Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What is the tune for monarchs that came on the spider? I am looking to buy a used one and found a M/L/S/320.. or one with 380 at the last part.

How would that rise different than the M/M tune?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nashwillis View Post
    What is the tune for monarchs that came on the spider? I am looking to buy a used one and found a M/L/S/320.. or one with 380 at the last part.

How would that rise different than the M/M tune?
    I actually have a 2017 Monarch RT3 Debonair for sale if you are interested. M/M/S/380 to be exact. Send me a message for pricing.

mtbr member
    My wife now cooks better steak since I got her new Spider 275c.
    True story.
    "Official" Intense Spider 275 Pic and Info Thread-31693701211_b3a8702fbf_k.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by orangec714 View Post
    I actually have a 2017 Monarch RT3 Debonair for sale if you are interested. M/M/S/380 to be exact. Send me a message for pricing.
    PM sent

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    How does the ccdb inline work on the spider? Im bout 225 and thinking of getting one. Started with the xfusion but now on the Manitou Mcleod. Would like coil but curious about the Inline.....worried about all the issues with the shock though.
    Do you have the king can on yours? I am looking at shocks and can't decide between monarch debonair, McLeod , or topaz. The easier to set up and mess with the better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I do not have the king can. The Mcleod is actually pretty great shock and have no issues with it. I decided against the CCDB inline as the reliability looks dodgy and settings are complicated. Going to stick with the Mcleod as it is pretty simple with 4 settings on the IPA.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I do not have the king can. The Mcleod is actually pretty great shock and have no issues with it. I decided against the CCDB inline as the reliability looks dodgy and settings are complicated. Going to stick with the Mcleod as it is pretty simple with 4 settings on the IPA.
    The more I read about it the more i want it. The dvo topaz looks sweet too but not sure I really need a piggy back living in Nashville.

did you have the xfusion before? Did you have to get any new hardware to install?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The more I read about it the more i want it. The dvo topaz looks sweet too but not sure I really need a piggy back living in Nashville.

did you have the xfusion before? Did you have to get any new hardware to install?
    Yes I did have the Xfusion before and just used the hardware from it over to the Mcleod....and by the way the Mcleod blows the Xfusion away.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What kind of grease gun and grease do you use for the zerk fittings? I know you need a needle nose but looking for an easy to use gun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What kind of grease gun and grease do you use for the zerk fittings? I know you need a needle nose but looking for an easy to use gun.
    3oz Mini Grease Gun | eBay

I bought this one... Cheap and works.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    3oz Mini Grease Gun | eBay

I bought this one... Cheap and works.
    Thanks, do you need another attachment or does that one work?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Works as is.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    On my ride today my lower linkage came loose, it looks like it isn't set in the hole? I tried tightening it and it just spins. Not on the drive side . Anyone know how to fix it? Trying to get pic to upload.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    On my ride today my lower linkage came loose, it looks like it isn't set in the hole? I tried tightening it and it just spins. Not on the drive side . Anyone know how to fix it? Trying to get pic to upload.
    Update it's the bolt right behind the crank, rear triangle bolt I think. I can't get a pic to upload

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

I have the topaz in the 275A. Mine is 200x57 and works great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I just bought a 2015 spider 275A frame, should be here in the next few days, got a pair of Fox 36 forks to fit and have some wheels to build up and buying the rest of the stuff in the next few months.

Interesting to see people are running 57mm stroke shocks, that works out as giving about 150mm of travel i beleive? Lucky for me I have access to all the suspension parts I need so thinking about building a custom shock in 200x54 mm to give about 140mm travel

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    My custom painted and built Spider.

"Official" Intense Spider 275 Pic and Info Thread-goblin-2.jpg
    "Official" Intense Spider 275 Pic and Info Thread-goblin-3.jpg
    "Official" Intense Spider 275 Pic and Info Thread-greengoblin.jpg

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggle5 View Post
    I just bought a 2015 spider 275A frame, should be here in the next few days, got a pair of Fox 36 forks to fit and have some wheels to build up and buying the rest of the stuff in the next few months.

Interesting to see people are running 57mm stroke shocks, that works out as giving about 150mm of travel i beleive? Lucky for me I have access to all the suspension parts I need so thinking about building a custom shock in 200x54 mm to give about 140mm travel
    Let me know how the 200x54 works out...I might be interested in that myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by creativefletch View Post
    My custom painted and built Spider.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goblin-2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	1124047

Name:	goblin-3.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	1124048

Name:	greengoblin.jpg 
Views:	1087 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	1124049
    Fletch, WOW! Amazing build and incredible paint! Did you do the paint work yourself?
    I do industrial coatings, and might do a epoxy floor in green and black. I've been wanting to try a coatings called polyaspartic on a bike frame. It's very close to polyurea that's used on pickup trucks beds(Bedliner) but it is clear and can be tinted to any color? I might used your color scream
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Fletch, WOW! Amazing build and incredible paint! Did you do the paint work yourself?
    I do industrial coatings, and might do a epoxy floor in green and black. I've been wanting to try a coatings called polyaspartic on a bike frame. It's very close to polyurea that's used on pickup trucks beds(Bedliner) but it is clear and can be tinted to any color? I might used your color scream
    I wish I painted it myself! If so I would be doing more custom painted bikes.

I really wanted to do a DVO edition Spider, the green on the frame is a screamer for sure. I just changed out the bars from the alloy renthal to a carbon renthal which looks way better, now all the components are black.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Update it's the bolt right behind the crank, rear triangle bolt I think. I can't get a pic to upload
    Are you still having an issue with this? There is a machined cone inside of the collet bolt, there should be a laser etched number on this part. Is it 130807 or 13080007?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I wish I painted it myself! If so I would be doing more custom painted bikes.

I really wanted to do a DVO edition Spider, the green on the frame is a screamer for sure. I just changed out the bars from the alloy renthal to a carbon renthal which looks way better, now all the components are black.
    How's it ride?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

I wasnt aware you could run a 57mm stroke on the Spider 275. No issues with this?

Trail Gnome Moderator
    I wasnt aware you could run a 57mm stroke on the Spider 275. No issues with this?
    The main issue would be that it will void your warranty...I read that somewhere???

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The upper link on the Spider is made for 115/130 Adjustable. The toplink is not designed for 150mm (57mm stroke). If you were to change the toplink to a 150mm travel toplink like on the Recluse.....then you could run a 57mm stroke shock on the Spider.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I don't know about the Spider 275a, but on my 275c I've measured the distance between the shock bolts with the suspension bottomed out both with and without the OEM shock installed. The difference was something like 4 or 5 mm, so I believe the upper or lower link would hit the front triangle before a 57mm stroke shock would bottom out. I can't imagine that would be good for the bike.

You could probably run a 57mm stroke shock in the short travel setting, but I believe you'll end up with ~129mm of travel anyway, which kind of defeats the purpose. According to Intense, that should give you a more progressive leverage ratio, though, which could be good for some people (EDIT: that may not be accurate). Although it would probably be easier to use some air volume spacers in your 51mm stroke shock to accomplish the same thing unless you're running a coil shock.
    Last edited by dlxah; 03-09-2017 at 03:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    How's it ride?
    Like a dream. Dialed in the shock and fork and it's a ripper for sure. With the 140 fork it definitely lightens the front end on technical climbs so having a 50-60mm stem helps with this, I wouldn't go less than a 50mm stem running a taller fork if you're doing a lot of technical climbing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Got the frame yesterday and started stripping it down and cleaning it up, got the lower link out ok, some of the bearings are a bit rough so will change them. The upper pivot bolts appear to be seized pretty good, gave one of them a massive ammount of force to undo and it just rounded the bolt a bit, bearings feel ok in the top so leaving it in place for now until I have new bolts to go in, any tips for getting the old ones out?

Started to give the frame a bit of a sand and polish, dont want it super shiny just trying to even up the finish a bit.

Before

After

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Looking back through the thread shock clearance is a bit tight on an X2 shock which is one of my likely options, was thinking running a 57mm stroke one in the 115 position would mean keeping 130mm travel but should gain me some clearance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    "Official" Intense Spider 275 Pic and Info Thread-2118370-mql2bff34f9o-p1020178-medium.jpg
    "Official" Intense Spider 275 Pic and Info Thread-2118374-auh7nu38wf1i-p1020180-medium.jpg

27.5lbs but I might change to a CCDB coil. I will test both shocks next weekend probably

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Got quite a few parts together now ready to start the build, hubs and rims at the shop being built up and need a few drivetrain parts.

My frame has had most of the decals removed, would so someone with a 275a be able to take a picture of the decal on the top tube for me? Can make another up but struggling to find a good picture of it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I just want to amend what I said in my previous post about the short travel setting being more progressive. I was basing that off of what Chad Peterson said in this SickLines video on the Spider 275c: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMR6H12FGww&t=94s

I finally got around to throwing together a rough model of the Spider 275c in Linkage X3 and playing around with the shock eyelet positions a bit, and it seems like the short travel setting actually makes the bike a little LESS progressive. I'm not sure if Chad accidentally misspoke, or if maybe I made a mistake somehow. Either way, I figured it was worth mentioning in case anybody was banking on it being more progressive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Got quite a few parts together now ready to start the build, hubs and rims at the shop being built up and need a few drivetrain parts.

My frame has had most of the decals removed, would so someone with a 275a be able to take a picture of the decal on the top tube for me? Can make another up but struggling to find a good picture of it.
    I think the bike looks sick with the decals removed. To each his/her own though I suppose.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Do you have a pic of what your frame looks like now? I have a flo red and thinking about taking some decals off.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    "Official" Intense Spider 275 Pic and Info Thread-img_2859.jpg"Official" Intense Spider 275 Pic and Info Thread-img_2861.jpg"Official" Intense Spider 275 Pic and Info Thread-img_2860.jpgAnyone running a 2.6 tire on the back? I put a 2.6 nobby Nic to see if it fit and it will fit but not sure once it expands or what not. I put it in the front but might order one for the back. I have Easton heist 30 rims. Pictures aren't the best.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Do you have a pic of what your frame looks like now? I have a flo red and thinking about taking some decals off.
    Which decals did you want to see removed? Decided to get a little Photoshop practice in:

"Official" Intense Spider 275 Pic and Info Thread-stealthspider275.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Picture above of it, just has the "intense" on the sides of the downtube nothing else.

Just a frame at the moment, still waiting on fork and shock to be sorted out. Wheels are in being built for me at the moment, brakes and bars coming off my hardtail and then just need a drivetrain. Will be a little while off being finished as not got the cash for the drivetrain until at least the end of this month.

Interesting to see the 2.6" nobby nic picture there Im tempted to try the 2.6" specialized tyres but havent got very wide rims 25mm ish

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So I bought a 2016 275C last fall, still haven't gotten to ride it on dirt. One think I noticed riding around on our streets is how the front wheel seems so far out front, compared to the steeper HA 29er I'm coming from. Playing around with some cornering drills I felt like I had to consciously get my weight out front to get it to corner the way I wanted. Anyone else notice this? Is it something you just get used to?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I would try riding it off road first...

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Got the first few bits bolted together

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Call out to taller Spider owners. Two questions, im 187cm (6' 1.5"), long femurs and long arms. How long do these run compared to other bikes? Based on the reach numbers im looking to go L frame with 60 or 70 stem, or should i look at at an XL with 40-50 stem? Note that climbing performance is equally important to me as descending.

The other question is regarding the super short chainstays. Im worried that they will be too short on larger frames, putting your weight to far back and having a negative effect on climbing traction. Anyone had issues climbing traction?

For context, im coming off a XL Norco Sight, 455 reach and 60 stem. L Spider has 467 reach.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Hey Wiggle, here's some photos of the whole decal kit that comes on the Spider Alloy.

"Official" Intense Spider 275 Pic and Info Thread-img_6253.jpg
    "Official" Intense Spider 275 Pic and Info Thread-img_6252.jpg

Intense has these decal sheets available you just need to call them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Looking good!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dlxah View Post
    Which decals did you want to see removed? Decided to get a little Photoshop practice in:

Name:	StealthSpider275.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	357.2 KB 
ID:	1125942
    Found one with the intense removed, looks good might do that to mine."Official" Intense Spider 275 Pic and Info Thread-img_3028.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sukebe View Post
    Call out to taller Spider owners. Two questions, im 187cm (6' 1.5"), long femurs and long arms. How long do these run compared to other bikes? Based on the reach numbers im looking to go L frame with 60 or 70 stem, or should i look at at an XL with 40-50 stem? Note that climbing performance is equally important to me as descending.

The other question is regarding the super short chainstays. Im worried that they will be too short on larger frames, putting your weight to far back and having a negative effect on climbing traction. Anyone had issues climbing traction?

For context, im coming off a XL Norco Sight, 455 reach and 60 stem. L Spider has 467 reach.
    I am 6'2" with long legs and short torso/arms and love my XL with 40 stem. Because the long TT and the steep effective SA your weight is somewhat forward (or at least centered) despite the long front, short rear and short stem so I haven't found a wondering front end to be a problem when climbing. Furthermore, I have a 140mm fork too which would further bias it towards descending but I am happy with how it climbs. I think the short CSs actually help w climbing b/c your weight is more over the rear wheel.

I don't know what's best for you but for me, XL has been wonderful.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Managed to find a shock to use for now, might try a different model later (perks of the job)

Also on the size front, I am only 5' 8" and I'm building a large, I'm used to long bikes and a medium would have just been to short so using a large with 35mm stem and will fit a dropper in a shortish size once i know what size i need., so worked out on paper this should be fine but we will see when it's built!

mtbr member
    Managed to find a shock to use for now, might try a different model later (perks of the job)

Also on the size front, I am only 5' 8" and I'm building a large, I'm used to long bikes and a medium would have just been to short so using a large with 35mm stem and will fit a dropper in a shortish size once i know what size i need., so worked out on paper this should be fine but we will see when it's built!
    At 5'8" and size large? What are your inseams? Just curious for future reference when friends of same height ask.
    I'm 5'9 and feels comfy on a medium size Intense including the new Tracer.

Off topic.
    Not my Spider275a but I managed to freshen up my friend's OG Spider with a wee bit of pinstriping and killing off another front derialeur in the process.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzer View Post
    At 5'8" and size large? What are your inseams? Just curious for future reference when friends of same height ask.
    I'm 5'9 and feels comfy on a medium size Intense including the new Tracer.
    Not sure to be honest, but I've ridden a lot of different bikes and just know the sort of numbers that fit me. My other bike has a ~48mm shorter seat tube than the spider and i used a 150mm drop seatpost with 30mm out of the frame, so if i used a 125mm dropper on this i should be fine, but using a static post to measure first incase the maths don't add up.

I know people who are 6' riding XL intenses just depends on how you want it to fit really.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Choosing framesize by seattube length is plain wrong regarding modern mountainbikes in my opinion. Of course you need to be able to set the correct saddle psoition but other than that you should focus on reach AND stack. You cant look at either of those independently.

I have a large Spider at 184cm and 92cm inseam. Any smaller would be too small with a 50mm stem.
    "Official" Intense Spider 275 Pic and Info Thread-2123735-ziuoumi5r6nz-2017_03_1818_24_28-large.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    badIuck said:
    5 Minutes Ago
    Choosing framesize by seattube length is plain wrong regarding modern mountainbikes in my opinion. Of course you need to be able to set the correct saddle psoition but other than that you should focus on reach AND stack. You cant look at either of those independently.
    I'm not saying that's how I chose it just responding as asked about my inseam, which is this case shouldn't be a problem.

The reach on this bike is only a little bit longer than other bikes i have and with the 35mm stem the top tube will feel effectively the same as my medium specialized.

I've ridden a lot of bikes, with lots of different reach figures 415-480mm so have a decent idea where the sweet spot is for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by badIuck View Post

I have a large Spider at 184cm and 92cm inseam. Any smaller would be too small with a 50mm stem.

Name:	2123735-ziuoumi5r6nz-2017_03_1818_24_28-large.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	1127617
    Interesting. Im 187, 91 inseam and test rode a L spider last weekend (currently on an XL Norco Sight). LOVED the bike, it was so quick and whippy, but i found it juuust a touch small. Maybe it was the low stack height (though XL is same), maybe the short stem, maybe just coz it was a different fit to the Norco. I cant test ride an XL to rule it out so im thinking an L with 60 stem with some rise will put me in the sweet spot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Interesting. Im 187, 91 inseam and test rode a L spider last weekend (currently on an XL Norco Sight). LOVED the bike, it was so quick and whippy, but i found it juuust a touch small. Maybe it was the low stack height (though XL is same), maybe the short stem, maybe just coz it was a different fit to the Norco. I cant test ride an XL to rule it out so im thinking an L with 60 stem with some rise will put me in the sweet spot.
    I'm about 187 also and love my XL spider w/ 45mm stem.

mtbr member
    So stoked! After riding my Yeti SB95 for 6 years (and having it stolen, then getting it back! more info - Stolen Black Yeti SB95- Mtbr.com), I decided to upgrade my current rig.

Wanted to try the Primer, but Art's Cyclery is blowing out new 275c pros for $4,700. They also have a customer appreciation discount for another 15% on top, making this bike $4,250 shipped! I couldn't say no to that price for that build...

Stoked to post pics and ride this thing in Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve View Post
    So stoked! After riding my Yeti SB95 for 6 years (and having it stolen, then getting it back! more info - Stolen Black Yeti SB95- Mtbr.com), I decided to upgrade my current rig.

Wanted to try the Primer, but Art's Cyclery is blowing out new 275c pros for $4,700. They also have a customer appreciation discount for another 15% on top, making this bike $4,250 shipped! I couldn't say no to that price for that build...

Stoked to post pics and ride this thing in Santa Cruz.
    Killer deal on a Pro model! I think you're going to notice right off the bat how playful the Spider is compared to the SB95.

mtbr member
    Killer deal on a Pro model! I think you're going to notice right off the bat how playful the Spider is compared to the SB95.
    I hope so! Will take it out in Oakland, CA Sunday morning for it's first ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Nearly done!

Purgatory 2.6" is a bit too tight on the back so will have to get a 2.3"

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Sorry to place this here but my decision is imminent and I can not decide!! - can any of you intense owners give me a quick comparo to the spider vs tracer (vs Transition smuggler). I can have only one and all are options. I am 5-11 and 200 lbs. Ride everything, like to climb and do long rides but lots of short snappy up and downs.

I have a smuggler with good gear on, - great bike, but does not have that super responsiveness that a 27.5 can have. I have the chance to get either 2016 tracer or spider carbon top end builds - both almost new, for the similar price I can sell the smuggler for.

Different bikes, but they all do the same thing go up and down and over stuff, however
    I need to make the decision today, and I wanted any opinions please.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It really depends on your use of the bike. If you have a need for longer suspension, go for a Tracer. My experience is only short-term with a T275A and I have never had the opportunity to ride a Spider, so my opinion is likely irrelevant and immaterial.
    However, there are many threads about Santa Cruz 5010 owners who need more travel and try to stretch their suspension capabilities to that of a Bronson, for whatever that means. They are all VPP suspensions. Rumor has it that a shorter suspension is easier to be lively with, or whatever they say about poppiness or having better flickability, whatever that means. It all boils down to how you feel riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for the reply. Just having the chance for a really nice carbon intense, and having to choose quick is making my brain melt down. Maybe I'll just go for a ride on the smuggler and clear my head.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by badIuck View Post

Name:	2118370-mql2bff34f9o-p1020178-medium.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	1124882

Name:	2118374-auh7nu38wf1i-p1020180-medium.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	1124883

27.5lbs but I might change to a CCDB coil. I will test both shocks next weekend probably
    27.5lbs? With pedals? That might be the lightest 275a build to date! Can you share your build list? Also, very nice black-on-black-on-black build.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by froutts View Post
    Sorry to place this here but my decision is imminent and I can not decide!! - can any of you intense owners give me a quick comparo to the spider vs tracer (vs Transition smuggler). I can have only one and all are options. I am 5-11 and 200 lbs. Ride everything, like to climb and do long rides but lots of short snappy up and downs.

I have a smuggler with good gear on, - great bike, but does not have that super responsiveness that a 27.5 can have. I have the chance to get either 2016 tracer or spider carbon top end builds - both almost new, for the similar price I can sell the smuggler for.

Different bikes, but they all do the same thing go up and down and over stuff, however
    I need to make the decision today, and I wanted any opinions please.
    I haven't ridden the Tracer, but if you want "super responsiveness" the Spider won't disappoint.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by onlybirdman View Post
    27.5lbs? With pedals? That might be the lightest 275a build to date! Can you share your build list? Also, very nice black-on-black-on-black build.
    Fox 34 FIT4 Kabolt axle
    Manitou Mcleod
    Shimano XTR levers + Magura MT5 calipers
    Hope floating discs
    Dati M5 hubs
    32mm Yishun carbon rims
    Sapim Laser spokes
    Bikeyoke Revive seatpost
    Chromag Seatclamp
    Raceface Next SL 760mm
    Easton Haven 50mm
    Sram S2210 cranks
    Absoluteblack chainring and topcap
    ESI racers edge grips
    Onza ibex 120tpi tubeless
    SDG Circuit carbon
    Mallet Enduro
    Hope headset
    Sram X1 derailleur shifter and cassette

I think thats it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    So I decided to bite the bullet and bought a 2016 Spider 275C Pro online on clearance special.

I'm just wondering if others have found any common little things to look out for when building it up. For example, any specific points needing extra grease or pivot bolts not torqued to spec etc etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    So I decided to bite the bullet and bought a 2016 Spider 275C Pro online on clearance special.

I'm just wondering if others have found any common little things to look out for when building it up. For example, any specific points needing extra grease or pivot bolts not torqued to spec etc etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    I think you made a good choice. The Spider in a higher end spec is a very forgiving bike on the downhills and such a responsive bike. I love my Spider for tight flowy trails.

I bought mine pre-built so I can't comment on building one up but I would torque the pivot bolts to spec. The frame should already come assembled and torqued.

mtbr member

My new Intense Spider 275C

Hello everyone, just wanted to share with you all my new ride. I just sold my old Ibis Mojo SL 26 inch bike and I used the money to upgrade to this bike. I already changed the rear shock to a Monarch+ RC3 and I have a new bar and stem on the way just to get the fitment just right for my riding style. Already did a 3 hour endurance race with this rig and came in right in the middle of the pack. I'm super happy with it. "Official" Intense Spider 275 Pic and Info Thread-side.jpg"Official" Intense Spider 275 Pic and Info Thread-straight.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Sektor7g View Post
    Hello everyone, just wanted to share with you all my new ride. I just sold my old Ibis Mojo SL 26 inch bike and I used the money to upgrade to this bike. I already changed the rear shock to a Monarch+ RC3 and I have a new bar and stem on the way just to get the fitment just right for my riding style. Already did a 3 hour endurance race with this rig and came in right in the middle of the pack. I'm super happy with it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Side.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	1140473Click image for larger version. 

Name:	straight.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	218.5 KB 
ID:	1140472
    Congrats on the new bike and the race! How does your new ride compare to the Mojo SL?

mtbr member
    Congrats on the new bike and the race! How does your new ride compare to the Mojo SL?
    Well, the Intense is heavier than my old Ibis so, I'm still getting used to that (it can be fixed though). The rear 148 boost axle on the Intense combined with the "box link" design makes this bike soooooo much stiffer. The Ibis rear triangle always felt like a wet noodle. I also love the tune on the shock, the bike feels like a hard tail when flicking it around but yet compliant over obstacles. I also prefer the longer reach of the top tube which allows me to use a shorter stem. The longer wheelbase and raked head angle makes the bike feel like a DH bike on descents with still great feel on climbs. No lie, its' my favorite bike I've owned so far (except for my DW link MKII IronHorse 26'er, that bike was nice). Oh, yeah going from 26 to 27.5 has been a bit weird but I'm liking it so far. Not sure I could ever do a 29.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hi all, I'm planning to order a spider 275c pro build soon. No dealers near me to demo so I'm trying to figure out which size would be best. I'm 5'10, 185lbs, and of very average/typical proportions. That puts me right between a medium and large on Intense's sizing chart. Any advice on whether to go for a medium or large frame? I ride primarily tight, twisty, punchy trails with many short, steep hills, bermed turns and small jumps (Alafia river and Santos). I also ride trails around Austin TX from time to time (generally rocky).

Here's a video of the trail I ride most often (not my vid)
    https://youtu.be/kgKWuAoVqdQ

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BikePilot1 View Post
    Hi all, I'm planning to order a spider 275c pro build soon. No dealers near me to demo so I'm trying to figure out which size would be best. I'm 5'10, 185lbs, and of very average/typical proportions. That puts me right between a medium and large on Intense's sizing chart. Any advice on whether to go for a medium or large frame? I ride primarily tight, twisty, punchy trails with many short, steep hills, bermed turns and small jumps (Alafia river and Santos). I also ride trails around Austin TX from time to time (generally rocky).

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to buy a bike you can't test ride. On top of that, it doesn't sound like you have a local dealer. What are you going to do when you have issues with your new bike?
    As far as sizing goes, compare what you are riding now to the Spider 275 online specs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    People always ask about the test ride thing. I used to only buy bikes that I can at least hop over for size, but not anymore. My four recent purchases of the last few years are only based on research (a lot of). So far 1 of those 4 purchases I regret. I'm from the Midwest and very few shops carry the bikes I'm interested in. What's worse, when interesting bikes are in stock in my size I can only test ride them around the parking lot. Brands like the Intense, Ibis, Yeti verity rarely hold demo events near me, if ever. That's why I often make my decisions without test rides, unfortunately.

Availability is one reason, price is another. Because I make my decisions without test riding, I better find the best deals available in case I make the wrong decision. Again, the best deals are rarely local. It is for sure a risk, but is a calculated risk that I'm willing to take so I don't have to limit myself to just Trek or Specialized.

By the way, this is only a mountain bike issue. For road bikes, I usually find bikes to test ride fairly easily, and I never regret any of my road bike purchases for that reason.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I removed my BB today and discovered this. Anyone else notice this on their Spider 275C? Checked my Spider 29C and no hole on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I am the proud owner of a new 275c stock Pro Build. I am not very techie...just curious what the widest realistic size tire I could go to on this bike. The DT Swiss specs shows up to 2.7mm with the stock M1700 spline2 clincher rims. I wanted to give the Rekon 2.6 a try since Maxxis measures knob to knob and I think they'll fit without rub. But seems like the tire will be pinched in the narrow rim. Anyone done this on a 22.5mm rim?

My curiosity stems from riding a SC Hightower with the 2.8's, it was crazy fun. But I prefer being able to go skinnier not up to the 29".

Great thread by the way and beautiful builds up above. Love that custom paint job!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

I'm 5'8, 30" inseam, long arms, on a Medium and it's a great fit. Bike is a riot in tight terrain and on short punchy climbs. At 5'10 you could go either way, but I would think large with a short stem would be the way I would go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    I'm 5'8, 30" inseam, long arms, on a Medium and it's a great fit. Bike is a riot in tight terrain and on short punchy climbs. At 5'10 you could go either way, but I would think large with a short stem would be the way I would go.
    I'm 5'8", 31" inseam, 26.8" arm (says my bike fitter). I'm also on a medium, with stock 70mm stem length. I like the way it fits. It doesn't over stretch me at all, likely due to the steep seat tube. Side note, I mentioned this in an earlier post, when I measured the reach of the bike with the help of my laser level guide, I only measured 440mm with my 130mm fork, not the specced 445mm. YMMV. Take it with a grain of salt.

mtbr member

Well, I am at around 5'11 and 200 lbs. I like long walks at the beach..... Wait, wrong forum!! Seriously though, I own a Large 257C in large and find that it fits me perfect. I ride platform "Race Face Chester" pedals with either Lakai skate shoes or Five Ten's (I set the seat post different for each shoes because of height). I have been to santos twice and Alafia once with this bike and had a blast. I got the Intense to replace my old Ibis Mojo Sl large and could not be happier. I also have to buy bikes on-line without testing them, I just use the manufacturer measurement specs to compare dimensions and never had issues. Being 5'11 I also have issues finding the right fit between M and L. The spider has a longer head tube than most bikes out there with a short stem so this style might be new to you. The fitment is a bit on the slack side of things which positions you more towards the back of the bike (almost like a downhill/freeride position). Still, I had no issues making the steep, twisty climbs at alafia. I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SDBiker619 View Post
    I removed my BB today and discovered this. Anyone else notice this on their Spider 275C? Checked my Spider 29C and no hole on it.
    What did Intense say?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    What did Intense say?
    Waiting for them to open.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    What did Intense say?
    Just got word back from Intense, this hole is found on all Spider 275C frames.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SDBiker619 View Post
    Just got word back from Intense, this hole is found on all Spider 275C frames.
    My frame is brand new, and it looks the same.

Beer Please! SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Sektor7g View Post
    Well, I am at around 5'11 and 200 lbs. I like long walks at the beach..... Wait, wrong forum!! Seriously though, I own a Large 257C in large and find that it fits me perfect. I ride platform "Race Face Chester" pedals with either Lakai skate shoes or Five Ten's (I set the seat post different for each shoes because of height). I have been to santos twice and Alafia once with this bike and had a blast. I got the Intense to replace my old Ibis Mojo Sl large and could not be happier. I also have to buy bikes on-line without testing them, I just use the manufacturer measurement specs to compare dimensions and never had issues. Being 5'11 I also have issues finding the right fit between M and L. The spider has a longer head tube than most bikes out there with a short stem so this style might be new to you. The fitment is a bit on the slack side of things which positions you more towards the back of the bike (almost like a downhill/freeride position). Still, I had no issues making the steep, twisty climbs at alafia. I hope this helps.
    I am 5 foot 9.5inch tall, 31 inch inseam and weigh 210.

I just picked up a Size Large last weekend and it fits me perfect.

I did a quick 3 mile ride to get myself fitted and make a few adjustments and on one short Climb where my all time best climb time was a 2:55, I did it in 2:24.... This Bike RIPS!

Pic from yesterday, I am doing a longer ride today and am stoked to get on and pedal:
    "Official" Intense Spider 275 Pic and Info Thread-black-widow-maiden-voyage.jpg
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-IntenseCustServ View Post
    2016 Spider 275 Alloy and Tracer 275 Alloy are both boost 12x148 spacing, apologies for the typo in the manual!
    Hi Sam, any chance you can reconfirm this. Everything I see online shows the 2016 Spider 275A having a 142mm axle?

Also curious if the Fox Float 34 on the 2016 Spider 275A (as currently shown on Intense's website) is a 2015 model fork? I'm asking as I'm seriously considering this bike because of the price point but bumping the travel up to 140/150mm and running slightly wider tires for a more aggressive build. Any issues with that? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trnsprt View Post
    I am the proud owner of a new 275c stock Pro Build. I am not very techie...just curious what the widest realistic size tire I could go to on this bike. The DT Swiss specs shows up to 2.7mm with the stock M1700 spline2 clincher rims. I wanted to give the Rekon 2.6 a try since Maxxis measures knob to knob and I think they'll fit without rub. But seems like the tire will be pinched in the narrow rim. Anyone done this on a 22.5mm rim?

My curiosity stems from riding a SC Hightower with the 2.8's, it was crazy fun. But I prefer being able to go skinnier not up to the 29".

Great thread by the way and beautiful builds up above. Love that custom paint job!
    I've also recently bought the same bike on clearance sale. I lasted 3 rides on the M1700 wheels with the stocks tyres, the 22.5ID rims are already at their limit on the stock tyres (IMO). A 2.6 tyre needs minimum 29ID rim. Not sure where you've seen that the M1700 22.5ID wheels can take a 2.7 tyre, but I think you are mistaken. Such a setup would handle terribly.

Bit disappointed these are the wheels Intense chose as stock for a 2016 build when the big players were going wide on all their models. Anyway, I've swapped to my carbon wheelset with 27mm internal and 2.3 Purgatory in the rear. Feeling mich more planted than the stock wheels. The 2.3 Purgatory is as big as you could go in the rear, maybe 2.4s in some tyres might fit but definitely not a 2.6! This limit is due to the crazy short chainstays, you will not have clearance at the JS link with bigbag tyres.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Theres definitely a shop in Austin that carries intense. Try Canyon Cycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for all the sizing advice! Sounds like a large is best. I'll try to find a demo while traveling for work (which takes me to Austin fairly often). I've ridden a pivot 429 trail quite a bit in Medium and found that probably a size too small. It was really short in reach which I didn't like and a tad short in effective top tube length when seated (felt like the bars were way too close when standing a little close when seated). Looks like the Spider has a way-longer reach and a little longer TT if I go for a larger, which should be great!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Anyone have issues with the main pivot attached to the frame bolt coming loose? Mine has twice in the past 6 months. I have a 2015 frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Remove and clean the bolt(s). Use blue lock-tite to keep them in place.

If you have the inclination, remove, clean, and inspect the linkage assembly.

Assembly instructions are in the user's manual. They can be downloaded from the Intense website, where you can also find replacements for any worn parts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Check all of your bearings for any binding. If all are ok then just use a torque wrench and torque to specs which are in the manual or online. I don't use any loctite and they never come loose.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by paul c View Post
    Check all of your bearings for any binding. If all are ok then just use a torque wrench and torque to specs which are in the manual or online. I don't use any loctite and they never come loose.
    It's actually the pivot in the swing arm, I don't think that makes any difference. When I ride it feels like there is some play when pedaling.

I had all the bearing/ pivots services in the spring when this first happened. I am not the most mechanically inclined, do I just need to remove the bolt and see if the bearings still move?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ok, if it is a carbon frame and if it is one with the tubular bolt that uses an 8mm Allen wrench to preload then a cone with a 5mm Allen like in the vpp link then it could be missing a spacer in between the bearings. My 2016 was missing that and I mangled those bearings always trying to adjust them after each ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Ok, if it is a carbon frame and if it is one with the tubular bolt that uses an 8mm Allen wrench to preload then a cone with a 5mm Allen like in the vpp link then it could be missing a spacer in between the bearings. My 2016 was missing that and I mangled those bearings always trying to adjust them after each ride.

It's an 2015 aluminum frame, could that still be the issue?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Don't think so, that type of bolt is only on the vpp link on the aluminum frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I am trying to remove the lower pivot assembly but can't figure out how to remove the cone adjuster, item #14, part #130807. With the cone adjuster bolt, item #25, removed, the inside of the cone adjuster and the main pivot bolt , item #11 part #130791, are round inside. This is for a 2016 275C. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by SDBiker619; 07-10-2017 at 05:50 PM. Reason: More info

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    So you're saying that you got the 5mm Allen bolt out but the cone is stuck in there? If you take a #2 Phillips head screw driver and just stick about 3/8" in there and give it a wiggle that cone will come loose. It's because it's tapered and wedged in place.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I will give that a try. Didn't want to apply any brute force until I got some input on my issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    So you're saying that you got the 5mm Allen bolt out but the cone is stuck in there? If you take a #2 Phillips head screw driver and just stick about 3/8" in there and give it a wiggle that cone will come loose. It's because it's tapered and wedged in place.
    That worked, thanks much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    As suspected, box link bearings are done. Any idea where to purchase replacement box link part #130764? Fanatik Bike doesn't show this part on there website.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Anyone ride either rear travel set at 115mm? Just wondering if it makes a big difference in ride characteristics. I have been looking at getting a new bike, thunderbolt , optic or a 29er but also might lower my fork to 130mm and reduce the bottom travel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Never did, always left it in the 130 setting.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Upgraded my Spider to a Black Widow:

"Official" Intense Spider 275 Pic and Info Thread-black-widow-spider-275-top-tube.jpg
    "Official" Intense Spider 275 Pic and Info Thread-black-widow-spider-275.jpg
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast