Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
Results 901 to 1,000 of 1178
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Drops to flat always hard on a bike so no long term experience here. I think I'll have a cut off for flat drops in the 6-7 foot range for the bike. No limit with transitions obviously.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I would say that big drops to flat are hardest on the wheels.

connisseur
    6-7 ft to flat? ouch! I'll probably hit my local bike park next month a few times but just stick to the jump trail with nice transitions and stay away from any big drops. I'm sure if your a skilled smooth rider on that stuff it will take it but I'm a hack in my 50's who prefers chunky raw singletrack these days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Size help, feedback...decided on a Primer. Large or XL? I am 6- 1, 32" inseam. Large w/ a 70-80mm stem? Or XL? I have always ridden a large or 19" but seems like some of these 29ers fit a little small...thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You sound like a size L to me and I doubt you will need a longer stem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    You sound like a size L to me and I doubt you will need a longer stem
    ^^^ Agreed ^^^
    2017 Pivot 5.5
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Deezee, what's your inseam? Or saddle height. I think I am on the cusp of size, your suscripción seems the closest to me...

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    6'2" with a long torso. Demoed the L and liked it but it felt a bit cramped with a 50mm stem. Got the XL and it feels perfect for me with a 50mm stem. I have even put a 70mm on it for a long endurance event I did back in October.
    What's your inseam...now it's been several months, still like XL?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeairide52 View Post
    Size help, feedback...decided on a Primer. Large or XL? I am 6- 1, 32" inseam. Large w/ a 70-80mm stem? Or XL? I have always ridden a large or 19" but seems like some of these 29ers fit a little small...thanks in advance.
    I'm 6'1 34" inseam, L fits me perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I am almost 6'3" with a 33" inseam. I have had 9 large frames from Intense but decided to buy a XL when I purchased the Primer. I will say that if I was any shorter, I would want a large instead. I also have a large Spider 275C. I feel that I am exactly in between the two sizes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    At 6'1 intense is about the only brand I am not an in betweener. Its sooo good!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnw/bear View Post
    I am almost 6'3" with a 33" inseam. I have had 9 large frames from Intense but decided to buy a XL when I purchased the Primer. I will say that if I was any shorter, I would want a large instead. I also have a large Spider 275C. I feel that I am exactly in between the two sizes.
    Thank you ALL for responses...Large, likely w/ a little longer stem....my XC roots will require a 70-80 stem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Shock question: I'm around 200 lbs with my gear and the Primer has the FOX Performance Elite FLOAT -- at 220 psi I'm still do not get 20% sag, does this sound right? At 220 psi I'm right around 30-33%.

Do this sound right or am I missing something?

mtbr member
    I have the same shock on my Primer Pro. I'm 210 with gear and run my shock at 195 PSI but I also run it as 30% sag. That's not much help for you but it gives you something to compare to.
    2017 Pivot 5.5
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I have the same shock on my Primer Pro. I'm 210 with gear and run my shock at 195 PSI but I also run it as 30% sag. That's not much help for you but it gives you something to compare to.
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Got sick of the stock downtube protector flapping around so ordered a Rockguardz carbon one from the UK and fitted it up today. Pretty straight forward but not sure about how much of the factory decals that it cuts off on the side of the downtube. Should be able to cut the sides back a bit to make it more aesthetically pleasing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by slider_phil View Post
    Got sick of the stock downtube protector flapping around so ordered a Rockguardz carbon one from the UK and fitted it up today. Pretty straight forward but not sure about how much of the factory decals that it cuts off on the side of the downtube. Should be able to cut the sides back a bit to make it more aesthetically pleasing.

Love the build - i'm on a pike 140 and CC IL too - makes such a difference over the fox 34 and factory shock!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richt2000 View Post
    Love the build - i'm on a pike 140 and CC IL too - makes such a difference over the fox 34 and factory shock!
    I guess I'm lucky that I never got a chance to ride with the Fox gear! Bought the frame with a DVO Topaz and sold that before I even got it built. The Pike has been on 3 bikes now so I'm fairly comfortable with it.

Really enjoying the Primer when I get time to ride it lol. Trails have been so waterlogged here at the moment so lots of time on the road bike and some occasional muddy rides on the hardtail.

