mtbr member
    Feb 2005

old tracer - anyone run a coil van rc?

Really want to try out a coil shock on my Tracer. I've only ever used coil on the front forks and think the Tracer could transform into a mean-machine with something like a van rc.

Also I'm 170 pounds, does anyone know what spring I would need for a 6.5 as I haven't got a clue and if I see one for sale I want to pick the correct level of damper.

Trail Rider
    I had one for a spare on mine. It was OK, but heavy. Good on the DH runs. I ended up getting a Talas shock and setting it up in the biggest volume setting. I liked that and it was lighter. I also ran a coil/air fork Marz. I am heavier and can't remember the spring rate. Fox had that info. Give them a call. Good luck!
    [size=4]Don[/size]

on my 3rd wind...
    Keep an eye open for Romic coil. Can be had cheap on Ebay. It's the best performng and feeling shock for my Tracer, IMO...even much better than custom tuned PUSH Fox Float shock. It does add extra 1lbs vs. Fox Float shock. Mine has been custom tuned by Romic for very little cost...~$50 many years ago. They do have horrible for review due to the QC issue many years back caused by allowing bad batch of shocks on the market...oil leaking at the blue compression knob. Mine has been flawless after the shock has been overhauled by Romic.

I weigh little over 155lbs with no gear and 500lbs feels perfect in terms of sag and plush feel. 550-600lbs spring should work well at your weight.

Romic coil can only be installed on 4" slack mode on the Tracer shock linkage. Otherwise you will damage the shock. The top and bottom eyelet portion of the shock body has to be rotated 180 deg from each other. Red rebound knob facing the sky at the upper mounting hole on the seatmast portion of the frame. Blue compression knob facing the earth at the lower mounting linkage hole (4" slack).
    sth