Thread: Nomad vs Tracer

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Nomad vs Tracer

I'm shopping for my dream bike. I've MTB'd for the last 15 years and finally get to get my dream bike. Unfortunately I don't know what it is yet.
    I absolutely love the look of the Tracer VP and the reviews are all pretty outstanding. However can't get hold of a demo bike in NZ. I have just thrashed (myself on) a 1st generation Nomad for the last two and a half hours, riding stuff I never have before, just unreal handling and soo confidence inspiring. Now I'm going to feel like a bit of a plonker shelling out for a bike I haven't tried, but something is stopping me pulling the trigger on a new Nomad. Has anyone ridden both and able to provide some sage words of wisdom.
    PS I'm going to demo a Pivot Mk5 and a 5.5 spot too so any comparisons on those would be massively appreciated

Dude, got any schwag?
    Get the Tracer and you can set it up big like the Nomad, or quick (er) like the Blur LT. And with the Tracer you can name the guy that designed it and the guy that welded it. I bought mine without a test ride and I am blown away with how well this bike rides. You should buy 2.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    i just got the tracer frame and was riding a 6.6 ss b4 that. I breifly had a nomad before I got the 6.6ss. I had all 3 built the same way, basically with the same parts. Lighter wheels for xc, dual ring guide, gravity dropper post, lyrik solo air fork, sram, etc. I loved the nomad, very long and stable. then I got the 6.6ss and it was even better---geometry is absolutely spot on. The short rear makes it snappy and feels like my dh bike when descending. both the nomad and the 6.6ss were incredible but still a bit too much for extended trail rides. I had both the ss and the nomad built to 33-34 lbs. I wanted to figure a way to drop some weight but retain the geometry and riding charactertics of the nomad and ss.
    The tracer is just basically more versatile. Lighter for starts(mine is 30lbs) it goes up much better and i can still ride it like i would my dh bike on the descents. Definitely a 160mm fork, and a dropper type seatpost and this sweetie comes to life--soooo happy i got it...you wont be disappointed...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have the SS and the 6.6. Perhaps for your requirements the 6.6 could be a good option? I have both bikes with lightish builds (6.6 is about 31/32lbs and the SS about 36). The SS is awesome when the going gets more hardcore but over all - for trail riding and general mucking about - the 6.6 is an increadibly fun bike. Try to get your hands on one for a test ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks for the input guys - i have managed to get hold of a tracer demo now so waiting with baited breath for it to arrive.... and now i might have to try for a 6.6 too????
    anyway crossed the mkV pivot off the list today

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Tracer - first generation, New Nomad is something like 3rd or 4th generation. Both amazing bikes but one has been around a lot longer so many of the bugs have been ironed out.