New Intense T275 Carbon

IPA will save America

Dude, got any schwag?
    Sweet!
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

Lord of the Chain Rings
    What is driving me nuts - is that no one is explaining why Intense has a Tracer 275 and a Carbine 275 that basically the same bike. If I wanted a 6 inch Trail/Enduro bike in Carbon with 275 I would go with the Carbine if I wanted Aluminum I would go with the Tracer. So what is the difference between the Carbine and Tracer C?
    Uzzi

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by orastreet View Post
    What is driving me nuts - is that no one is explaining why Intense has a Tracer 275 and a Carbine 275 that basically the same bike. If I wanted a 6 inch Trail/Enduro bike in Carbon with 275 I would go with the Carbine if I wanted Aluminum I would go with the Tracer. So what is the difference between the Carbine and Tracer C?
    Slight geometry tweaks and a lot of hype. I would expect the Carbine to disappear from the lineup soon.

mtbr member
    And internal cable routing. You get more media hype with a new model than you would with just some frame updates.....looks a little beefier too. Has that new buzzword "Enduro" attached to it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Seems like pretty minor changes. Sliiiiightly different geo, internal cable routing. No more dropouts for 275.

mtbr member
    "Enduro"
    Ohhhh, sexy.

New colors too, don't forget that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm just hoping that these geometry tweaks and the niceties like internal cable routing make their way to the Aluminum Tracer. I guess it's a little different because they're still selling through back-stock of the current Tracer 275, but can Sam or anyone comment on when we might see the updates to the aluminum Tracer?
    You guys wanna ride bikes?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What disturbs me is frame only prices pushing well past $3K and completes for more than $10K... I will wait a while till the hype dies down and pick up a frame cheap. I got my Carbine brand new for half that price.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Slight geometry tweaks and a lot of hype. I would expect the Carbine to disappear from the lineup soon.
    I would agree on your speculation that the Carbine 275 might be getting dropped from the line, but with how much praise the Carbine 29 has gotten, I would guess the Carbine 29 is gonna be around for a few years.

The Carbine 275 seems to be focused on 'foundation builds' this year with lower level components to have bikes at a lower price point. The Tracer T275 seemingly is only out in pro level (XX1, XTR, XO1) builds at the moment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The Carbine is a 26" bike (converted), and the T275 is, well a dedicated 275 design. Subtle, but significant in performance terms.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    The Carbine is a 26" bike (converted), and the T275 is, well a dedicated 275 design. Subtle, but significant in performance terms.
    interesting...Im curious to understand more about the subtle improvements...can you elaborate?

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Apparently the "reviewer" [advertorial writer] wasn't paying attention.

- The travel is adjustable to 145 mm, not 140 mm.
    - This bike does not have G1 dropouts.
    - The bottom bracket was not raised to 13.5". Heck, if that's actually correct, the bottom bracket was lowered to 13.5".
    - The explanation of the brake forces applied to the rear mount is made-up BS.
    - Yes, Intense refers to this bike as the Tracer T275, not Tracer 275C as the 'author' described.

If you want a more accurate and meaningful review, check this out: 2014 Intense Tracer T275 Carbon Pro ? Reviews, Comparisons, Specs ? Mountain Bikes - Vital MTB
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    There seems to be a bunch of numbers on the site that are possibly wrong. Stand over 31.40 for a Med? 45.25 for a Wheel base ,thats LONG.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zootsuitbass View Post
    45.25 for a Wheel base ,thats LONG.
    Sounds right to me.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    For a med?

mtbr member
    For a med?
    Yeah, my medium Yeti SB66 which is in the same category (albeit with 26" wheels) has a 45.4" wheelbase. Anytime you mix a reasonably slack headangle and a front center long enough to work properly with a short stem, the end result is going to be a longish wheelbase. The key IMHO is keeping the chainstays reasonably short (as Intense does) so the bike still turns well.

WheelBanger
    Jun 2010
    The new Tracer 275 looks stunning. I like the way it keeps the shape of the aluminum frames top tube. Looks to be more burly than a Carbine 275, put the posted weight says not. My medium Carbine frame weighted 5.7 lbs, just hope my 6 month old Carbine doesn't become a bike of the past.

mtbr member
    Agree on the shape. Losing the alu. dropouts and hardware probably shaved some weight compared to the Carbine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesrider View Post
    The new Tracer 275 looks stunning. I like the way it keeps the shape of the aluminum frames top tube. Looks to be more burly than a Carbine 275, put the posted weight says not. My medium Carbine frame weighted 5.7 lbs, just hope my 6 month old Carbine doesn't become a bike of the past.
    It just may... gotta love planned obsolescence in the bike industry. The companies love dangling new carrots in front of us to keep their pockets padded and ours empty... I still love my Carbine 275 and while the T275 looks to be well executed its not enough of a change to warrant a purchase at least for me.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Med. Wheelbases

Tracer 45.25
    Carbine 44.2
    Bronson 44.9
    Mach 6 44.85

mtbr member
    Med. Wheelbases

Tracer 45.25 - Steeper head angle, shorter reach
    Carbine 44.2 - Steeper head angle, shorter reach
    Bronson 44.9 - Steeper head angle, shorter reach, longer chainstays
    Mach 6 44.85 - Shorter chainstays, shorter reach (almost 1/2" shorter)
    The point is all the numbers add up and things like a 1/2 degree head angle change (coupled with the length of a 160mm fork) does have a meaningful effect on wheelbase. Also worth mentioning that the T275 has more travel than all of the other bikes you listed.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Cool...so it's normal...

How about a 31.25 stand over?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Anyone else noticed the geometry chart in the intense site is slightly different to the ones on pinkbike/nsmb etc? Mainly slightly longer reach and wheelbase measurements, as well as an extra large size! Anyone know which geo chart is correct?

mtbr member
    My guess is that they are gonna close out the Carbine that has some issues and made the new Tracer 27.5 that has the necessary corrections.

For example, I just got my Carbine 27.5. 3 rides on it and I already have tire clearance issues. Running a 2.3 Maxxis Minnion DHR tire which should be a standard tire for this rig and it is rubbing when I bottom out. So, I took the air out of the shock and compressed the suspension and the tire touches the seat tube. Now, I have to run it at 5.5" (low travel 140mm) which makes the ride unbalanced with a 160mm fork or get a small tire with less tread. Not good.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast