Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanary View Post
    Started with the MRP stage at 150, was very impressed at how well the front end stayed planted even with steep slick rock climbs in Moab. With the steep STA was able to stay in the saddle more than expected with the longer fork.
    Now running 140 with the MRP Ribbon as more of an XC/Trail set-up. Definitely wanted a fork that could convert easily 130-150 for max versatility. After spring endurance races(may try 135) the fork will be going back to 150(along with 57mm stroke Shock) for the bigger Alpine rides of summer.
    (Worth mentioning that a 150 stage has the same axle to crown measurement as a 140 pike)

Long Travel Lover
    Not the same, but less than the 10mm difference in travel. Ribbon is about the same AtoC as the Pike. Thinking the steep STA trumps the different fork lengths within the 130-150 travel. Very versatile bike with a broad spectrum of setup options.
    Big Wheels and Fat Skis keep me young.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    ciao ragazzi! after coming back from finale ligure (and destroying my equipment there) i finally built up my primer. i swapped the standard shock for a x2 shock and noticed a little play between the shock bushings and the lower mounting bolt. i didnt have the time to sort out what exactly causes the play, but maybe somebody had the same problem. its the frameset with ti bolts. i used the bushings from the standard shock and transferred them to the x2. by the way.... can anybody running a x2 as well give me some setup advise. my weight is 85kg. right now i run the shock with 185psi, 3 spacer rings and compression fully open. my sag is 33-35% seated and about 25% in neutral position standing. it feels acceptable ok right now, but some improvements can be made. messing around with the volume reducers is always a bit of work, so maybe someone can give me some advice which direction is the right.... right now the rear is not too sensitive and bottoms out (not harsh) on hard parking lot bottoming tests. in my opinion the best way to setup your suspension is to use the lowest compression damping possible and work with spring rate and progression, hsr damping as much as possible to make it super controlled after big hits, lsr damping a bit faster to make it sensitive and add some extra grip, without getting a nervous rear. i always had super nice suspension with these setups on my sc tallboy ltc, spesh enduro 650b (both ccdb air cs) and my pole evolink 140 (monarch plus debonair tune h/l, the only debonair i like!!!).
    A: remove 1-2 rings and get some psi in => beginning stroke might get even less sensitive but more midstroke support, maybe add some hsc damping
    B: get some psi out and add some hsc damping => might ride too much into sag
    C: get some psi out and add more volume spacer rings and maybe some hsc damping => might lead to harshness on bigger and repeated impacts (rockgarden or roots)

what do you think?

connisseur
    That's odd on the bushings I did the same thing transfered eyelet hardware from stock shock to a Monarch plus debonair no issues. Mine is fairly progressive and I can get 30-35% sag and still don't have any issues with bottoming at least so far. I would say option C makes sense if it's bottoming too easily tho

I'm still playing with settings myself, I like to run less fork sag maybe 20% cause it improves ride height and reduces fork dive, thing is I'm trying to figure out shock sag to match. I've read 35% is common for VPP susp as it's a fairly progressive design correct? Just don't want the front end to overwhelm the rear susp and want a balanced feel so I'm thinking 30% sag. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    The big question is how to set sag....seated or standing in neutral position. For 30-35 percent standing the shock has to be really progressive to not bottom out harsh all the time. I'm not a flyweight and like to charge or tend to do stupid things. But I think the traction would really improve with a bit less pressure... The difference in sag standing or sitting is huge with those short rear ends. On my pole the difference is less than 5 percent. while in finale I noticed that running a firmer spring rate makes riding rough terrain much better. You feel safer and the hands fatigue is not as bad as with softer setup. I think it's because the suspension works more in the good travel right in the middle than in the super progressive party at the end of the travel. But it hurts anyway😂

connisseur
    I just do it seated with compression open, need to do more rides tho to figure it out heading out now!

29lbs even
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Intense Primer 29er!-img_0130.jpg  

Last edited by Tickle; 04-18-2017 at 04:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Intense is recommending 20% in the rear while sitting. I think you should not stick to the 30% "Vpp rule". At least I would recommend to play through the complete range of sag settings. I usually prefer firmer settings as long as the rear is not bouncing.

Long Travel Lover
    Yeah, the manual made no sense, I assume they have fork and shock setup reversed. With the regressive early leverage curve there's plenty of support for pedaling at normal sag.
    20% rear sag would be less efficient on many trails being too stiff/harsh and losing traction.
    25-30% sitting sag on most forks would be too soft.
    Happy with 25% attack sag rear, playing with volume spacers for mid to end support. Don't really look at fork sag, usually start around recommended psi and adjust based on feel, travel used and balance front to rear.

connisseur
    By attack sag you mean standing? I guess seated would be higher then?? Yeah the susp and ST angle make for efficient pedaling seems 35% range makes sense that's where I'm at now.

Long Travel Lover
    Yep, standing. I seem to be able to get more reproducible numbers standing than sitting. Usually correlates to around 30% sitting. 35% sounds plush, great as long as it works for your riding.

connisseur
    Bike is super plush with compression open on both ends, but in the middle setting it feels right not overly plush. I'm probably closer to 30% sag getting an accurate reading is not easy like you say.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    seems like 25% sag standing, 3 volume spacers, nearly open compression damping and loads of rebound damping are the magic numbers for the primer and fox x2. the feel is not satisfying on the standard parking lot test, but when it comes to some serious abuse the performance of the rear is pretty impressive. i overforked the primer with the 160mm airshaft as well to get it a bit slacker and calmer on steep stuff, but the negative effects on the geometry (reach gets shorter, bb gets higher) are not worth it. i cant understand how the fast guys like graves, keene and rude can trade a bit slacker ha for these negative effects.

Long Travel Lover

Primer XC

XC/Trail Tuned.

New Intense Primer 29er!-image.jpg

Already know how fun the Primer is set-up for AM at Moab. Trying the other end of the spectrum - Trail Rocket!
    Have the Long-Stroke old Fox CTD dialed in with the Vorsprung Corset, Large spacer Positive, 33% volume reduction Negative, currently in the short travel position for about 127mm rear travel.
    Went with the Boost Ribbon fork up front, set to 135mm. Once I settled on the fork(axle width), got the matching NOX Teo for the front and put on some pinner rubber.
    #27.2 with pedals, without bag and water bottle.

mtbr member
    Hi Guys,

So my Primer frame has arrived and I had a question for those of you who have removed their rear shock to swap out for something else.

I removed the shock so I could measure something for someone and cycled the rear triangle through its travel. Now there is a point about 20% in that is like a notch that the rear triangle will just sit in until I push it through this point. Is this normal? Or am I experiencing a bearing issue? It feels smooth on either side of this notch. I loosened all the easy to get to pivot bolts and its still the same and it doesn't feel like a normal rumbling bearing. Any info from those guys who've had the shock out and cycled the suspension would be great, cheers!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I always do sag in position I am most concerned about. A crazy XC bike I would do sitting as that is where I will be the most. Any other bike I do in the attack position as that what I will be most concerned with. I know a prefer a stiffer setup but I have pretty close to 25% front and rear. I like a setup that will only bottom out on the worst hits, I would say an average trail ride I would use around 75% of travel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by slider_phil View Post
    Hi Guys,

So my Primer frame has arrived and I had a question for those of you who have removed their rear shock to swap out for something else.

I removed the shock so I could measure something for someone and cycled the rear triangle through its travel. Now there is a point about 20% in that is like a notch that the rear triangle will just sit in until I push it through this point. Is this normal? Or am I experiencing a bearing issue? It feels smooth on either side of this notch. I loosened all the easy to get to pivot bolts and its still the same and it doesn't feel like a normal rumbling bearing. Any info from those guys who've had the shock out and cycled the suspension would be great, cheers!
    That does NOT happen with mine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richt2000 View Post
    That does NOT happen with mine
    Ok, I'll pull it apart further and inspect. What a shame, just striped my Riot to start moving over components too 😔

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Just shred her hard! I'm sure after that it'll be fine after a proper abuse.

mtbr member
    Alright, so I downloaded the users manual and I was only taking out the adjuster cones. Once I removed these and used an 8mm to undo the front lower link axle the whole assembly freed up. Have stripped it all back and will re-grease all the bearings and re-assemble to the manuals specifications. I'm guessing greasing the lower link might've done the trick.
    Last edited by slider_phil; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:15 AM.

connisseur
    I bet if I did the standing technique it would be 25% front/rear, I think I have the susp VERY close to what I want now. I like a firm setup usually as well but one thing I noticed is the bike feels better with the compression open just floats over the chunk, even climbing. The bike pedals really well no sag or wallow when you lay down the power.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So, I'm going to try either a new Cane creek IL or a X2

Is the X2 worth it over cane creek inline for double the cost and 50% more weight?

Long Travel Lover
    If the X2 fit with the 57mm stroke, I'd say definitely. But it doesn't.
    If I had to pick now, based on trying and tuning a few air shocks on the Primer, for a more aggressive setup, I'd try the Inline Coil.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Got my replacement guard on sat. Hope the adhesive issue is sorted out
    Is the replacement guard better than the original one? I received the frame today and the guard fell off just by looking at it no idea how they could put something like this on a bike so expensive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    It sticks better but doesn't offer more protection

mtbr member
    Someone mentioned earlier about getting a carbon one made. If you're still around trying to organise numbers, I'm down.

Replaced the vpp bearings today as they where the cause of my notchiness. Also have a DB inline IL coming for the frame before I build it up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Someone mentioned earlier about getting a carbon one made. If you're still around trying to organise numbers, I'm down.

Replaced the vpp bearings today as they where the cause of my notchiness. Also have a DB inline IL coming for the frame before I build it up.

I'm guessing the DB inline IL will improve the bottomless feel of the Primer in the same way the inline really improved my old spider 29C

I've decided to move from Fox 34 Factory and Fox EVOL factory 57mm shock to a Pike 140 RCT3 and DB inline IL. It'll hopefully make it a bit more capable....

IL has been delivered. Pikes are in the post :-)

mtbr member
    Nice! I'm putting the Pike off my Riot into the Primer (140mm) and installing a Luftkappe at the same time. The Primer arrived with a DVO Topaz installed but I want to run a bottle in the frame so I pulled the trigger on the DB inline straight away. Just waiting on some new wheels to rock up in the mail before it gets its maiden ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I also replaced the Fox DPS with Cane Creek DB Air IL 200x50. Didn't get the chance to try it out yet.

With DB Air shock you can fit a big 24oz bottle without problem.

Attachment 1134080

Attachment 1134081

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Was that someone me or are others looking to do something too?

Don't want to double up on effort (or £) but if no one else is looking at it, I was making arrangement for the XL frame Soho bikes have for me posted to the guys at Rockguardz to take a mould. The guys at Rockguardz have said they are real busy at the moment and short staffed, but will get something made up when time permits (I will make sure they are aware there is a few interested)

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I came up first with the idea but they need a frame to make the mould....I'm from Germany so it's a bit difficult to get my size large frame there... The guys at Rockguardz offered me a free protector if I give them my frame for making the mould...

connisseur
    Pike 140 feels really good on bike, I added one token(2 total) and lowered 5psi and got full travel on ride yesterday, fork is dialed now.

Not getting full travel on rear yet tho, has anyone used all the travel on a 57mm stroke shock in longer travel setting? I was about 5mm away yesterday so was thinking with fork getting full travel might need to come down on psi on shock, but it feels right otherwise.

I'm assuming you guys wanting to fit a large bottle is because your not using a pack? I can fit a 16oz bottle with Monarch plus shock but I still use a pack

mtbr member
    I only use a pack for big days. So yeah, I really want to use a bottle in the main triangle. Something I sorely missed on my Riot. Unfortunately my size M frame with a DVO Topaz had no room to fit a bottle even with a side load cage. Tried a Vincero Designs setup, which is a magnet based holder and it had no room either. I'm guessing a size L might work with smaller bottles. I've currently got a Monarch Plus on my Riot frame, so maybe I'll slot that in just to see if I can get a bottle to work, but I've got a CC Inline on the way anyway so...

mtbr member
    Looking forward to hearing all the reports back on the updated DB Inline. I love mine on my Pivot Mach 6. I've had a couple issues like most others but Cane Creek has always taken care of me free of charge, even overnighting me a shock one of the times.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2014 Pivot Mach 6
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

connisseur
    I only use a pack for big days. So yeah, I really want to use a bottle in the main triangle. Something I sorely missed on my Riot. Unfortunately my size M frame with a DVO Topaz had no room to fit a bottle even with a side load cage. Tried a Vincero Designs setup, which is a magnet based holder and it had no room either. I'm guessing a size L might work with smaller bottles. I've currently got a Monarch Plus on my Riot frame, so maybe I'll slot that in just to see if I can get a bottle to work, but I've got a CC Inline on the way anyway so...
    The no pack trend is interesting I can remember back in the day riding with bottles, saddle bag and sh!t stuffed in jersey. There used to be a hydration bag that would strap to top tube and tube would run wherever, plenty of room on top of top tube to run something I bet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Herrn View Post
    It sticks better but doesn't offer more protection
    Yep, that's my experience. It might stick better but is still a flimsy bit of soft rubber.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I'll post some pics of my bike later. Got the trek session guard on my downtube. Not a beauty, but it works. sometimes I just need to remember that it's a trailbike after all when charging into rough and steep stuff (coming from the pole 140 evolink).

mtbr member
    Picture of the frame. DVO shock is now sold and am awaiting the CC Inline IL to arrive!

Other than a new set of wheels (Zelvy Carbon on I9 hubs), its going to get everything off my Riot. The gist of it is XTR 1x, Next SL cranks, Hope brakes, Transfer dropper, Chromag cockpit and Pike fork. Can't wait to get it all dialed!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thought i would add some info on the old style inline that i'm currently in the process of setting up. running about 14-15mm sag, roughly 30%. have about 4 rides on it so far, running 0 lsc, kind of wish it could go a click or 2 lower. lsr is at 5 turns out, this is the point where the bike becomes more active, 6 out was was nice for climbing, but i will take the trade off for the better overall feel. tired with and without spacers, no doubt feels better with 1 large blue spacer, especially on the bigger hits.

mtbr member
    Just curious as to where folks are getting Primer frames as I only seem to be able to find completes online.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus1029 View Post
    thought i would add some info on the old style inline that i'm currently in the process of setting up. running about 14-15mm sag, roughly 30%. have about 4 rides on it so far, running 0 lsc, kind of wish it could go a click or 2 lower. lsr is at 5 turns out, this is the point where the bike becomes more active, 6 out was was nice for climbing, but i will take the trade off for the better overall feel. tired with and without spacers, no doubt feels better with 1 large blue spacer, especially on the bigger hits.
    Thanks for sharing. About to put mine DB il on this week (been on the big bike all weekend)

I had a CC inline on my Spider 29C and the blue spacer made a massive difference (for the better). VPP suspension designs seem to need that extra bit of pop!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Just got my Primer back after its first tune-up. I was riding my 2014 Trek Remedy for a week, which isn't a bad backup bike. Still, it was so nice being back on my Primer. Seems a lot of guys are going big upfront with their Primers, but I'm running the Fox Factory 130mm fork and love it. Rides like an XC bike when I want it to, but can also take on anything that I do on my Remedy. So much fun!!!!
    New Intense Primer 29er!-myprimer.jpg

mtbr member
    Good info on the Inline setup! I notice there's a base tune on CC's website for the original inline but nothing for the new IL. Guess it'll be a good starting point and build off that. Might have to organise some volume spacers to try by the sounds of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Going back and forth between the Primer and Jet 9 RDO and 429T. I live in Arizona and ride Phoenix. Sedona and Flagstaff. Travel to Moab and Southern Utah. Looking for a bike that can handle porcupine rim one weekend. And do an endurance race the next weekend c.

Long Travel Lover
    I'd say the Primer is easier to set-up and push into the Trail/AM range than those bikes. Nice to have the rear travel adjustment, able to run forks from 130-150, depending on the mission. Primer did great in Moab and Sedona, now have it set-up for May endurance XC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    Just curious as to where folks are getting Primer frames as I only seem to be able to find completes online.
    I got the frame from a German shop, they also sell other Intense frames. The price was also very very nice

connisseur
    That double water bottle mount looks cool wonder if they would get in way of cranks on our bikes? Looks like a shock's piggy back res might go right in between the bottles?

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/05/01...tek-frame-bag/

mtbr member
    The primer continues to impress! It's rained 9 out of the last 12 days. The ground is not totally soft with some muddy spots but not bad at all considering how much rain we have received, but any rock or root is like grease on ice! Slick doesn't describe how slippery every thing has been. I tried but couldn't get anyone to ride with me. I fell twice, while I was walking on the trail so I was very surprised that I was able to keep the bike upright the whole time even with the tires even being over inflated. I kept pushing the speed in the corners and even when I'd start to slide out on a root or rock I tires would eventually hook up. I guess I was lucky. Climbing traction was unworldly, even riding out of the saddle up a steep grade covered in green slime. I was shocked again at how well this bike climbs. I'm a firm believer in the wide rims, they help the season old minions front and rear to hook up. The bike really makes me really want to push it till I find my limits in ability. Every time I ride the primer I just can't wait to ride it again. My down tube "rock protector" has finally come off. I do hope they sort this out with some hard plastic cover. I was thinking about making up a mold and ordering some carbon. I've got some cool epoxies and resins I could use. New Intense Primer 29er!-img_6725.jpg
    New Intense Primer 29er!-img_6726.jpg
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My frame is being shipped to Rockguardz this week so they can take a mould.. hopefully they will have a carbon guard available in the not too distant future (I think this may also double up for the ACV as the downtube appears to be the same shape)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey Phil

How did you get the UD frame with a Topaz instead of an SL with a Fox evol? Im pretty set on a Primer. But Im torn on waiting to see when they throw the new pike\fox 34 or if I should build something up myself? I like the black and silver over the Orange and silver personally.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    If anyone is looking for a Medium Primer, I have two for sale:

New Intense Primer 29er!-img_3360.jpgNew Intense Primer 29er!-img_4800.jpg

Message me if you're interested.