Thread: Noisy Spider 29

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Noisy Spider 29

Any experience with a noisy rear suspension on the Spider 29? I dont think I can tighten the lower shock bolt anymore. No matter what I do, after a few rides I have the loudest bike on the trail. Please help!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My guess is the pivots. Have you ever serviced the bearings? What kind of conditions do you ride in?

Most likley pull out the pivot bolts, clean everything real good, pop the dust seals on the bearings, repack with grease, lock tite the bolts and reassemble.

For some reason, the enduro bearings bleed out their grease relatively quickly and easily. In my opinion if you want your bike feeling smooth and new they need to be repacked at least every 6 months, possibly more often. And thats riding in SoCal weather, no rain, no mud.

mtbr member

Intense 29 Issues

Burton,

There are a couple of things that could be causing the noise on your bike, please give us a call and we'll help you troubleshoot your issues.

951-296-9596 ext #18

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IntenseMack10
    For some reason, the enduro bearings bleed out their grease relatively quickly and easily. In my opinion if you want your bike feeling smooth and new they need to be repacked at least every 6 months, possibly more often. And thats riding in SoCal weather, no rain, no mud.
    You're kidding! Right? Twice a year?

I ride my Spider29 in europe since 1 1/2 year in every conditions (ca. 3'500 miles/year) without any noise. I expect more then 2 years for a set bearings. Anything below would be dissapointing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Be@t
    You're kidding! Right? Twice a year?

I ride my Spider29 in europe since 1 1/2 year in every conditions (ca. 3'500 miles/year) without any noise. I expect more then 2 years for a set bearings. Anything below would be dissapointing.
    If you don't repack them with grease every once in a while you are up for a rude awakening.

mtbr member
    o.k. in this case I think it's better to order a set of bearings and to plan a exchange after the wet and muddy wintertime...

mtbr member
    Why not just pop the seals off, clean and re-grease? A whole lot easier than putting in new bearings.

mtbr member
    I thought:

1. order a set of bearings (will take some time until they're here in Switzerland)
    2. ride with the original bearings until they go noisy or loosen
    3. If noisy -> regrease and try again
    4. change of bearings

mtbr member
    Re-grease them now before they start making problems. Even if they don't make any noise they might be already running dry. Pretty easy to do too. There are some manuals on here, just do a search.