Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: deesta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    892

    Offset bushes on a 6.6?

    Hi all
    I've been reading up on alterations that can be made to improve the 6.6 from a good bike to a great bike.
    Top of my list are some offset bushes as I can make them myself because I'm a CNC machinist and I'd like to drop the BB a little and reduce the head angle.
    Are any of you using them? If so do you use top and bottom, just bottom, just top? What sort of offset? Orientation?
    I've never used/fitted them before so any help would be gratefully received..
    Cheers
    Steve

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tkul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    609
    hi!
    I've installed offset bushing, reducing eye-to-eye by 4.9mm (200mm original length).
    Changed the geo considerately for the better (except for the BB height - that personally I don't find it has a negative aspect!). find it over here:


    https://sites.google.com/site/bttpor...ometrie_change


    PS: if you look on the forum, you'll find some added info.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: deesta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    892
    Hi Tkul
    Thanks, very useful. I've made my bushes now (one set with 2.5mm, one with 3mm offset). The shock (5th Element Coil) is off to TF Tuned for an upgrade service tomorrow so will wait til it gets back to fit the new bushes. Will do all the pre-install measurements then measure again after to see what's changed. Test ride will be next Thursday so will report back after that..
    Steve

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: deesta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    892

    Offset bush success

    I've just got my shock back from TF and have fitted my home made off-set bushes. Seems to have made a big impact on geometry :-)

    Before:
    Head angle = 69 degrees
    BB height = 14.37"

    After:
    Head Angle = 67 degrees
    BB height = 13.85"

    So I've slackened the head angle by 2 degrees and dropped the BB height by 0.5". Will get out on the trails asap to see what it's done to the handling but, from what I've read, I'm hopeful for some good improvements...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    295
    Love to hear how they changed the feel of the ride. Would like try something to this extent on my uzzi.

    Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: deesta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by retrofred View Post
    Love to hear how they changed the feel of the ride. Would like try something to this extent on my uzzi.
    If the sizes are the same I have a couple of spare sets I'd be willing to sell....PM me if you're interested

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tkul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    609
    Quote Originally Posted by deesta View Post
    I've just got my shock back from TF and have fitted my home made off-set bushes. Seems to have made a big impact on geometry :-)

    Before:
    Head angle = 69 degrees
    BB height = 14.37"

    After:
    Head Angle = 67 degrees
    BB height = 13.85"

    So I've slackened the head angle by 2 degrees and dropped the BB height by 0.5". Will get out on the trails asap to see what it's done to the handling but, from what I've read, I'm hopeful for some good improvements...
    Hi Deesta!
    Just curious - how did you measure the angles? and fork you have?
    I'm asking since the original geo for this bike was something like:

    Axle crown - 510mm
    HA - 68.5
    SA - 73
    BB height - 350mm
    Axle Lenght - 1097.9mm

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tkul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    609
    Quote Originally Posted by retrofred View Post
    Love to hear how they changed the feel of the ride. Would like try something to this extent on my uzzi.

    Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

    Hi! Try some and you'll find out if you like it.
    Basically I liked the more relaxed HA!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: deesta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkul View Post
    Hi Deesta!
    Just curious - how did you measure the angles? and fork you have?
    I'm asking since the original geo for this bike was something like:

    Axle crown - 510mm
    HA - 68.5
    SA - 73
    BB height - 350mm
    Axle Lenght - 1097.9mm
    Hey,
    Not the most exact method TBH. I've got a protractor app on my phone which I used for the angles and used a steel rule to measure BB height. Fork is a 150mm Float RLC

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tkul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    609
    Axle to corwn of Fox 32 - 150mm = 520mm
    Thumb rule - for each 20/25mm on the Axle to Crown corresponds 1 in angles.
    So if you have +10 it should sit +/-0.5 more relaxed to original data.
    HA - 68

    If you stick to that fork, and adding offset bushings, you'll lower even more the BB. Going this way will depend on the trails you ride (for me it's a no-no situation since when I go with my Rize, I hit some rocks and can imagine with a bike with more sag..... ).
    Offset bushes are cheap to try, and if you like it, maintain if not, try to sell to your neighbors!

    Also you could try a 190x50 (more extreme move) if you have one available.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •