Ride Hard, Ride Fast!!!

Noticed different links for 6.6...

As I looked through the postings/threads for the last 4-5 months I've noticed that there are three different links used for the 6.6. The first two in the pictures below (Orange & Grey) maybe have been a prototype. The one used for the Orange 6.6 has a satin metal look; and the one for the Gray 6.6 has a black link.

Definitely the last one (Red) is what I see in the current pictures posted and at the local bike shops.

Just curious if anyone has any information regarding the difference...
    Attached Images Attached Images

TC3
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HardCharger
    As I looked through the postings/threads for the last 4-5 months I've noticed that there are three different links used for the 6.6. The first two in the pictures below (Orange & Grey) maybe have been a prototype. The one used for the Orange 6.6 has a satin metal look; and the one for the Gray 6.6 has a black link.

Definitely the last one (Red) is what I see in the current pictures posted and at the local bike shops.

I believe the straight links are production ones, and the other ones are prototypes (looks like it borrow from uzzi).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

The orange and grey bike have the right link. The red I have never seen before. The top one just looks grey, they all come black. The links are not interchangeable between any of the vp bikes.

Hurdy Gurdy
    Nov 2005

Which link??

Quote Originally Posted by TC3
    I believe the straight links are production ones, and the other ones are prototypes (looks like it borrow from uzzi).
    I'm with you TC3! Just checked out a newly arrived 6.6 in a bike store here in Kuala Lumpur tonight, and the link is the straight one. At least I hope so, as I placed a deposit and they start building this weekend!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Not only that, but there differences on the small tube that connects the top and seat tubes.
    There are differences around that area or probably the swing arm is a little different too.

I has a theory about frames sizes but after looking at the pics of small, medium and large frames it does not seem a good one
    Last edited by King_Kikapu; 02-16-2006 at 11:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duder69
    The orange and grey bike have the right link. The red I have never seen before. The top one just looks grey, they all come black. The links are not interchangeable between any of the vp bikes.
    The links do look like the Uzzi, although the production links ARE the same as what is on the red 6.6 in the third photo. There is a slight difference in measurement on the top link from bearing to bearing between the Uzzi and 6.6, however the lower links all measure the same, but they sit on the frame at different angles. Me and a buddy were actually going to try and swap rear ends on the Uzzi to the 6.6, but measurements were off by about 10mm. Would've been a sweet look though.eric@competitivecyclist.com

Bike Pimp

The links in the orange and silver frames are Uzii links cut in half, narrowed and welded back... Very perceptive by the way.

The orange frame is a photo of a proto type taken outside of Wrench Science and the silver (grey?) looks like Bootleg Canyon demo.

The production 6.6 frames have a straight link.
    Wrenchscience.com
    ...Your local bike shop....

Members who have read this thread: 0