dkolinski View Post
    I just want one thing clarified: are you using your original fork or did you need to buy a new one for the 27.5" wheels?
    Yes, you are correct, I was able to use the same Fox Talas 36 I had prior to the conversion without any issues so I'm pretty sure your Float 36 will have the same amount of clearance.

    If I had to buy a new fork for the conversion I probably would have held off doing it for a while, but I have put plenty of miles over some fairly rough terrain with this Fox 36 setup and I wouldn't change a thing - no regrets at all converting to 275.

    Glad to help and if you ever need more info don't hesitate to ask..

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by trojans1993 View Post
    Yes, you are correct, I was able to use the same Fox Talas 36 I had prior to the conversion without any issues so I'm pretty sure your Float 36 will have the same amount of clearance.

    If I had to buy a new fork for the conversion I probably would have held off doing it for a while, but I have put plenty of miles over some fairly rough terrain with this Fox 36 setup and I wouldn't change a thing - no regrets at all converting to 275.

    Glad to help and if you ever need more info don't hesitate to ask..
    Well, that is good news! To be sure, I will see if I can find someone I know with 27.5" wheels with beefy tires and see how well they fit. I will deflate my fork to check crown clearance, too.

    Then comes the most difficult part: coming up with the $$ for a new wheelset!

    Thanks for your reply!

  42. #42
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Reputation: MondoRides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    829
    Thought I would share my experience with this conversion here too. I've only had my Tracer 2 for 3 or 4 months now and just converted it to 27.5 a couple weeks ago. I picked the frame up used at a great deal and parted out my Intense Slopestyle I to fund this project. I should mention that I didn't really get the T2 with the intention of converting it to 27.5. I originally wanted a bike that handled similar to my Slopestyle but needed a better climbing bike for those bigger rides.

    Original setup was a Fox 36 Vanilla RC coil fork up front and a Pushed Fox Float RP23 out back. 1x10 hybrid drivetrain with a 30T RaceFace Narrow/Wide front ring and a 11-42 rear 10 speed cassette courtesy of a SRAM PG-1070 with a 42T cog and a Shimano XT Shadow+ rear D. Original wheels were also Easton Havens with 2.4 Schwalbe Rocket Rons.

    After a couple months or riding I was definitely loving the bike. It was a fun and fairly light setup at 30 lbs. However, at 200+ lbs fully loaded I needed stiffer wheels and more durable tires for my riding. Since I was planning to get a nice wheelset built up anyways I just let curiosity get the best of me and decided to just jump into the 27.5 conversion.

    27.5 Conversion:
    - Chris King hubs laced up to Derby 650B x 40mm carbon rims w/Schwalbe Nobby Nics 27.5x2.35 tires
    - Intense 27.5 dropouts and brake adapter from JensonUSA (best price at the time at ~$150)
    - Cane Creek Double XC zero-stack headset to try and keep the front end height in check (also considering lowering the fork to 150mm)

    New wheelset weight came in at 1740g which is just under the 1750g for my Easten Haven 26" wheels that these replaced. Since I switched from 26x2.4 Rocket Rons to 27.5x2.35 Nobby Nics I also added over half a pound at the tires but a much more appropriate choice of tires anyways.

    Ride-wise, the bike still rocks but I can't really say there is any noticeable difference from riding with 26" wheels and I mostly mean that in a positive way. Cornering through tight switchbacks there does not feel to be any loss in agility. Climbing and descending mostly felt unchanged. I was also worried about raising BB-height but it isn't really noticeable there either. All that said, I got 18 Strava PRs last weekend on a trail that I ride pretty regularly! Mostly on the downhill stuff but also on one of the longer climbs. Must be something to this 27.5 stuff but it certainly isn't revolutionary.

    Here's the pics...

    PROJECT:  Tracer 2 converted to 650b-image%5B5%5D.jpgPROJECT:  Tracer 2 converted to 650b-image%5B6%5D.jpgPROJECT:  Tracer 2 converted to 650b-image%5B7%5D.jpgPROJECT:  Tracer 2 converted to 650b-image%5B8%5D.jpg
    ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trojans1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    490
    Nice job Mondo. Glad to see a Nobby Nic will fit although clearance looks like it's about as tight as I would want to go with it. Give it a little time and you will become fond of the subtle changes. I find the biggest difference is being able to clean some of the more technical climbs with roots, rocks, etc. that I use to get hung up or run out of gas on with my 26" but the 275 seems to have just a bit extra to get over the hump. After switching rides with my buds (almost) identical 26" Tracer I really noticed how more natural the 275 felt for trail riding. Looks great.

  44. #44
    AKA Mr.Habanero
    Reputation: panzer103's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    194
    Looks pretty sweet guys! Whenever l get some money this is my next project. its good to know that 36 Float will work just fine.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    407
    I'm gonna bump this up since I'm toying with buying a T2 frame that's selling locally.
    Any more feedback on how people are liking the conversion?
    I'm a little surprised Intense is selling the kit for $250 bucks! + $15 shipping?
    Seems a little steep, but looks like it can be done for closer to $200 from third party.

    Anyway, my two biggest apprehensions are:
    1. Weight. I'm going from a 28lb 2009 Stumpjumper FSR Comp. Everything I hear about the Tracer is, "great bike but really heavy". I know I need a burlier bike, but adding 4-5 lbs could prove to be soul crushing.
    2. Fork. I'll be swapping all the parts over from my Stumpy. Fox Float 32 150mm. I know the travel will be alright, even though a lot of folks go for the 160mm. However it'll make the HT a little steeper. Also, mine's got a 1 1/8" straight steer which seems whacky sticking it into a 1.5" straight HT. All in all making me feel like it would work, but isn't appropriate. But, I don't have the budget to do this if I need to buy a new fork.

    So please, feel free to weigh in.
    Thanks.

  46. #46
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Reputation: MondoRides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I'm gonna bump this up since I'm toying with buying a T2 frame that's selling locally.
    Any more feedback on how people are liking the conversion?
    I'm a little surprised Intense is selling the kit for $250 bucks! + $15 shipping?
    Seems a little steep, but looks like it can be done for closer to $200 from third party.

    Anyway, my two biggest apprehensions are:
    1. Weight. I'm going from a 28lb 2009 Stumpjumper FSR Comp. Everything I hear about the Tracer is, "great bike but really heavy". I know I need a burlier bike, but adding 4-5 lbs could prove to be soul crushing.
    2. Fork. I'll be swapping all the parts over from my Stumpy. Fox Float 32 150mm. I know the travel will be alright, even though a lot of folks go for the 160mm. However it'll make the HT a little steeper. Also, mine's got a 1 1/8" straight steer which seems whacky sticking it into a 1.5" straight HT. All in all making me feel like it would work, but isn't appropriate. But, I don't have the budget to do this if I need to buy a new fork.

    So please, feel free to weigh in.
    Thanks.
    Go for it! Still my favorite bike in the stable and only planning a couple minor tweaks to my current setup. This bike rocks and is almost as much fun as the Intense Slopestyle it replaced but allows me to climb back up to the top after my descents.

    Got my 27.5 dropouts from Jenson USA for $62/side (Intense G1 27.5" Drop Out > Components > Frames > Mountain Bike Frames | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop). You will have to go through Intense to get the 180mm brake adapter which I thoroughly recommend. I was originally running the 160mm rear brake adapter but with the bigger wheels and 200lbs of geared-up weight I was overloading the brakes.

    Don't worry too much about the weight. You should be able to build yours up around 30 lbs without breaking the bank or sacrificing durability. Mine is just under 31 lbs with a Fox Vanilla 36 coil fork, 2.35 tires and a dropper post.

    As far as the fork, you can also consider running a Works Components headset to counter the steeper head angle (1 0 Degree ZS49 - ZS49 - Traditional 1 5 Reducer Headset). They have options to allow you to slack out the headset from 1-2 degrees. I'm running their headset on an On One 456 carbon AM hardtail with good results. Longer term I would definitely recommend a beefier fork but I think you will still have fun with what you're already planning.
    ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azmxr177's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    127
    I believe you'll need a Fox 36 or a dedicated 650b fork. The 27.5" wheel won't fit in a Fox 32. I have a T2 built pretty burly at 31lbs with a dropper post. I love the bike!! Also I have a 1 1/8 straight steer tube going though the 1.5, no big deal, looks fine.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by MondoRides View Post
    Go for it! Still my favorite bike in the stable and only planning a couple minor tweaks to my current setup. This bike rocks and is almost as much fun as the Intense Slopestyle it replaced but allows me to climb back up to the top after my descents.
    Thanks. (damn, that kind of hurts. I keep going back and forth on whether this is a good idea or just spending money fixing a problem I don't have. Grrrrr)

    Got my 27.5 dropouts from Jenson USA for $62/side (Intense G1 27.5" Drop Out > Components > Frames > Mountain Bike Frames | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop). You will have to go through Intense to get the 180mm brake adapter which I thoroughly recommend. I was originally running the 160mm rear brake adapter but with the bigger wheels and 200lbs of geared-up weight I was overloading the brakes.
    Double thanks. I'll stick with the regular adapters (assuming I buy the bike) which are also cheap at Jenson. I'm a lighter and have always run 160 in the back with good results.

    Don't worry too much about the weight. You should be able to build yours up around 30 lbs without breaking the bank or sacrificing durability. Mine is just under 31 lbs with a Fox Vanilla 36 coil fork, 2.35 tires and a dropper post.
    That reminds me; I promised myself I would only buy bikes with a 30.9 seat tube from now on. God I hate needing a different post every time I change bikes. Sounds petty, but needing to buy a new dropper to make this work could be a deal breaker.

    Longer term I would definitely recommend a beefier fork but I think you will still have fun with what you're already planning.
    Again, helpful. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by azmxr177 View Post
    I believe you'll need a Fox 36 or a dedicated 650b fork. The 27.5" wheel won't fit in a Fox 32. I have a T2 built pretty burly at 31lbs with a dropper post. I love the bike!! Also I have a 1 1/8 straight steer tube going though the 1.5, no big deal, looks fine.
    I've stuck a 650b wheel into this fork and it cleared the arch no problem, but had a very small amount of rub on the crown with zero air under full body weight. My plan is to add a bottom out bumper (not sure where to obtain) or push in a few mL of Fox Float Fluid.

    Any more insight? All's welcome.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trojans1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Thanks. (damn, that kind of hurts. I keep going back and forth on whether this is a good idea or just spending money fixing a problem I don't have. Grrrrr).
    I will say "go for it" as well. I converted my 26" T2 that I really really liked as well I but don't regret the spending the $$ one bit. This 27.5" T2 setup is just as fun as my 26" was but just seems to have a little something extra when it comes to climbs and getting thru extra chunky stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I've stuck a 650b wheel into this fork and it cleared the arch no problem, but had a very small amount of rub on the crown with zero air under full body weight. My plan is to add a bottom out bumper (not sure where to obtain) or push in a few mL of Fox Float Fluid.
    What 650b tire was on the wheel you stuck in your Fox 32? I played with different options and you can gain a fair amount of clearance just by choosing a slightly lower volume tire or one without the fattest knobs available. Not a huge difference, just enough to make it clear a little more comfortably.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trojans1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    490
    Here's a Fox Float 32 with a 650b Pacenti NeoMoto - same rubber I'm running and very happy with. I was looking at Nobby Nic or HD but read the NeoMoto was a bit more clearance friendly. Since I last went tire shopping I have seen a whole new fleet of 650b options hit the market.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5-650b/fox...ml#post4031709
    Last edited by trojans1993; 01-11-2014 at 08:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •