mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Old Tracer Suspension Upgrades

I have a 2000 Tracer with nearly 6,000 miles. It has been a fantastic ride and very reliable. Suspension is tired and need of upgrade. Just had the shock Pushed with big improvement. Now to upgrade the original SID XC 80mm. Any recommendations? Should shock head angle adjustment be made with longer travel. Currently in the 4inch slacker position I think (bottom/back hole). More and more riding all mountian type terrain, lots of up and down, rocks, ruts, etc. However, I like to keep the wheels on the ground and don't push it. Thanks for any thoughts.

mtbr member

New reba with 120 mm of travel

would be a nice addition. I ahve ridden a reba for four years set at 115 and love it
    Never play leap-frog with a unicorn!

mtbr member
    I didn't like mine with a 80mm fork.I'm running also a Reba set at 115mm.With a Fox-Propedal in the back.
    Ps:Post a picture of your beauty please. I collect picture's of the legendary Tracer,

mtbr member
    I have a rockshox revelation on my tracer. most of the time i keep it at 115 but occasionally i'll go with 130. great addition to my tracer with pushed rear shock

V-Shaped Rut
    I recently put a 100mm duke on mine (had an 80mm sid team before) and love it. Should have done it years ago. Next is a push'd rear shock.

I am using the 4" slack (stock, middle hole) setting and have no problems going up or down. It climbs better than with the sid.

mtbr member
    what is the benefit of putting an uzzi link on the tracer? more travel?

mtbr member

Uzzi Link

provides an extra half inch of travel, but also raises the BB another half inch.
    Never play leap-frog with a unicorn!

mtbr member
    thanks. i think the bb on mine is high enough already. i am thinking about a new paint job for mine as well. would you recommend the place you mentioned? i definitely want powdercoating

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishercat
    i am thinking about a new paint job for mine as well.
    Cool,what color?? Anyone has an adress where i can let my rear shock get "pushed"? Europe please.

mtbr member
    not sure about color yet. push website is http://www.pushindustries.com/ but i dont know about UK

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by christmtb
    Cool,what color?? Anyone has an adress where i can let my rear shock get "pushed"? Europe please.

Try www.tftunedshox.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Rob
    That's the one i was looking for.Thx.
    Have a great weekend y'all!!

AllMtnMan

I just retired my first generation tracer...

when I picked up a new Tracer VP.

I, too, like to keep the wheels on the ground, and last year I put a Fox F120 RLC on the first gen model, with fabulous results. It's also for sale if you're interested!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Tracer Picture

Here you go! 2000 Tracer/XTR/Hayes/SID XC/Thompson/Koobi/Easton Stem and Monkey Lite/Mavic 317/Chris King hubs and aheadset.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Cool !!! Looks great.These guy's are timeless.Another fine picture for my collection,thx.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by christmtb
    Cool !!! Looks great.These guy's are timeless.Another fine picture for my collection,thx.
    Here's another for you. As far as suspension upgrades go, I had the rear shock rebuilt and tuned by Push Industries a little over a year ago and this past spring I put a 100mm Reba fork on it. It also has a new 03 decal kit on it, Race Face Dues crankset and different tires. Now that I think about it, it may be time for a new photo of my baby...

mtbr member
    Thx,red one's are my favorite.Post a picture with new components please.reba is a nice fork for a tracer,my oppinion.

on my 3rd wind...
    Quote Originally Posted by tktaylor
    I have a 2000 Tracer with nearly 6,000 miles. It has been a fantastic ride and very reliable. Suspension is tired and need of upgrade. Just had the shock Pushed with big improvement. Now to upgrade the original SID XC 80mm. Any recommendations? Should shock head angle adjustment be made with longer travel. Currently in the 4inch slacker position I think (bottom/back hole). More and more riding all mountian type terrain, lots of up and down, rocks, ruts, etc. However, I like to keep the wheels on the ground and don't push it. Thanks for any thoughts.
    I ran many forks on my Tracer...03 Fox Float, 01 RS Psylo, 05 Fox Talas, 06 Revelation air, 04 Shiever, 07 Nixon TPC+, 04 Marzocchi Marathon S, Pike coil & air w/ u-turn, 07 Recon coil, and now 08 Minute TPC 100mm.

Out of them all, my fav is Marathon S and Recon coil at 100mm travel. For me, 100mm coil fork felt the best on my Tracer. 08 Minute is also great fork due to the fact that it has a 20mm thru-axle and super plush damper at 100mm travel.

My suspension felt so dialed when I ran Marathon S in front and Romic coil in rear. Only weakness was flex I felt from the fork.
    sth

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    SingletleTrackH - What did you think of the 05 Fox Talas, that's what I run and I think it's pretty sound and stiff. I run it at 110mm most of the time. What did you think of it as you didn't mention it.

on my 3rd wind...
    I have always managed to find something I didn't like about the fork...on all of them. Out of them, 05 Talas was one of my least favorite. Recon coil would be my favorite if it had the 20mm axle.

05 Talas had the worst damper feel of them all. It felt too stiff and spikey at proper 20-25% sag. I had to set the travel at 110-115mm or so and set the sag at 30-35% sag to get some plush feel out of the fork. Of course, then, it wallowed/brake dived like crazy. I made every attempt keep it but no matter how I setup the fork, it was either too stiff or soft. I can't speak for 06 and newer TALALS since Fox have been contnuously improving the damper performance. Ironically, I love the way 03 Fox Float RLC performs. I still own it and is on my ss now.

I have yet to ride an air fork that has the plush and controlled ride feel as the coil.
    sth

mtbr member
    curious....what didnt you like about the revelation ??

on my 3rd wind...
    Infamous dual air u-turn knock. Also all the oil spilled out of damper knob when fork was resting side way.
    sth

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I got my Fox Talas from push in 05 new so I've always thought it was pretty good, not the best in the world but good to do the job and key - set up for my weight.

It's funny as there really is a difference between a pushed fork and a normal fork. My buddy had a normal Talas RLC on his moment and it pretty much sucked because of the reasons you mention.

Might upgrade sometime though so I can fit a post mount brake as well instead of IS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qthomas
    when I picked up a new Tracer VP.

I, too, like to keep the wheels on the ground, and last year I put a Fox F120 RLC on the first gen model, with fabulous results. It's also for sale if you're interested!
    how do you like the new tracer?

on my 3rd wind...
    Quote Originally Posted by tktaylor
    Here you go! 2000 Tracer/XTR/Hayes/SID XC/Thompson/Koobi/Easton Stem and Monkey Lite/Mavic 317/Chris King hubs and aheadset.
    Bike looks very clean!

I think Revelation coil or Recon coil u-turn (85-130mm) would be a great upgrade now that you got the rear shock Push'd.

Can't tell what tire you have on the Tracer but out of many tires I used Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35 Maxxpro 60A compound is the best cornering rubber. Their 2.35 is large 2.1 on most.
    sth