Have been a little curious about the Recluse link that's been talked about. From memory the 200x51 CC shock can be setup as 200x57 and the Pike is easily changed to 150mm. But then I remembered that I bought the Primer to be a light trail bike and I should settle down haha.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I guess I'm lucky that I never got a chance to ride with the Fox gear! Bought the frame with a DVO Topaz and sold that before I even got it built. The Pike has been on 3 bikes now so I'm fairly comfortable with it.

Really enjoying the Primer when I get time to ride it lol. Trails have been so waterlogged here at the moment so lots of time on the road bike and some occasional muddy rides on the hardtail.

Have been a little curious about the Recluse link that's been talked about. From memory the 200x51 CC shock can be setup as 200x57 and the Pike is easily changed to 150mm. But then I remembered that I bought the Primer to be a light trail bike and I should settle down haha.
    Cc Il 57mm stroke wont fit - the can is too big. Fox and ohlins fit. And I think rockshox fits too but I haven't tried that

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    so I tested the new dpx2 now on a couple of rides in 200x51. It's a definitive upgrade over the float dps. The rear tracks better and is less nervous through chunky stuff. Really calms the bike down and adds stability but you loose a bit of the snappiness of the float dps. The 200x57 version will fit too and I have one here for my recluse but not sure about the benefits without a bigger fork.

Demoed the new carbine today and that's a tough back to back ride. Dialed primer versus expert build demo bike carbine. I think the carbine can be great for DH but it pedaled like a big bike. Felt like my uzzi and I had issues accelerating in steep sections with the suspension being very wobbly when out of the saddle. So it would not be my first choice for new england trail riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shrink View Post
    so I tested the new dpx2 now on a couple of rides in 200x51. It's a definitive upgrade over the float dps. The rear tracks better and is less nervous through chunky stuff. Really calms the bike down and adds stability but you loose a bit of the snappiness of the float dps. The 200x57 version will fit too and I have one here for my recluse but not sure about the benefits without a bigger fork.
    I'm actually pretty happy with the Fox Performance Elite stuff that came on the Pro build. I don't have any issues with the rear end being "nervous" but I will say we rode out local IMBA Epic (Noble Canyon) today and it has several sections of repeated chatter & chunk while going downhill and when I stopped at the bottom of one section, I could feel the heat emanating from my rear shock. I'm definitely getting the DPX2 for my Pivot 5.5 once it arrives.
    2017 Pivot 5.5
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Does anyone know what is the actual rear travel for the Primer?
    Website says 115 or 130mm.
    Manual says 112 or 125mm.
    Suspension website seems to measure it at 112 and 125mm. (Linkage Design: Resultados de la búsqueda de intense primer)

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I would trust the manual over the website. This is a great trail bike that also jumps and drops really well. The rear suspension feels really good and the bug wheels compensate a good deal for the short travel. Does not feel harsh on big flat drops either. However the fork does.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    NEW COLOURWAYS are on the intense website.

Primer Looks sick....

mtbr member

Primer Looks sick....
    I love both colors on the Factory, Elite & Pro builds. The lower two levels, n to so much though the black is okay. Thanks for the heads up.
    2017 Pivot 5.5
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Any idea when prices will be out?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Any idea when prices will be out?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Wish they had some better wheel specs. The Race Face rims from the Foundation spec could be used on the next 2 models up with better hubs and be more current then what is on them. The DT M1900 are like 22mm internal width and the wheels aren't light.

I'm thinking of getting the Expert build and wish the new black had just a touch more green.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Primer Looks sick....
    They posted the specs too. It's interesting to see that they went with 140mm up front this year. That was the first modification that I made to my front when I got it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    The pike was always specced as a 140 fork on the lower builds. I believe axle to crown on a 130 fox 34 is same as pike 140.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporting1 View Post
    They posted the specs too. It's interesting to see that they went with 140mm up front this year. That was the first modification that I made to my front when I got it.
    I thought that it was interesting that the web site says that travel is 130 up front and 130/115 in the rear, however, it now comes with a Pike 140 up front!

I was considering a Primer Factory purchase in order to get the weight down low enough to race XC (and maybe enduro), however, it looks like they are just making it heavier.
    Now, if you are wanting a racier 29er, you are forced to go elsewhere.
    If you want more travel, why would you not go with another Intense model like the Carbine?
    Last edited by BoiseBoy; 08-03-2017 at 09:26 AM.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    travel is not changed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBoy View Post
    I thought that it was interesting that the web site says that travel is 130/115, however, it now comes with a Pike 140!

