Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    the stock fox has the plastic bushings... just transfer them to the rs shock...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhpepper View Post
    1. I am a bigger guy of 200lbs or so, and would look to spec a 140 fork. I am leaning towards fox float over RS pike to keep a2c low and don't want to slacken the seat angle too much. I wondered if anyone had comparison between the 34 and 36 on the bike? (I presume a 140 up front is a good choice over the 130 that would have been on the demo?)
    Haven't tried the Fox but I specced mine with a 140mm Pike and it climbs anything so don't worry about it being too slack if you go down that route. In my experience as a bigger bloke the Pike is a better option than a Fox

connisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Herrn View Post
    the stock fox has the plastic bushings... just transfer them to the rs shock...
    Ok thx, might just get new hardware instead of messing with removing the metal bushing

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I prefer plastic bushings. They run much smoother, last longer and usually they don't wear the hardware when they are worn. In Germany we have igus bushings and get matching hardware from a guy who build them in his workshop. Maybe you have something like that in the US as well....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Anyone have the stock Rockshox shock on their bike? Can you tell me the tune? Is it M/M like the fox stuff?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    After a few demo rides, the primer is topping my list. Before I pull the trigger, I had a few questions regards make up for the best all around trail build (my demo's have been on the factory build, but I would look to get SL frame set and build up custom)

1. I am a bigger guy of 200lbs or so, and would look to spec a 140 fork. I am leaning towards fox float over RS pike to keep a2c low and don't want to slacken the seat angle too much. I wondered if anyone had comparison between the 34 and 36 on the bike? (I presume a 140 up front is a good choice over the 130 that would have been on the demo?)

2. The demo was spec with the Fox Float Evol. Although perhaps not as plush as would have liked while in the saddle (I guess part of the JS tune, and what makes the bike so efficient?) I general liked the shock.. but noticed a lot of you guys are swapping them out. Benefits? (I have been running float x on other bike but not sure something like that would make enough of a diff to justify the upgrade?)

3. I noticed the Factory build was very stiff. I don't doubt much of that is the frame, but wondered if much could be attributed to those DT Swiss carbon rims and if wheel set will make much of a diff?

4. It looks like I can only get XL Orange frameset in the UK at the moment. From pictures, I would probably have preferred the blue (although don't really like any of the primer colour schemes other than the black/grey) but wondered how often Intense tend to refresh the colours on their bike lines?

5. Other than my dislike of the paint job, does anyone who has actually spent some time on a primer have anything bad to say? :-)

Thanks in advance...
    1. I would recommend the Fox fork over the RS. Also, as for 34 or 36. The 34 is spec'd because this is Fox's trail fork whereas the 36 is billed as an All-mountain/enduro fork. The 34 is available in 120, 130 & 140MM but the 36 is only available in 150mm & 160mm in 29" size. So if you wanted to run a 36 body fork you will need to do a 150mm.

2. Did you play with the 3-position at all? Depending on how much sag you were running maybe run a little more sag and then flip the switch to firm on the climbs to slow down the compression.

3. The Carbon DT's are a very stiff wheel and are going to be quite a bit stiffer than the alloys. Unless you run a wider inner width alloy wheel those carbon DT's are gonna be hard to beat. The SL frame with the high modulus carbon also helps stiffen up that rear triangle.

4. New colors every model year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    After a few demo rides, the primer is topping my list. Before I pull the trigger, I had a few questions regards make up for the best all around trail build (my demo's have been on the factory build, but I would look to get SL frame set and build up custom)

2. The demo was spec with the Fox Float Evol. Although perhaps not as plush as would have liked while in the saddle (I guess part of the JS tune, and what makes the bike so efficient?) I general liked the shock.. but noticed a lot of you guys are swapping them out. Benefits? (I have been running float x on other bike but not sure something like that would make enough of a diff to justify the upgrade?)

3. I noticed the Factory build was very stiff. I don't doubt much of that is the frame, but wondered if much could be attributed to those DT Swiss carbon rims and if wheel set will make much of a diff?

4. It looks like I can only get XL Orange frameset in the UK at the moment. From pictures, I would probably have preferred the blue (although don't really like any of the primer colour schemes other than the black/grey) but wondered how often Intense tend to refresh the colours on their bike lines?

5. Other than my dislike of the paint job, does anyone who has actually spent some time on a primer have anything bad to say? :-)

Thanks in advance...
    1. - without a doubt go 140. When I tried 130 it felt too XC and nervous on the steeps. 140 its a different bike. I don't feel you lose anything in thr handling either.

Fox 34 or Pike you can't really go wrong. 34 for lightweight, pike for small bump compliance and slightly stiffer.

4. Think UK frame only is orange/grey SL only. Thats what I was told anyway.

5. No. All good. I'm still tinkering with rear shocks. Just bought a second hand CCinline for £150 (200x50) so will se how thay compares.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Cheers guys! Such a rad bike!!!

My rims arrived on friday afternoon along with the final box of parts so it was off to the shop for spokes and a late night friday lacing and then all day saturday building the wheels and building up the bike into another long saturday night getting done just in time for a late afternoon ride sunday to get the first feel.

This one might be a bit over the top with bling... but the last 4 bikes I've built and owned have been all black on black on black... so I am embracing the color opportunity on this one and being at a different point in life. I got hit by a car on motorcycle late last summer totaling that bike, so I had a head start financing the build on this with the insurance claim and the decision not to replace the motorcycle, although I will say, my well equipped KLR paid out in full market value still only financed about 1/2 of this mt bike!

I am a big guy- about 260lb these days... and this is the least travel, steepest geo bike I've owned in 10 years... so I'm sure a bit beefier build then most. Every piece was specifically chosen for it's function and fit into the project and to support my girth and style.

So here she is!!! Came in just a hair over 30LB fully built, ready to ride.

Intense Primer SL Frame Large
    Chris King Headset
    DVO Diamond 140 Fork- Brown and Topaz Shock
    Hope Evo pro 4 hubs- Purple
    Light Bicycle Carbon rims EN928
    Shimano Saint Brakes w/180 Rotors Front and Back
    Shimano M9000 XTR shifter, M8000 XT cassette and XT derailer
    ONEUP 47 tooth for a 11-47 11sp setup
    Race Face Next cranks with RF Atlas pedals
    RF SixC bars, Turbine R stem, RF grips, seat, Turbine seat post lever
    Pacific Northwest Components Bachelor 150 Seatpost
    Maxxix Minion DHR2 / DHF tires

New Intense Primer 29er!-img_1158.jpg

New Intense Primer 29er!-img_1172.jpg

New Intense Primer 29er!-img_1163.jpg

New Intense Primer 29er!-img_1167.jpg

New Intense Primer 29er!-img_1169.jpg

New Intense Primer 29er!-img_1170.jpg

New Intense Primer 29er!-img_1177.jpg

New Intense Primer 29er!-img_1179.jpg

New Intense Primer 29er!-img_1183.jpg

New Intense Primer 29er!-img_1185.jpg

New Intense Primer 29er!-img_1209.jpg

New Intense Primer 29er!-img_1211.jpg

New Intense Primer 29er!-img_11932.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Such a versatile bike. My factory build with the same frame as above is less than 26lbs with magnesium pedals and ergo grips installed. Since I already have a 140mm travel Trek Remedy, I wanted a bike that comes closer to XC but still handles most anything I can throw at it.

connisseur
    The purple hubs are an interesting choice , bike looks awesome! I'm hoping mine comes in somewhere in the middle of 26-30lbs, frame should be ready next week maybe have the bike by the end of the month, it's been a long wait our normally snowy spring has been bone dry. Riding my hardtail lately but ready for some squish!

mtbr member
    Tekko your primer looks rad, can't wait to hear how you like it. Even at 30 lbs it's going to fly up hill.
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Anyone replace the rear axle? It's nice it's out of the way but it would be a nightmare for trailside fixes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I try to get a DT RWS x12 boost. It's listed on the DT HP but there's no shop that has it listed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks yeah no luck. I am considering this

https://robertaxleproject.com/shop/l...-x-1-0-thread/

I dont mind using a tool, but two sizes and two parts that could get lost trailside is not optimal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tekko View Post
    Cheers guys! Such a rad bike!!!

My rims arrived on friday afternoon along with the final box of parts so it was off to the shop for spokes and a late night friday lacing and then all day saturday building the wheels and building up the bike into another long saturday night getting done just in time for a late afternoon ride sunday to get the first feel.

This one might be a bit over the top with bling... but the last 4 bikes I've built and owned have been all black on black on black... so I am embracing the color opportunity on this one and being at a different point in life. I got hit by a car on motorcycle late last summer totaling that bike, so I had a head start financing the build on this with the insurance claim and the decision not to replace the motorcycle, although I will say, my well equipped KLR paid out in full market value still only financed about 1/2 of this mt bike!

I am a big guy- about 260lb these days... and this is the least travel, steepest geo bike I've owned in 10 years... so I'm sure a bit beefier build then most. Every piece was specifically chosen for it's function and fit into the project and to support my girth and style.

So here she is!!! Came in just a hair over 30LB fully built, ready to ride.

Intense Primer SL Frame Large
    Chris King Headset
    DVO Diamond 140 Fork- Brown and Topaz Shock
    Hope Evo pro 4 hubs- Purple
    Light Bicycle Carbon rims EN928
    Shimano Saint Brakes w/180 Rotors Front and Back
    Shimano M9000 XTR shifter, M8000 XT cassette and XT derailer
    ONEUP 47 tooth for a 11-47 11sp setup
    Race Face Next cranks with RF Atlas pedals
    RF SixC bars, Turbine R stem, RF grips, seat, Turbine seat post lever
    Pacific Northwest Components Bachelor 150 Seatpost
    Maxxix Minion DHR2 / DHF tires

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1158.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	1126554

I don't understand how that is over 30lb. I would have guessed 28...

Dude, got any schwag?
    Quote Originally Posted by richt2000 View Post
    I don't understand how that is over 30lb. I would have guessed 28...
    The DVO Diamond is heavier than the 34, the dropper is one of the heaviest on the market, and DH tires. I bet it absolutely SHREDS though!

connisseur
    My frame should arrive at the shop this week hoping to pick the bike up next week, of course winter decided to show up at the same time

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Have had mine for just over two months now so a good time for some reflection, especially as last weekend I gave it a real thrashing at Derby, where the next EWS round is being held in just over a week. It cemented my initial impressions that the Primer is a pretty much a nailed on perfect trail bike. Climbs beautifully without requiring locking out of the shock, handles tight twisty switchbacks both climbing and descending with no wandering, and with the 140 fork it eats up rock gardens, medium size drop offs and reasonable jumps with no fuss. The only minor gripes I have are the downtube flak guard, which for the price of the frame is pitifully inadequate, and has peeled off (Sam has been contacted), and the internal cable guide grommets, which have a tendency to work loose resulting in the dreaded rattle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Get yourself the trek session downtube guard. It's not perfect, but it's the best thing you can have right now...until Rockguardz get a primer to their workshop and build a proper carbon guard....you can fix the cable ports with some small zip ties around the hose

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    That is the first time I have heard about the cables (anyone else?) but curious how the small zip ties will work?

Completely agree that flack guard is really poor. Has anyone had experience with the replacements from Intense?.. I spoke to distributed in UK and they have the new ones, but haven't been able to show me example yet. I also spoke with the guys at Rockguardz and they said they will make mould if I can get a frame to them (now all I have to do is get my Bronson sold to fund the new purchase! :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Got my primer built up. Ended up 26.7 without pedals.

New Intense Primer 29er!-1971af2c-4ea1-4e27-bf38-d19f3cd267ce-16772-0000142a261f4448.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Completely agree that flack guard is really poor. Has anyone had experience with the replacements from Intense?
    I'll let you know when mine arrives, Sam is sending one through. I don't think the material is any different though, from what he intimated I think they've just changed the adhesive. The triple layer of helicopter tape on I've applied to the downtube should provide reasonable protection!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rangersac View Post
    I'll let you know when mine arrives, Sam is sending one through. I don't think the material is any different though, from what he intimated I think they've just changed the adhesive. The triple layer of helicopter tape on I've applied to the downtube should provide reasonable protection!
    Correct - i have the replacement under carraige guard - it is the same just with better adhesive.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I wonder if a Fox DHX2 would fit in the 7.875x2.25" version? I think due to it being a coil shock, it will have more clearance than the X2 with the big air can.

SISSIF
    After trying a number of shocks, the limit on outer diameter (can or coil) is about 50mm for frame clearance in the 200x57 shocks - YMMV. Thinking a CC Inline in stock setup would be a good match.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    7 / 8 rides in on mine
    build is factory ish. Next SL cranks, renthal bar and stem, but I have 140mm Pikes, hope 10 - 44 cassette, xtr shifter, xt mech, guide rsc brakes, and stans arch on hope wheels - couldn't bring myself to spend £1600 ish on carbon wheels for 300 / 400g weight saving - so actually, a fair bit different. Weight is just over 27lbs without pedals (large) - factory build one I demoed was a bit over 26 so not sure where 25 lb claims come from. Frame was about 6.1 lbs inc shock w/out axle

previous bike was similar sort of thing - 110mm travel Pyga 29'er with 140mm fork, but being allow was 2 1/2 lbs or so heavier. Primer is a bit slacker, bit longer, slightly lower b/b, marginally higher stack, 20mm longer wheelbase. Pyga is Patrick Morewood's new venture so he know's a thing or 2 about bikes

so riding - well it's a bike. I don't subscribe to this - "I'm so much faster everywhere" type of comments - you still have to pedal it. However, first time out on it I was knackered and hung-over and not really in the right frame of mind. So I was pretty amazed that I cleared all those techie climbs on my local loop that I occasionally made but usually didn't. So there seems to be some magic in the suspension design to give fantastic traction

I was a bit concerned about the longer wheel base and slacker head angle around switch backs. Needn't have been, seems to go round everything no problem

descending. Hard to compare. It's certainly lively - seem to be getting more air over humps in the trail. Not a strava-ite but did log in last night and seem to have set a good few pb's

going along - just feels nice smooth and efficient

friend hopped on it from his 650b Whyte. 10 seconds later there was a loud shriek....... "bloody hell it's lively, tried to pop a little wheelie and nearly came off the back...."

so yup I'm happy

and it I could get the photo upload to work I'd be happier!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Was the factory you rode the ones with 11sp xx1? The first demos are 11sp. Doing the math from their build to my build (both mediums) I can see it being mid 25lbs like I saw.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    yes the one I tried was 11 speed

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The Pike is a little heavier than the Fox Factory fork and depending on the rear shock the fox is going to be lighter. Also those DT swiss carbon wheelsets are like feathers.

connisseur
    Gonna get built and picking her up this wkd oh yeah!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Intense Primer 29er!-img_20170405_113225316.jpg  

connisseur
    DT/Derby wheels
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Intense Primer 29er!-img_20170405_113349938.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
    DT/Derby wheels
    I bet your pumped right now! those are going to be great wheels, light and strong for sure.

So I just got back from NC. My wife had enough of this arctic weather we've been having here in NH(over three feet of snow in the last two weeks) so she and one of my ole buddies surprised me with a sudden booking of a rental house nestled right on the border of DuPont forest. After driving 17 hours through a snow storm and not sleeping for over 40 hours the three of us arrived in sunny Transylvania county.

My friend had just bought a new bike, no not a Spyder like I was trying to talk him into one. He wanted a shorter travel trail bike that was fun to jump around on trail features. He headed up ordering a 130 travel Whyte(that was orange, he got sick pretty fast of us saying "but it's not white") he had the bike shipped there and built it up aright after we arrived.

The primer seemed to be the weapon of choice for the flowy trails of DuPont. A lot of the faster guys we rode with had short travel XC bike with lockouts on the shocks, and light weight rubber. I had my primer set up 140 front and 130 rear and my stock set up tires minions dhf/dhr which a few people asked why I ran that beefy of a set up.

Going from off the couch to riding with guys that don't have a off season is hard for sure! The first day or two (over 25 mile rides, with 3,000 of vert per day) had me cramping and on verge puking. The primer saved me for sure. There's no way I could have done some of those earlier rides if I wasn't on such an efficient bike. I never felt I need to lock out the rear shock. On some of the more flows trails like ridgeline, rocky ridge, hooker creek, I felt I could stay glued to the rider in front of me, and a lot of times I had to slow down for them. The bike pumps, jumps and corners so well. Definitely one of the best bikes I've every had of any wheel size or travel, it's just fast and fun. Surprisingly when the trail got ruffer I really felt I had even more of an advantage over the other riders even ones with 6" trail bikes and plus bikes. The primer would just not slow down like the other riders on their bikes. It's funny as the trail got ruffer on the down hill that's where my wife would catch up to the group(she was on her recluse)

As good as the primer was in DuPont, it really shined in Pisgah. There was some long washed out fire roads. I saw others flip there shocked from locked out to open as their rear tires searched for traction. Again I felt I was faster and very efficient leaving the shock in full plush. Again the bike was great on the downhill, the chuckier the better. Some of down hills went from fast buff turns to fun washouts with 3-4' drops into chunder. I felt I could rest on the down hills even though we we've moving at a good clip. Only once or twice did I have the feeling that I wished I'd had more travel, a four foot drop to flat was a little teeth rattling but it would have probably not been that much smoother on a longer travel bike. I did wish I had the X2 for some of the longer down hills in Pisgah. I could feel the shock packing up a bit. But the way travel ramps up, it hid the the fact I was on a light weight shock.

I was very happy with primer as was my wife on her recluse. We definitely wouldn't have chosen a different bike for the task of riding those trails. If you've never been to the area it definitely worth the trip. There's great trails from flowy Xc to nasty DH and every thing in between. It's very pretty there. Great beer! Good food. There's pretty good bike shops, but get ready to pay a premium for any parts and services. I guess it's no worse that going to a place like whistler .

The snow is starting to melt here in New England so hopefully we can get our riding season off

connisseur
    Would LOVE to ride there need to make it happen soon. We've had 30" snow in the last 2 weeks after a very dry mild winter. Thing is it's wet spring snow and this is Colorado, we get plenty of sunshine this time of year and it's melting off fast, ground sucked it right up. So probably have hero dirt next week just in time for new bike!

I'm going with DHF/Aggressor combo, Pike 140 and will swap out to Monarch plus shock I have. I usually go with a bit more travel up front but decided to try a "balanced" setup this time so 140 front/rear. Also trying out 1x for the first time with an Eagle drivetrain. This will be the nicest bike I've owned
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Intense Primer 29er!-img_20170407_133414736.jpg  

Last edited by Tickle; 04-08-2017 at 09:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    So it looks like my Bronson is sold, and that puts me in for new bike with primer still top of the list (top 3 out of 100)

Primer (60)
    Hightower (25) chip flipped to 27+ mode to steepen on general trail riding
    Jeffsy (15)

I salvaged the next SL crank from Bronson and planned to recycle onto next bike along side shimano xt groupset, but now see I have limited optoin on BB comparability with 30mm spindle on the Primer and the last thing I want is the dreaded creek!... any suggestions or alternative/comparable crank or reliable bb solution for wet UK riding?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So it looks like my Bronson is sold, and that puts me in for new bike with primer still top of the list (top 3 out of 100)

Primer (60)
    Hightower (25) chip flipped to 27+ mode to steepen on general trail riding
    Jeffsy (15)

I salvaged the next SL crank from Bronson and planned to recycle onto next bike along side shimano xt groupset, but now see I have limited optoin on BB comparability with 30mm spindle on the Primer and the last thing I want is the dreaded creek!... any suggestions or alternative/comparable crank or reliable bb solution for wet UK riding?
    I have a hope BB with raceface next SL cranks (in the UK) rode it through the winter slop and its been bullet proof.

Personally I would put your ratings as

Primer (55)
    Jeffsy (40)
    Hightower (5)

The Jeffsy is an amazing bike and unbeatable for the money. To be honest I like both equally, but the Primer is just a bit quicker on the ups and looks more bling

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Interesting... out of curiosity, are the you the proud owner of a Jeffsy or a primer and how much time did you get to spend on both? (and the HT for that matter)

I agree, it's hard to ignore the value on the Jeffsy and although not been able to demo, all the reviews appear to be positive. I was looking at the CF pro race but nothing available until the summer in XL.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I had a jeffsy from end of April 16 to Feb 17 and a Primer from Nov 16 to now, so an overlap of a few months. I ride 2-3 times a week, so a lot of time on both now.

The intention was to sell the jeffsy sooner, but its tough selling bikes around xmas time and I kept putting it off!

The primer is a better fit for me. A Large primer feels inbetween a L and XL jeffsy, and I was bang inbetween sizes.

both are amazing bikes.... Didn't fancy fhe hightower - actual seat angle is too slack for my long legs and after having a Tallboy LTC a few years ago fancied a change from SC

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Great info richt, thanks

mtbr member
    I had a jeffsy from end of April 16 to Feb 17 and a Primer from Nov 16 to now, so an overlap of a few months. I ride 2-3 times a week, so a lot of time on both now.

The intention was to sell the jeffsy sooner, but its tough selling bikes around xmas time and I kept putting it off!

The primer is a better fit for me. A Large primer feels inbetween a L and XL jeffsy, and I was bang inbetween sizes.

both are amazing bikes.... Didn't fancy fhe hightower - actual seat angle is too slack for my long legs and after having a Tallboy LTC a few years ago fancied a change from SC

Wouldn't a slacker seat angle be beneficial for long legs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    No - far from it.
    When the pedals are at 3 9 oclock you knee cap should be directly over the axle of the pedal.

With un-proportionally long legs and a slack seat angle, when you ramp up the seat tube you end up over the cassette so climbing is more difficult, front end wanders, and you put un necesary stress on your knees. Also you end up with lower back pain because as you have moved far back on your saddle, the bars have moved further away.

If you have a steep seat angle, your body moves up more, knees stay in correcr location, bars don't disappear into thr sunset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I was speaking with the guys at Rockguardz to see if if they can make a mould for the Primer. Maybe a silly questions, but I was wondering if frame size is a consideration with the shape of the down tube?

It would also look as though the Primer and the ACV would be the same for rockguardz? (I realise the rear triangle is diff and there is no font mech hanger on the ACV but the down tube looks to be same in shape)

Would there be interest if they made somthing available? (I noticed some interest earlier in forum)

connisseur
    No - far from it.
    When the pedals are at 3 9 oclock you knee cap should be directly over the axle of the pedal.

With un-proportionally long legs and a slack seat angle, when you ramp up the seat tube you end up over the cassette so climbing is more difficult, front end wanders, and you put un necesary stress on your knees. Also you end up with lower back pain because as you have moved far back on your saddle, the bars have moved further away.

If you have a steep seat angle, your body moves up more, knees stay in correcr location, bars don't disappear into thr sunset.
    This is what I noticed most after my first ride, the steep seat angle really puts you in a good position for pedaling and climbing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Is there any difference in front wheel traction when climbing with 140 vs 150mm fork?

I am waiting for the frame to arrive, but already have a 150 fork and would like to know if i should go down to 140 or not. I would like the bike to be capable climber and of course great on descents.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I'd definitely buy one for a large frame

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Would there be interest if they made somthing available? (I noticed some interest earlier in forum)
    Definitely. For me the lack of decent armouring is the biggest shortcoming of the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfoga View Post
    Anyone replace the rear axle? It's nice it's out of the way but it would be a nightmare for trailside fixes.
    I asked this same question a couple months back. 202 looks but not a single reply.

I try to get a DT RWS x12 boost. It's listed on the DT HP but there's no shop that has it listed.
    This is the one Sam at Intense suggested as well but like you, I can't find it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mfoga View Post
    Thanks yeah no luck. I am considering this

https://robertaxleproject.com/shop/l...-x-1-0-thread/

I dont mind using a tool, but two sizes and two parts that could get lost trailside is not optimal.
    I agree and me too...I had never heard of it until I saw the banner on MTBR just this week. I will definitely be getting one before I do any destination trips with this bike. This design is so silly compared to every other bike I'ver owned
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

mtbr member
    Well, looks like I'm joining the Primer club! Never owned an Intense before but I'm looking forward to getting my frame and building it up.

Will be using most of the parts from my Canfield Riot but will need a new wheelset (Riot is 142x12 rear end). So my hardtail got donated some nice carbon hoops!

Hoping for a nice light, balanced trail bike. Will update with pictures and thoughts compared to my last few similar bikes (Riot, Following) when it all comes together!

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I'm in finale Ligure right now. All the intense bikes have a ghetto downtube guard made of an old tire. I'd never ride something super light or expensive in this area again because it just eats up bikes and components. This is bikers heaven and bikes hell!

connisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by dvd31 View Post
    Is there any difference in front wheel traction when climbing with 140 vs 150mm fork?

I am waiting for the frame to arrive, but already have a 150 fork and would like to know if i should go down to 140 or not. I would like the bike to be capable climber and of course great on descents.

Thanks!
    I was in the same boat had a Pike 150 I used and decided to change travel to 140. So far glad I did, the bike feels balanced the front end is still slack and 140 is enough travel for this bike really. 150 would work too tho, doubt it would affect climbing much, the extra 10mm is not gonna make much diff so for me it was about overall feel of the bike I guess.

SISSIF
    Started with the MRP stage at 150, was very impressed at how well the front end stayed planted even with steep slick rock climbs in Moab. With the steep STA was able to stay in the saddle more than expected with the longer fork.
    Now running 140 with the MRP Ribbon as more of an XC/Trail set-up. Definitely wanted a fork that could convert easily 130-150 for max versatility. After spring endurance races(may try 135) the fork will be going back to 150(along with 57mm stroke Shock) for the bigger Alpine rides of summer.
    Big Wheels and Fat Skis keep me young.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanary View Post
    Started with the MRP stage at 150, was very impressed at how well the front end stayed planted even with steep slick rock climbs in Moab. With the steep STA was able to stay in the saddle more than expected with the longer fork.
    Now running 140 with the MRP Ribbon as more of an XC/Trail set-up. Definitely wanted a fork that could convert easily 130-150 for max versatility. After spring endurance races(may try 135) the fork will be going back to 150(along with 57mm stroke Shock) for the bigger Alpine rides of summer.
    (Worth mentioning that a 150 stage has the same axle to crown measurement as a 140 pike)

SISSIF
    Not the same, but less than the 10mm difference in travel. Ribbon is about the same AtoC as the Pike. Thinking the steep STA trumps the different fork lengths within the 130-150 travel. Very versatile bike with a broad spectrum of setup options.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    ciao ragazzi! after coming back from finale ligure (and destroying my equipment there) i finally built up my primer. i swapped the standard shock for a x2 shock and noticed a little play between the shock bushings and the lower mounting bolt. i didnt have the time to sort out what exactly causes the play, but maybe somebody had the same problem. its the frameset with ti bolts. i used the bushings from the standard shock and transferred them to the x2. by the way.... can anybody running a x2 as well give me some setup advise. my weight is 85kg. right now i run the shock with 185psi, 3 spacer rings and compression fully open. my sag is 33-35% seated and about 25% in neutral position standing. it feels acceptable ok right now, but some improvements can be made. messing around with the volume reducers is always a bit of work, so maybe someone can give me some advice which direction is the right.... right now the rear is not too sensitive and bottoms out (not harsh) on hard parking lot bottoming tests. in my opinion the best way to setup your suspension is to use the lowest compression damping possible and work with spring rate and progression, hsr damping as much as possible to make it super controlled after big hits, lsr damping a bit faster to make it sensitive and add some extra grip, without getting a nervous rear. i always had super nice suspension with these setups on my sc tallboy ltc, spesh enduro 650b (both ccdb air cs) and my pole evolink 140 (monarch plus debonair tune h/l, the only debonair i like!!!).
    A: remove 1-2 rings and get some psi in => beginning stroke might get even less sensitive but more midstroke support, maybe add some hsc damping
    B: get some psi out and add some hsc damping => might ride too much into sag
    C: get some psi out and add more volume spacer rings and maybe some hsc damping => might lead to harshness on bigger and repeated impacts (rockgarden or roots)

what do you think?

connisseur
    That's odd on the bushings I did the same thing transfered eyelet hardware from stock shock to a Monarch plus debonair no issues. Mine is fairly progressive and I can get 30-35% sag and still don't have any issues with bottoming at least so far. I would say option C makes sense if it's bottoming too easily tho

I'm still playing with settings myself, I like to run less fork sag maybe 20% cause it improves ride height and reduces fork dive, thing is I'm trying to figure out shock sag to match. I've read 35% is common for VPP susp as it's a fairly progressive design correct? Just don't want the front end to overwhelm the rear susp and want a balanced feel so I'm thinking 30% sag. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    The big question is how to set sag....seated or standing in neutral position. For 30-35 percent standing the shock has to be really progressive to not bottom out harsh all the time. I'm not a flyweight and like to charge or tend to do stupid things. But I think the traction would really improve with a bit less pressure... The difference in sag standing or sitting is huge with those short rear ends. On my pole the difference is less than 5 percent. while in finale I noticed that running a firmer spring rate makes riding rough terrain much better. You feel safer and the hands fatigue is not as bad as with softer setup. I think it's because the suspension works more in the good travel right in the middle than in the super progressive party at the end of the travel. But it hurts anyway😂

connisseur
    I just do it seated with compression open, need to do more rides tho to figure it out heading out now!

29lbs even
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Intense Primer 29er!-img_0130.jpg  

Last edited by Tickle; 04-18-2017 at 04:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Intense is recommending 20% in the rear while sitting. I think you should not stick to the 30% "Vpp rule". At least I would recommend to play through the complete range of sag settings. I usually prefer firmer settings as long as the rear is not bouncing.

SISSIF
    Yeah, the manual made no sense, I assume they have fork and shock setup reversed. With the regressive early leverage curve there's plenty of support for pedaling at normal sag.
    20% rear sag would be less efficient on many trails being too stiff/harsh and losing traction.
    25-30% sitting sag on most forks would be too soft.
    Happy with 25% attack sag rear, playing with volume spacers for mid to end support. Don't really look at fork sag, usually start around recommended psi and adjust based on feel, travel used and balance front to rear.

connisseur
    By attack sag you mean standing? I guess seated would be higher then?? Yeah the susp and ST angle make for efficient pedaling seems 35% range makes sense that's where I'm at now.

SISSIF
    Yep, standing. I seem to be able to get more reproducible numbers standing than sitting. Usually correlates to around 30% sitting. 35% sounds plush, great as long as it works for your riding.

connisseur
    Bike is super plush with compression open on both ends, but in the middle setting it feels right not overly plush. I'm probably closer to 30% sag getting an accurate reading is not easy like you say.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    seems like 25% sag standing, 3 volume spacers, nearly open compression damping and loads of rebound damping are the magic numbers for the primer and fox x2. the feel is not satisfying on the standard parking lot test, but when it comes to some serious abuse the performance of the rear is pretty impressive. i overforked the primer with the 160mm airshaft as well to get it a bit slacker and calmer on steep stuff, but the negative effects on the geometry (reach gets shorter, bb gets higher) are not worth it. i cant understand how the fast guys like graves, keene and rude can trade a bit slacker ha for these negative effects.

SISSIF

Primer XC

XC/Trail Tuned.

New Intense Primer 29er!-image.jpg

Already know how fun the Primer is set-up for AM at Moab. Trying the other end of the spectrum - Trail Rocket!
    Have the Long-Stroke old Fox CTD dialed in with the Vorsprung Corset, Large spacer Positive, 33% volume reduction Negative, currently in the short travel position for about 127mm rear travel.
    Went with the Boost Ribbon fork up front, set to 135mm. Once I settled on the fork(axle width), got the matching NOX Teo for the front and put on some pinner rubber.
    #27.2 with pedals, without bag and water bottle.

mtbr member
    Hi Guys,

So my Primer frame has arrived and I had a question for those of you who have removed their rear shock to swap out for something else.

I removed the shock so I could measure something for someone and cycled the rear triangle through its travel. Now there is a point about 20% in that is like a notch that the rear triangle will just sit in until I push it through this point. Is this normal? Or am I experiencing a bearing issue? It feels smooth on either side of this notch. I loosened all the easy to get to pivot bolts and its still the same and it doesn't feel like a normal rumbling bearing. Any info from those guys who've had the shock out and cycled the suspension would be great, cheers!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I always do sag in position I am most concerned about. A crazy XC bike I would do sitting as that is where I will be the most. Any other bike I do in the attack position as that what I will be most concerned with. I know a prefer a stiffer setup but I have pretty close to 25% front and rear. I like a setup that will only bottom out on the worst hits, I would say an average trail ride I would use around 75% of travel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by slider_phil View Post
    Hi Guys,

So my Primer frame has arrived and I had a question for those of you who have removed their rear shock to swap out for something else.

I removed the shock so I could measure something for someone and cycled the rear triangle through its travel. Now there is a point about 20% in that is like a notch that the rear triangle will just sit in until I push it through this point. Is this normal? Or am I experiencing a bearing issue? It feels smooth on either side of this notch. I loosened all the easy to get to pivot bolts and its still the same and it doesn't feel like a normal rumbling bearing. Any info from those guys who've had the shock out and cycled the suspension would be great, cheers!
    That does NOT happen with mine

mtbr member
    That does NOT happen with mine
    Ok, I'll pull it apart further and inspect. What a shame, just striped my Riot to start moving over components too 😔

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Just shred her hard! I'm sure after that it'll be fine after a proper abuse.

mtbr member
    Alright, so I downloaded the users manual and I was only taking out the adjuster cones. Once I removed these and used an 8mm to undo the front lower link axle the whole assembly freed up. Have stripped it all back and will re-grease all the bearings and re-assemble to the manuals specifications. I'm guessing greasing the lower link might've done the trick.
    Last edited by slider_phil; 04-26-2017 at 06:15 AM.

connisseur
    I bet if I did the standing technique it would be 25% front/rear, I think I have the susp VERY close to what I want now. I like a firm setup usually as well but one thing I noticed is the bike feels better with the compression open just floats over the chunk, even climbing. The bike pedals really well no sag or wallow when you lay down the power.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So, I'm going to try either a new Cane creek IL or a X2

Is the X2 worth it over cane creek inline for double the cost and 50% more weight?

SISSIF
    If the X2 fit with the 57mm stroke, I'd say definitely. But it doesn't.
    If I had to pick now, based on trying and tuning a few air shocks on the Primer, for a more aggressive setup, I'd try the Inline Coil.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Got my replacement guard on sat. Hope the adhesive issue is sorted out
    Is the replacement guard better than the original one? I received the frame today and the guard fell off just by looking at it no idea how they could put something like this on a bike so expensive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    It sticks better but doesn't offer more protection

mtbr member
    Someone mentioned earlier about getting a carbon one made. If you're still around trying to organise numbers, I'm down.

Replaced the vpp bearings today as they where the cause of my notchiness. Also have a DB inline IL coming for the frame before I build it up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Someone mentioned earlier about getting a carbon one made. If you're still around trying to organise numbers, I'm down.

Replaced the vpp bearings today as they where the cause of my notchiness. Also have a DB inline IL coming for the frame before I build it up.

I'm guessing the DB inline IL will improve the bottomless feel of the Primer in the same way the inline really improved my old spider 29C

I've decided to move from Fox 34 Factory and Fox EVOL factory 57mm shock to a Pike 140 RCT3 and DB inline IL. It'll hopefully make it a bit more capable....

IL has been delivered. Pikes are in the post :-)

mtbr member
    Nice! I'm putting the Pike off my Riot into the Primer (140mm) and installing a Luftkappe at the same time. The Primer arrived with a DVO Topaz installed but I want to run a bottle in the frame so I pulled the trigger on the DB inline straight away. Just waiting on some new wheels to rock up in the mail before it gets its maiden ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I also replaced the Fox DPS with Cane Creek DB Air IL 200x50. Didn't get the chance to try it out yet.

With DB Air shock you can fit a big 24oz bottle without problem.

Attachment 1134080

Attachment 1134081

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Was that someone me or are others looking to do something too?

Don't want to double up on effort (or £) but if no one else is looking at it, I was making arrangement for the XL frame Soho bikes have for me posted to the guys at Rockguardz to take a mould. The guys at Rockguardz have said they are real busy at the moment and short staffed, but will get something made up when time permits (I will make sure they are aware there is a few interested)

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I came up first with the idea but they need a frame to make the mould....I'm from Germany so it's a bit difficult to get my size large frame there... The guys at Rockguardz offered me a free protector if I give them my frame for making the mould...

connisseur
    Pike 140 feels really good on bike, I added one token(2 total) and lowered 5psi and got full travel on ride yesterday, fork is dialed now.

Not getting full travel on rear yet tho, has anyone used all the travel on a 57mm stroke shock in longer travel setting? I was about 5mm away yesterday so was thinking with fork getting full travel might need to come down on psi on shock, but it feels right otherwise.

I'm assuming you guys wanting to fit a large bottle is because your not using a pack? I can fit a 16oz bottle with Monarch plus shock but I still use a pack

mtbr member
    I only use a pack for big days. So yeah, I really want to use a bottle in the main triangle. Something I sorely missed on my Riot. Unfortunately my size M frame with a DVO Topaz had no room to fit a bottle even with a side load cage. Tried a Vincero Designs setup, which is a magnet based holder and it had no room either. I'm guessing a size L might work with smaller bottles. I've currently got a Monarch Plus on my Riot frame, so maybe I'll slot that in just to see if I can get a bottle to work, but I've got a CC Inline on the way anyway so...

mtbr member
    Looking forward to hearing all the reports back on the updated DB Inline. I love mine on my Pivot Mach 6. I've had a couple issues like most others but Cane Creek has always taken care of me free of charge, even overnighting me a shock one of the times.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

connisseur
    I only use a pack for big days. So yeah, I really want to use a bottle in the main triangle. Something I sorely missed on my Riot. Unfortunately my size M frame with a DVO Topaz had no room to fit a bottle even with a side load cage. Tried a Vincero Designs setup, which is a magnet based holder and it had no room either. I'm guessing a size L might work with smaller bottles. I've currently got a Monarch Plus on my Riot frame, so maybe I'll slot that in just to see if I can get a bottle to work, but I've got a CC Inline on the way anyway so...
    The no pack trend is interesting I can remember back in the day riding with bottles, saddle bag and sh!t stuffed in jersey. There used to be a hydration bag that would strap to top tube and tube would run wherever, plenty of room on top of top tube to run something I bet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    It sticks better but doesn't offer more protection
    Yep, that's my experience. It might stick better but is still a flimsy bit of soft rubber.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I'll post some pics of my bike later. Got the trek session guard on my downtube. Not a beauty, but it works. sometimes I just need to remember that it's a trailbike after all when charging into rough and steep stuff (coming from the pole 140 evolink).

mtbr member
    Picture of the frame. DVO shock is now sold and am awaiting the CC Inline IL to arrive!

Other than a new set of wheels (Zelvy Carbon on I9 hubs), its going to get everything off my Riot. The gist of it is XTR 1x, Next SL cranks, Hope brakes, Transfer dropper, Chromag cockpit and Pike fork. Can't wait to get it all dialed!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thought i would add some info on the old style inline that i'm currently in the process of setting up. running about 14-15mm sag, roughly 30%. have about 4 rides on it so far, running 0 lsc, kind of wish it could go a click or 2 lower. lsr is at 5 turns out, this is the point where the bike becomes more active, 6 out was was nice for climbing, but i will take the trade off for the better overall feel. tired with and without spacers, no doubt feels better with 1 large blue spacer, especially on the bigger hits.

mtbr member
    Just curious as to where folks are getting Primer frames as I only seem to be able to find completes online.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus1029 View Post
    thought i would add some info on the old style inline that i'm currently in the process of setting up. running about 14-15mm sag, roughly 30%. have about 4 rides on it so far, running 0 lsc, kind of wish it could go a click or 2 lower. lsr is at 5 turns out, this is the point where the bike becomes more active, 6 out was was nice for climbing, but i will take the trade off for the better overall feel. tired with and without spacers, no doubt feels better with 1 large blue spacer, especially on the bigger hits.
    Thanks for sharing. About to put mine DB il on this week (been on the big bike all weekend)

I had a CC inline on my Spider 29C and the blue spacer made a massive difference (for the better). VPP suspension designs seem to need that extra bit of pop!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Just got my Primer back after its first tune-up. I was riding my 2014 Trek Remedy for a week, which isn't a bad backup bike. Still, it was so nice being back on my Primer. Seems a lot of guys are going big upfront with their Primers, but I'm running the Fox Factory 130mm fork and love it. Rides like an XC bike when I want it to, but can also take on anything that I do on my Remedy. So much fun!!!!
    New Intense Primer 29er!-myprimer.jpg

mtbr member
    Good info on the Inline setup! I notice there's a base tune on CC's website for the original inline but nothing for the new IL. Guess it'll be a good starting point and build off that. Might have to organise some volume spacers to try by the sounds of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Going back and forth between the Primer and Jet 9 RDO and 429T. I live in Arizona and ride Phoenix. Sedona and Flagstaff. Travel to Moab and Southern Utah. Looking for a bike that can handle porcupine rim one weekend. And do an endurance race the next weekend c.

SISSIF
    I'd say the Primer is easier to set-up and push into the Trail/AM range than those bikes. Nice to have the rear travel adjustment, able to run forks from 130-150, depending on the mission. Primer did great in Moab and Sedona, now have it set-up for May endurance XC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    Just curious as to where folks are getting Primer frames as I only seem to be able to find completes online.
    I got the frame from a German shop, they also sell other Intense frames. The price was also very very nice

connisseur
    That double water bottle mount looks cool wonder if they would get in way of cranks on our bikes? Looks like a shock's piggy back res might go right in between the bottles?

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/05/01...tek-frame-bag/

mtbr member
    The primer continues to impress! It's rained 9 out of the last 12 days. The ground is not totally soft with some muddy spots but not bad at all considering how much rain we have received, but any rock or root is like grease on ice! Slick doesn't describe how slippery every thing has been. I tried but couldn't get anyone to ride with me. I fell twice, while I was walking on the trail so I was very surprised that I was able to keep the bike upright the whole time even with the tires even being over inflated. I kept pushing the speed in the corners and even when I'd start to slide out on a root or rock I tires would eventually hook up. I guess I was lucky. Climbing traction was unworldly, even riding out of the saddle up a steep grade covered in green slime. I was shocked again at how well this bike climbs. I'm a firm believer in the wide rims, they help the season old minions front and rear to hook up. The bike really makes me really want to push it till I find my limits in ability. Every time I ride the primer I just can't wait to ride it again. My down tube "rock protector" has finally come off. I do hope they sort this out with some hard plastic cover. I was thinking about making up a mold and ordering some carbon. I've got some cool epoxies and resins I could use. New Intense Primer 29er!-img_6725.jpg
    New Intense Primer 29er!-img_6726.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My frame is being shipped to Rockguardz this week so they can take a mould.. hopefully they will have a carbon guard available in the not too distant future (I think this may also double up for the ACV as the downtube appears to be the same shape)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey Phil

How did you get the UD frame with a Topaz instead of an SL with a Fox evol? Im pretty set on a Primer. But Im torn on waiting to see when they throw the new pike\fox 34 or if I should build something up myself? I like the black and silver over the Orange and silver personally.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    If anyone is looking for a Medium Primer, I have two for sale:

New Intense Primer 29er!-img_3360.jpgNew Intense Primer 29er!-img_4800.jpg

Message me if you're interested.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast