Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

PROJECT: Tracer 2 converted to 650b

20K views 89 replies 27 participants last post by  worldkaoz 
#1 · (Edited)
I can't believe I did this because I really loved my 26" Tracer 2 and the Haven wheels were fantastic, but curiosity got the better of me and decided to give the 27.5" conversion kit a try with some new 650b FLOW EX rims built on Hope 2 EVO hubs. Finally got it all put together tonight along with a new set of Hope M4's and must say it feels freaking awesome.

I was really afraid it would lose the spunky playfulness of my 26" setup but after a few tight compression turns and a little curb hopping it feels better than ever. I'm yet to get it on my regular trail to see how it really compares to the previous setup, but early indications are very promising. Like I said, I had no complaints before, but at 6'1" it just feels a little more proportioned and seems to now have a little something extra it was missing before - this definitely feels like it could be the ultimate trail killer for me.

The head angle registers the same at 67 deg but seems to toggle between 66 & 67 where before it would jump between 67 & 68. The wheelbase grew from right about 46" to and even 46.25" now and the weight is almost identical at 31.85 lbs (including dropper post and pedals)

The conversion went so perfectly smooth and everything went together with the precision of a Swiss watch - no clearance issues at all with my stock Fox 36 Talas and Neo Moto 2.3's. I'll post a better update once i get some quality trail time with her, but so far it feels like it's going to be an AM beast!

BEFORE

AFTER

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks iRider,

Just curious, I've heard a few people recommend checking the front bottom out clearance, but if the arch, lowers and thru axle mounts are all one piece how could arch clearance change? Or come to think about it, is the concern with the bottom arch or the top crown? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong spot.

#6 ·
OTB for sure. I guess ya don't realize a 160mm fork compresses that much when you're just looking at in in static position. That would really suck to stick a landing only to end up doing a swan dive because the tire bottoms the crown LOL. From what I've read it should be OK but I'll deflate the forks to be safe - thanks.

#10 ·
T hi

I was tempted to do the same on my bike. But as you know mine can't be converted. Keep us posted on how you like it now.

Happy trails man. Lu

#14 ·
Trojan, how does the super slack seat tube angle feel? By my estimates based on how the conversion changes the Carbine angles, with a 160mm fork the seat tube angle will end up a very slack 68.5 degrees. Do you feel pinched off at the hips while pedaling or find yourself riding the nose of the saddle more often? Also, the higher bottom bracket doesn't have you feeling too top heavy?

#15 ·
Do you feel pinched off at the hips while pedaling or find yourself riding the nose of the saddle more often? Also, the higher bottom bracket doesn't have you feeling too top heavy?
I measured the before and after head angle as close as I could and they both registered 67 but maybe a half degree slacker according to the iphone Clinometer. I don't feel any difference at all with the seat tube, in fact I didn't find it necessary to adjust the seat at all. Although the BB is a little on the high side in static position, it doesn't feel any more top heavy as a result - I was very skeptical about that too but am very happy it is a non-issue for me. I really like it so far. Hope this helps.

#17 ·
Sorry for lagging on a ride report, but I finally got some quality time on the T2 650b this past weekend up in Big Bear. Mostly some twisty fire roads, but also quite a bit of off-trail mini freeride with some small boulder drops and stump jumping and finally a fast downhill banked quad trail for some speed tests.

Not sure what to say, but for me the best trail bike just got even better with the conversion. I was very hesitant to do it because I really like a spunky playful bike and feel drawn towards every obstacle I can find and didn't want the bulky feeling that I get with the few 9ers I have ridden. Super happy to report that the bike feels as fun and lively as ever in the techy type stuff and jumps like a champ. The biggest difference I noticed is a more stable platform to crank on when grinding up a bumpy climb and a noticeably better roller on the short hilly pavement ride to the trail.

A lot of people say the whole 27.5 thing is all psychological, but I know my T2 like the back of my hand and can truly get an "apples to apples" comparison rather than jumping on a brand new 27.5 bike. The reason I did the conversion is because I'll be doing most of my riding up in the mountains from now on and I wanted a bike tailor made for longer rides that can handle everything from XC to light DH - and I think I now found the perfect setup for that kind of riding.

tmeyer - sorry I can't answer your question with an exact BB height because I left the rig up at the cabin, but I thought it was right about 14" - don't let that number fool you though. I was riding in 6.25" the whole time with about an inch of sag and couldn't tell any difference in a slightly higher BB - I am very conscious of a low CG and would blow up the experiment if I couldn't "drive" the bike the way I like to. Non issue for me.

Heading back up for more fun as soon as the horn blows on Friday afternoon :thumbsup:

#19 ·
Thank you Trojans1993 for puting the time and effort and bring us your exprience.

Though converting to 650b was not top of my list, you've very much made it so.
Much of the trails me and the group are riding are very technical and tight coupled with a lot of short intense up/downs so a lower rolling resistance plowing capability without sacrificing agility is much appriciated.

Cheers.

P.S.
The fact this conversion is even relavent is a tribute to the T2 and Intense.

#23 ·
I just liked the simplicity of the C-Guide and it barely even registers on the scale. I didn't really have a problem with dropping chains but chain slap was very annoying and the C-Guide has been perfect. I have had it on for about a year now at least and have pretty much forgot that it's even there other than the stoke of a near silent bike when charging the rough stuff - No issues and would buy another in a minute if this one ever breaks.

Hey CTB - bike is looking good !!

#21 ·
I'm not Trojans :) but I'm also running a C-guide on my Tracer VP.

This was my second attempt at installation. The first one failed because I had installed it just a little bit too far rearward, so it was too close to the crank arms and I sheared it off when it bounced into the path of the whirling crank arms. The breakaway mounts meant very little damage, though it did get buzzed by the jockey wheels. Since installing it in this location, I've had good results with no more issues. My main reason for installing it was to stop the chain from eating my chainstay, and I think it is succeeding in that department. It also did quiet the bike down, and around here I don't drop the chain anymore or get ghost shifts. We don't have very rough terrain here, but that's all I can offer for experience.

I'm happy with it, as I didn't want to run a full chain guide. My Tracer has ISCG mounts, so I could, but I didn't want the weight, etc.

Trojans, thanks for your reviews on the 650B conversion. My next build will definitely be 650B.

#26 ·
No particular reason for it I was just experimenting. I actually like longer travel for almost all riding because it seems climb much more efficient in the 6.25 mode than it did before. I only go 5.75 if its a pure XC ride.

Went for a killer evening ride up here near Big Bear and I'm digging this setup more every ride. :thumbsup:

#27 ·
My take on the T275

Just sampled the T275 demo bike.
It had a simmilar spec to my T2 back home: XT drivertain and brakes, Fox Float 34 (vs. Float 36 RC2) 740mm carbon handlebar (vs. my 750 alloy), 275 Diablo hops (vs. my DT swiss)
and Kenda tires (vs. Hans Dampf) both at 2.35.
65mm stem vs. my 70mm.

With the disclaimer that I've only tested it for ~16 mile of singles on Wunderlich county park (started from Skyline Blvd) which I've never ridden before:
It rolled over a bit better but the front felt a tidy bit heavier, the traction was on par which might be down to the tires but than the rolling resistance would probably increase.
I have to say I wasn't too impressed by the transition to 27.5.

It was OK and all, but the diffrences were hard to pick up.
I haven't ridden a bike simmilar to Trojan's but my 275 exprience is that it's minute evolution rather than revolution and to get into the 275 exprience might be to evolve like
Trojan did rather than build a new bike from scratch.

Again I haven't ridden them back to back on the same playground but for now I cannot spread the gospel just yet.

-J.

#32 ·
Hi guys,
I ride a Tracer 2 XL and I'm thinking of converting to 27.5. I love my tracer 2, however, I'm thinking 27.5 might be fun. Any advice?
Will my 36 Talas work with 27.5 wheels?
How's the ride quality?
Are you glad you converted?
Will you stay with 27.5?
Thanks,
Jamie

#39 ·
Hi trojans,

I just want one thing clarified: are you using your original fork or did you need to buy a new one for the 27.5" wheels? From your posts about clearance issues, I would assume you're using the same fork, but other articles that I have read about the conversion make it sound like a new fork is necessary. I currently have a 160mm Float 36 that I would prefer not to replace!

Oh, and thanks for your posts and time! This is a big deal for a lot of us. Hell, the best tires may not even be available in 26" soon!

#40 ·
I just want one thing clarified: are you using your original fork or did you need to buy a new one for the 27.5" wheels?
Yes, you are correct, I was able to use the same Fox Talas 36 I had prior to the conversion without any issues so I'm pretty sure your Float 36 will have the same amount of clearance.

If I had to buy a new fork for the conversion I probably would have held off doing it for a while, but I have put plenty of miles over some fairly rough terrain with this Fox 36 setup and I wouldn't change a thing - no regrets at all converting to 275.

Glad to help and if you ever need more info don't hesitate to ask..

#42 ·
Thought I would share my experience with this conversion here too. I've only had my Tracer 2 for 3 or 4 months now and just converted it to 27.5 a couple weeks ago. I picked the frame up used at a great deal and parted out my Intense Slopestyle I to fund this project. I should mention that I didn't really get the T2 with the intention of converting it to 27.5. I originally wanted a bike that handled similar to my Slopestyle but needed a better climbing bike for those bigger rides.

Original setup was a Fox 36 Vanilla RC coil fork up front and a Pushed Fox Float RP23 out back. 1x10 hybrid drivetrain with a 30T RaceFace Narrow/Wide front ring and a 11-42 rear 10 speed cassette courtesy of a SRAM PG-1070 with a 42T cog and a Shimano XT Shadow+ rear D. Original wheels were also Easton Havens with 2.4 Schwalbe Rocket Rons.

After a couple months or riding I was definitely loving the bike. It was a fun and fairly light setup at 30 lbs. However, at 200+ lbs fully loaded I needed stiffer wheels and more durable tires for my riding. Since I was planning to get a nice wheelset built up anyways I just let curiosity get the best of me and decided to just jump into the 27.5 conversion.

27.5 Conversion:
- Chris King hubs laced up to Derby 650B x 40mm carbon rims w/Schwalbe Nobby Nics 27.5x2.35 tires
- Intense 27.5 dropouts and brake adapter from JensonUSA (best price at the time at ~$150)
- Cane Creek Double XC zero-stack headset to try and keep the front end height in check (also considering lowering the fork to 150mm)

New wheelset weight came in at 1740g which is just under the 1750g for my Easten Haven 26" wheels that these replaced. Since I switched from 26x2.4 Rocket Rons to 27.5x2.35 Nobby Nics I also added over half a pound at the tires but a much more appropriate choice of tires anyways.

Ride-wise, the bike still rocks but I can't really say there is any noticeable difference from riding with 26" wheels and I mostly mean that in a positive way. Cornering through tight switchbacks there does not feel to be any loss in agility. Climbing and descending mostly felt unchanged. I was also worried about raising BB-height but it isn't really noticeable there either. All that said, I got 18 Strava PRs last weekend on a trail that I ride pretty regularly! Mostly on the downhill stuff but also on one of the longer climbs. Must be something to this 27.5 stuff but it certainly isn't revolutionary.

Here's the pics...

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Wheel
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Rim Spoke Bicycle wheel
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle tire Yellow Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle wheel rim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.