I was considering a Primer Factory purchase in order to get the weight down low enough to race XC (and maybe enduro), however, it looks like they are just making it heavier.
    If you want more travel, why would you not go with another Intense model like the Carbine?
    130/115 is the adjustable rear travel. Has nothing to do with the front fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Keep an eye on the top shock pivot bolt peeps, I've had mine loosen up a couple of times although it's pretty obvious as it starts creaking early.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    130/115 is the adjustable rear travel. Has nothing to do with the front fork.
    I should have been more clear. I was under the impression that the fork travel was previously 130 and now increased to 140.
    I should have written 130, 130/115 for the 2017 year.
    BoiseBoy

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBoy View Post
    I thought that it was interesting that the web site says that travel is 130/115, however, it now comes with a Pike 140!

Because the two bikes have clearly different leverage rates. They feel much differently off the top of the stroke, with the Primer putting more emphasis on well behaved pedaling characteristics, since people like a suspension that doesn't move much due to pedaling inputs. The Carbine emphasizes active suspension during that part of the stroke. As for going from a 34 130mm fork to Pike 140mm, the weight gained is highly structural, offering rigidity to offset the longer fork--not a bad place to have extra weight on a bike. Unless you're at your body's ideal strength-to-weight ratio, I suggest not agonizing over useful weight that improves strength/stiffness-to-weight ratio of bike parts.

I thought Intense hasn't been in XC racing for a while. Do you have some vested interest in Intense specifically, to not seek another brand's offerings? I know they sponsored some high schoolers here a while back, who picked up their Hard Eddies at a discount, but those are discontinued as far as I know. Have a look at the Spider 275 perhaps. When I rode one, it felt near perfect to me. So perfect that it was almost uninteresting, probably since it left everything up to me to make things interesting and I wasn't having it on those Schwalbe tires (I much prefer Maxxis).
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    The pike specced on the 2017 expert and foundation builds was always a 140mm fork on the primer. Only the 34 for the pro and factory build was at 130mm. This is to keep the geometry level between the two forks. So the change is that intense buddies up with sram and no longer offers the 34 on any of the builds.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The pike was always specced as a 140 fork on the lower builds. I believe axle to crown on a 130 fox 34 is same as pike 140.
    Nope a-c of a 130 pike is longer than a 130 fox 34 (about 4mm)
    And an ac of a 140 pike over a 130 fox is 14mm

Having ridden a primer with a 130 and 140 fox and 140 pike, you can feel the difference between all three. 140 pike is definitely the best - way more capable. I would onver ever run 130 fox for an XC race!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The pike specced on the 2017 expert and foundation builds was always a 140mm fork on the primer. Only the 34 for the pro and factory build was at 130mm. This is to keep the geometry level between the two forks. So the change is that intense buddies up with sram and no longer offers the 34 on any of the builds.
    I remember this being debated 9 months ago - we concluded the pike 140 gave a better 'aggressive trail' geo for the bike for the majority of riders at the lower price points, and the 130 gave a more race geo for thoses who are likely to race and spend top notch cash.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Another path to more travel, which I am currently on, is to increase the front and rear travel on my Primer pro to 140mm at both ends.

I just picked up the 140mm Recluse link and installing a 200x57 Fox DPX2 in the rear. Have to wait to get the shock. Intense sales rep did this to his Primer and said it was a great change.

Getting 10 extra mm on the front is much easier. My LBS is putting a 820-02-364-KIT Service Set: Air Shaft Assy, 34, 140mm, FLOAT NA 2, 1.214" Bore into the fork at the annual maintenance this month.

Business and party in the front and back. I'll let you know how it rides when it is done.

Other tweaks to my Primer were:
    - DT 36 tooth star (no more engagement issues)
    - 30T chain ring up front (I can now climb anything)
    - Replacing SRAM brakes for XT, 180mm rotor in the back, 203 mm rotor up front (I like the bite of the XT over the SRAM "modulation").
    - Replacing the Stealth seat post with a Magura Vyron (slight delay in actuation, but one less cable on the bike).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just curious so what's the actual head angle. Last year they showed the 67.5 with the 130/140 forks and now it's still 67.5 with all 140 forks.

Quote Originally Posted by jvishney View Post
    Another path to more travel, which I am currently on, is to increase the front and rear travel on my Primer pro to 140mm at both ends.

I just picked up the 140mm Recluse link and installing a 200x57 Fox DPX2 in the rear. Have to wait to get the shock. Intense sales rep did this to his Primer and said it was a great change.

Getting 10 extra mm on the front is much easier. My LBS is putting a 820-02-364-KIT Service Set: Air Shaft Assy, 34, 140mm, FLOAT NA 2, 1.214" Bore into the fork at the annual maintenance this month.

Business and party in the front and back. I'll let you know how it rides when it is done.

- Replacing SRAM brakes for XT, 180mm rotor in the back, 203 mm rotor up front (I like the bite of the XT over the SRAM "modulation").
    - Replacing the Stealth seat post with a Magura Vyron (slight delay in actuation, but one less cable on the bike).
    What did the link cost you?

mtbr member
    Keen to see some pics of the bike done with full articulation etc. Going to be a sweet ride by the sounds!

connisseur
    The 67.5 HA is with Fox 130 from my understanding, the Pike 140 is a little longer should bring HA to sub 67

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Do you need to order any bolts / bearings etc with the recluse link, or just ask for the link?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
    The 67.5 HA is with Fox 130 from my understanding, the Pike 140 is a little longer should bring HA to sub 67
    So I measured mine and it's 68 with the Fox. That makes sense as the Pike would be 67.5 and that's what all the new ones are speced with now and they still say 67.5.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I have a 200x51 dpx2 for sale if anyone interested. Used for a few rides to test on the primer. While I love the bike and have a lot of fun on some trails it is not up to par on my go to trails. Bike feels awkward at high speed and when hitting steep rock ups at high speed. Also found it a little less stable in slow speed stuff and on skinnies. So it's not replacing my recluse after all. I think it's the big wheels and short WB with high BB and small fork. But nothing climbs like the primer.....and I definitely keeping it for the less rowdy days. Also put a dpx2 on my recluse today. The 200x57 dpx2 fits on the primer without the recluse linkage

mtbr member
    May 2016
    New Intense Primer 29er!-img_0473.jpg

Really digging this new color.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cblesius View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0473.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	1150460

Really digging this new color.
    Nice build, i was planning on selling my orange primer when I heard there was going to be new colors but I really didn't like the colors from looking at them on the website. Of course they look different in the wild. Could take a few more pics against a neutral background or on a ride please
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have a 200x51 dpx2 for sale if anyone interested. Used for a few rides to test on the primer. While I love the bike and have a lot of fun on some trails it is not up to par on my go to trails. Bike feels awkward at high speed and when hitting steep rock ups at high speed. Also found it a little less stable in slow speed stuff and on skinnies. So it's not replacing my recluse after all. I think it's the big wheels and short WB with high BB and small fork. But nothing climbs like the primer.....and I definitely keeping it for the less rowdy days. Also put a dpx2 on my recluse today. The 200x57 dpx2 fits on the primer without the recluse linkage
    Is the dpx2 lockout as firm as a dps evol shock ? Ie almost locked out?
    Where r u in the world? And how kuch do you want for it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i test rode an ibis ripley v3 and loved it. wondering how it may compare to primer? going to be testing a primer here soon. i thought maybe part of what made the ripley so good was its 2.6 NN. they really gripped well. could the primer fit 2.6NN? i'd prob mount them on some pretty wide rims like ibis 938 or 942s. what are yall thoughts on that? at the least the primer could fit 2.5 DHFs right? any help appreciated. i'm thinkin the 2.6 would be tight but apparently theyre really no bigger when put on a wide rim from a 2.5 or 2.4. thanks guys for any help!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by hosercom View Post
    i test rode an ibis ripley v3 and loved it. wondering how it may compare to primer? going to be testing a primer here soon. i thought maybe part of what made the ripley so good was its 2.6 NN. they really gripped well. could the primer fit 2.6NN? i'd prob mount them on some pretty wide rims like ibis 938 or 942s. what are yall thoughts on that? at the least the primer could fit 2.5 DHFs right? any help appreciated. i'm thinkin the 2.6 would be tight but apparently theyre really no bigger when put on a wide rim from a 2.5 or 2.4. thanks guys for any help!
    Not sure in the rear, I have run a 2.4 DHR in the rear on a 942 rim and that fit with very little mud clearance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    It's the dual piston design of the float dps so lockout should be firm. I have not tested it. I am asking 350 for it + shipping and I am on the east coast US.

re tires. It gets tight towards the linkage. Rear triangle is wide enough so you need to test. Could also get an ACV frame and build it up as a primer. The rear should have some more clearance. I have dhf 2.5 on M70HVs. We don't get mud here so no issues with the tight clearance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Link was $50 picked up directly from Intense in Temecula, CA.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    All you need is the link and bearings. The bearings are already pressed into the link. Otherwise you just use all of the existing mounting hardware from the Primer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    All you need is the link and bearings. The bearings are already pressed into the link. Otherwise you just use all of the existing mounting hardware from the Primer.
    Great thanks - and are you finding the extra travel
    more useful than the extra travel gained from just running a 57mm stroke with the primer linkage? I found the 57mm stroke on it own handled badly at bottom out and deep stroke repetitive hits...

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I don't know yet. I still have to get the DPX2 200x57 shock and change everything over. I am also increasing the travel on the Fox 34 from 130mm to 140mm. I should have everything done by the end of the month.

The rep at Intense that turned me on to this Primer "hack," did this to his own Primer. With the linkage change and longer shock stroke he said it was awesome. Leverage ratio of the rear suspension changes slightly from 2.55:1 to 2.46:1 which is fine with me since I am a bigger person. I ride an XL and the Intense rep is 6'4" and rides a Large frame. Don't know if any of this helps or makes a difference.

I'm not a suspension expert, but it seems to me running a shock with more stroke without compensating with additional travel for the rear axle would screw things up. The bike was originally designed for 130 mm of travel for a shock with 51 mm stroke.

I will definitely post the results once everything is done. However, my ride style will not push the suspension to its limits. I am not a big air or big hit person. I prefer to keep both wheels planted as much as possible.

mtbr member
    I have a 200x51 dpx2 for sale if anyone interested.
    Does a water bottle clear this shock? I'm looking at a size L, what size frame are you on?

connisseur
    I don't know yet. I still have to get the DPX2 200x57 shock and change everything over. I am also increasing the travel on the Fox 34 from 130mm to 140mm. I should have everything done by the end of the month.

The rep at Intense that turned me on to this Primer "hack," did this to his own Primer. With the linkage change and longer shock stroke he said it was awesome. Leverage ratio of the rear suspension changes slightly from 2.55:1 to 2.46:1 which is fine with me since I am a bigger person. I ride an XL and the Intense rep is 6'4" and rides a Large frame. Don't know if any of this helps or makes a difference.

I'm not a suspension expert, but it seems to me running a shock with more stroke without compensating with additional travel for the rear axle would screw things up. The bike was originally designed for 130 mm of travel for a shock with 51 mm stroke.

I will definitely post the results once everything is done. However, my ride style will not push the suspension to its limits. I am not a big air or big hit person. I prefer to keep both wheels planted as much as possible.
    Stock travel is actually 125, so if you do the math the leverage ratios and travel are the same with a 57mm stroke shock. My guess is the susp curve is a little diff with Recluse link so maybe a little plusher at top of stroke and the end of the travel is more usable, not as progressive.

My experience with stock link/57 shock is the same as richt2000, not real usable travel at the end of the stroke. Otherwise the susp feels great. I still think if I was buying a diff shock I would go with stock link and 51 shock tho, 125 travel is plenty for this bike IMO

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have an Expert on order so will see what it rides like soon. Coming off a 160mm 26", so I am guessing it will climb much better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister_designs View Post
    I have an Expert on order so will see what it rides like soon. Coming off a 160mm 26", so I am guessing it will climb much better.
    Absolutely no doubt... you will feel like you are cheating!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Just built up this Primer yesterday, 2018 Primer Expert/Foundation frame with an Pro build kit from the 2017 model. Added some orange anodized hardware to tie it all together. The Primer is a damn rocket ship. I've been riding my Carbine for the past couple months and have been having a lot of fun on it. I've been wanting another 29er that I could ride more XC. Getting speed of the Primer is so effortless, there's no delay when you put down power on the pedals. This bike should probably be illegal.

New Intense Primer 29er!-img_7309.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    Absolutely no doubt... you will feel like you are cheating!
    I can confirm this. There might be a motor in the bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by creativefletch View Post
    I can confirm this. There might be a motor in the bottom bracket.
    I need a motor to keep up with the guys I ride with.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Does anyone know if you can insert a 5" dropper (reverb or fox) all the way to the collar. I am mm within making a 5" work based on the specs. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by onobed View Post
    Does anyone know if you can insert a 5" dropper (reverb or fox) all the way to the collar. I am mm within making a 5" work based on the specs. Thx

Don't see why not, I have a 150 ks fully slammed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

The 150MM dropper (Fox and Reverb) both can be slammed all the way down to the collar. So a 125MM wouldn't be an issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Finally pulled the trigger

Thanks to those that responded to my question on the dropper. Turns out that was the decision point between the Primer and an Ibis Ripley.

I don't think that I ever researched a bike as much as this. For those, like me that painfully obsess over every detail, painfully obsess over which bike to buy, here is why I chose the 2018 Primer over the Ibis Ripley categorized as shallow and substantive:

Shallow: The colors on the Ripley don't speak to me. Really disliked both of the colors. On the other hand, I thought the 2017 Primer looked great and the 2018 Primer has one the best looking stock paint jobs I have seen.

Substantive: 6" dropper. I have 6" dropper on my Nomad, and a 5" on another bike. That one inch makes a huge difference for my style riding. Primer can use a 6" dropper, Ibis, at my saddle height, requires a 5"

Shallow: I ride UCSC regularly. Ibis' are all over the place. It's rare to see an Intense.

Substantive: I think that the Pike is the greatest fork ever made. For my style and weight, they are phenomenal. I also know how to rebuild Pikes and not that I couldn't figure out how to rebuild a Fox, but the performance/maintenance benefit for me goes to the Pike.

Shallow: Enve wheels over Ibis Rims. I am 100% certain that I could not tell the difference on the trail between the two, but Enve wheels look better.

Substantive: $$$. The Ibis is way less expensive than the Intense - like $2000. However, it's what I love, so not the place to skimp.

Shallow: Weight. I estimate that the Primer will be about a pound lighter. The frame is lighter, as are the wheels and cockpit. For these bikes weight shouldn't be a consideration as they are both light, but it's a factor. I should lose that weight, but it's easier to buy down.

Substantive: I hate, hate, hate SRAM brakes. I am sure people love them, I am sure they have gotten better. However, I have had bad luck using them, I don't like the ergonomics. On the other hand, XTR brakes are amazing. Plus, since my family all has Shimano brakes, only one brand of brake pad and one type of oil needs to be stocked.

Shallow: 115/130 and 140 v. 130 and 130. I like the idea of being able to shorten the rear travel. I am 90% certain I will never actually do it, but I like the idea. I definitely like more front travel, although truth be told it is easy enough to change.

Substantive: This last point is interesting: press fit v. threaded. I really struggled with press fit. I hate the idea. I really don't see any benefit to press fit. I read the benefits, but I don't believe them. (The Primer is PF and the Ibis has a threaded BB). In the end I asked some people I know that ride hard their impressions and they had no issues with PF. My Spesh has a PF and truth be told while that bike creaks, the creaking is not the BB.

So the order is in. Can't wait to build it up hit the trail.

mtbr member

Shallow: The colors on the Ripley don't speak to me. Really disliked both of the colors. On the other hand, I thought the 2017 Primer looked great and the 2018 Primer has one the best looking stock paint jobs I have seen.

I agree 100%

Substantive: I think that the Pike is the greatest fork ever made. For my style and weight, they are phenomenal. I also know how to rebuild Pikes and not that I couldn't figure out how to rebuild a Fox, but the performance/maintenance benefit for me goes to the Pike.

Meh...I have both and think they are pretty equal

Shallow: Enve wheels over Ibis Rims. I am 100% certain that I could not tell the difference on the trail between the two, but Enve wheels look better.

Enve's are the only wheel to ever let me down and Enve didn't stand behind them. You could get envy stickers and put them on LB wheels to get your $2000 back

Substantive: I hate, hate, hate SRAM brakes. I am sure people love them, I am sure they have gotten better. However, I have had bad luck using them, I don't like the ergonomics. On the other hand, XTR brakes are amazing. Plus, since my family all has Shimano brakes, only one brand of brake pad and one type of oil needs to be stocked.

Agreed

So the order is in. Can't wait to build it up hit the trail.
    You're going to love it!!!
    2017 Pivot 5.5
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Just built up this Primer yesterday, 2018 Primer Expert/Foundation frame with an Pro build kit from the 2017 model. Added some orange anodized hardware to tie it all together. The Primer is a damn rocket ship. I've been riding my Carbine for the past couple months and have been having a lot of fun on it. I've been wanting another 29er that I could ride more XC. Getting speed of the Primer is so effortless, there's no delay when you put down power on the pedals. This bike should probably be illegal.

Name:	IMG_7309.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	183.5 KB 
ID:	1151346
    Nice looking build. I've got those same pedals on my 2017 blue/grey Primer with orange trim.

mtbr member
    I have a large primer with a 170mm reverb that can be inserted to the collar.

I believe the 34 and pike are a wash as far as proformence. I think the pike needs a little more up keep, all but one pike needed a charger bleed twice a year. I know the new head seal that came out two years ago helped keepingthe air out but felt it also took away some of its small bump plushness until it got broken in and than needed frequent bleeding. It's smart to stick with what your used to. I have a few friends that are really enjoying the lyric I was thinking about giving it a try on an other long travel project I've got up my sleeve even though I've had great luck with the new 36 on two bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by throet View Post
    Nice looking build. I've got those same pedals on my 2017 blue/grey Primer with orange trim.
    Thanks, I had them from my Tracer but I think I'm going to switch them out for some orange or black T1s. I don't ride a lot with clips but I think the riding I do on this bike would benefit with clips.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Speaking of Lyrik: I had little luck with the 2017 model on my uzzi. It felt absolutely dead and needed a million tokens. I hear the 2018 is improved but for a big hit bike I buy a used fork and send it to Avalanche for their damper. I bought the lyrik since I really like the 140 pike I have on the primer now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thanks, I had them from my Tracer but I think I'm going to switch them out for some orange or black T1s. I don't ride a lot with clips but I think the riding I do on this bike would benefit with clips.
    I've been going back and forth between flats and clipless on my Primer just depending on where I'm riding. Most of my riding is on highly technical trails where trials maneuvers are needed to navigate everything. Flats work better for me in those conditions and also help me keep from scratching up my bike since I can get my foot down quicker. Initially I was using the HT ME03 ultra light pedals, but the magnesium eventually gave way to my weight and repeated pedal strikes. Given their cost, I decided the AE03 would be more economical in the long run. By the way, you can buy replacement pins for the AE03 in black for $7 at the HT store. On your build, those black pins would look really sweet against the orange pedals!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Where so you ride throet? Looks like my kind of fun.

Dpx2 with water bottle on size Large
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Intense Primer 29er!-img_9454.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Where so you ride throet? Looks like my kind of fun.

Dpx2 with water bottle on size Large
    Nice. I ride in Austin, TX and the surrounding Hill Country.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Just a quicky.
    Is there a guide hose for the internal dropper post cable?
    I built a spider a while back for a friend and had a right job trying to route the dropper hose. Ended up with some fishing line and a vacum cleaner.

Also any clearence issues running a non boost 1x xt chainset?

mtbr member
    No internal porting for the dropper I'm afraid. Didn't have too bad of a time doing it though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Anyone find 2018 prices yet? All I could find was a site with U.K. prices. If I did the math right the Expert is 8k US. And with a Revelation not a Pike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Anyone find 2018 prices yet? All I could find was a site with U.K. prices. If I did the math right the Expert is 8k US. And with a Revelation not a Pike.
    Check bike bling. They have complete bike only though. Nothing on frame sets. Can anyone chim in?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Foundation $3999
    Expert $4999
    Pro $6999
    Elite $7999
    Factory $10,400

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by richg1979 View Post
    Just a quicky.
    Is there a guide hose for the internal dropper post cable?
    I built a spider a while back for a friend and had a right job trying to route the dropper hose. Ended up with some fishing line and a vacum cleaner.

Also any clearence issues running a non boost 1x xt chainset?
    It doesn't change the Q factor it only changes the chainline. So no clearance issues but you will have chainline issues

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Awesome. Thank you

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If ur in the UK, my LBS is selling a large ex demo Primer factory for £3800...
    Not bad at all compared to rrp.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Paper or plastic?
    Hoping to demo a Primer this Saturday. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the Hightower I demoed a few months back (although on completely different terrain, so there's always that).
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    2.5 minion dhf in the rear on a 31mm internal width rim. Not much space but no issues riding and no flex in that direction. Plenty of space sideways and no clue how this would be in mud. We have rocks not mud here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Intense Primer 29er!-img_9657.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    just ordered a primer. building it up custom. anybody ridden a DVO topaz? how about DVO forks? how about that fox dpx2? looks like ya can still fit a h20 bottle in there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Dpx2 definitely an upgrade for more rowdy rides. I am not able to get rebound set properly on the CTD for example. I found however that the trails where the dpx2 provides those benefits I am having overall more fun in the recluse. In my opinion you only need a different rear shock if you are going with a different fork as well like a 150 36.

I need to find the time to set the bike up ad a 160/140 bike with the recluse linkage.

Paper or plastic?
    Tried the primer yesterday. At 5'7" with a 29" inseam I could not fully extend the dropper (fully inserted). Otherwise, great cockpit, but rear suspension felt harsh on the rocky sections going up. Going down was really fun, and bike jumped really well. Ultimately, not the bike for me though.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Tried the primer yesterday. At 5'7" with a 29" inseam I could not fully extend the dropper (fully inserted). Otherwise, great cockpit, but rear suspension felt harsh on the rocky sections going up. Going down was really fun, and bike jumped really well. Ultimately, not the bike for me though.

Small or medium frame? And what size dropper? I'm 5ft8 on a medium but with an inseam just past 32". My 150mm dropper is near on slammed. The seat tube length is a bit long on these unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post

I had the same issue with Med demo. It had a 150 reverb and it was just a tad too long. I think even the reviews complained about that. My Med came with a 125 and it swapped to a KS 150 after lots of measurements and determined with it's slammed it was a the perfect height.

Paper or plastic?
    Small or medium frame? And what size dropper? I'm 5ft8 on a medium but with an inseam just past 32". My 150mm dropper is near on slammed. The seat tube length is a bit long on these unfortunately.
    Medium, which fit well otherwise

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by hosercom View Post
    just ordered a primer. building it up custom. anybody ridden a DVO topaz? how about DVO forks? how about that fox dpx2? looks like ya can still fit a h20 bottle in there.
    I had a DVO Topaz on my Pro Primer for 3-4 weeks back in May while the Fox Float was in for service.

The Topaz did not seem to be as supportive as the Fox Float. Other reviewers seem to confirm this perception. The lock out never truly locked out. For some people that might be fine, but I wanted a bike that was a very efficient pedaling platform and the DVO Topaz (which I suspect is more linear than the Fox Float) did not accomplish that. It might also be that I did not have it properly dialed in. Just was not for me.

Fast forward to this last weekend. On the advice of an Intense salesperson, I replaced the standard 130/115 carbon link with a Recluse 140mm alloy link to increase rear travel and installed a DPX2 200x57 shock. The results were excellent. I was only able to get in one ride, but the rear suspension felt more usable and fluid to me. I went over and through obstacles much faster and with more confidence. The rear suspension was still supportive and maintained a very efficient pedaling platform. Overall a win-win.

Next week my LBS is doing the annual service on the Fox 34 fork and changing the travel from 130mm to 140mm with a new air spring kit.

The stock Primer at 130mm/130mm is a great bike, but 140mm at both ends is going to make the bike even better for my riding style. When I want it to be more XC oriented, I still have the original linkage and shock. Takes about 45 minutes to do the swap including cleaning out the crud and re-greasing the appropriate parts.

Regardless of the travel, my first impression of the DPX2 is two thumbs up.

Last think for the gram counters out there, the Recluse 140mm link is only 20 grams heavier than the Primer Carbon Link.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I'm on a medium with a reverb 150mm and run my seat post about 1" out from the collar.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just finished building a new factory Primer. The finish on this bike is excellent. All of the details are very well thought through. Bike went together really easily. Two changes from the stock build: wider bar and different saddle. Most people hate the saddle. Oh well. Bars are a preference.

Can't wait to get it dirty.

Here are some pics.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Mine 2017 Expert arrived yesterday,

Super happy with first ride.

New Intense Primer 29er!-img_35361.jpg

connisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister_designs View Post
    Mine 2017 Expert arrived yesterday,

Super happy with first ride.

Name:	IMG_35361.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	1153502
    Are you in the Springs? looks like Palmer park or Ute valley

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
    Are you in the Springs? looks like Palmer park or Ute valley
    Yes. I live next door to Ute.

mtbr member
    Just finished building a new factory Primer. The finish on this bike is excellent. All of the details are very well thought through. Bike went together really easily. Two changes from the stock build: wider bar and different saddle. Most people hate the saddle. Oh well. Bars are a preference.

Here are some pics.
    Looks fantastic....
    2017 Pivot 5.5
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Here are some pics.
    Beautiful! Did you go 780 or 800 on the bars?

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast