mtbr member
    May 2007

New to Intense and 29 inches!

New to Intense and 29 inches!-dat-bike-tire.jpgNew to Intense and 29 inches!-dat-bike.jpg

So this is my new ride. Just finishing the build and think I may want a larger front tire than the Conti Mountain King 2.4 ( really more like a 2.1 ) I posted this in the 29er forum, but now have a new question... What is the largest size tire that can be run in a Rockshox Reba Team dual air 140mm with 20mm thru axle? Can I squeeze a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 or Hans Dampf 2.35 in there?? The first pic is with the Conti. Mt. King 2.4.

Anybody know?

Bikes!
    You'll definitely get the Hans Dampf in there without any issues. Lovely bike by the way!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the reply on the HD fitting, and bike comment. I am really excited as this is my first Intense. I've been riding an '07 Yeti 575 for the last 6 years, it now may have to be retired after a large rock cratered the down tube. Being a parent of 2 teens and limited budget, this has been pieced together frugally. I am a beginner mechanic and will rely on a true local bike wrench to install derailleur cables / housings and fine tune it all!

Ready to try out the 29 experience...

Bikes!
    I use the Hans Dampf in my Fox 32 120 RLC's and they clear fine, the clearance on the Rock Shox is better I believe.

It looks like you've done a great job and what a 29er to start out on, only one of the best rolling and most fun ones out there!

mtbr member
    Post up a review after some saddle time. I have the exact frame sitting in my living room waiting to slowly be pieced together.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Will do...Soon as she's done! Hopefully I will get it out this week (weather providing)!
    Last edited by keithrad; 03-31-2013 at 05:36 PM.

There's always next year.
    Love mine! I love the stability and confidence it gives me. I've progressed as a rider on mine-- its a blast downhill, and isn't a terrible climber, either. The frame is crying up for something like a Fox36, but I've liked the Manitou Tower I have.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefan1982 View Post
    Love mine! I love the stability and confidence it gives me. I've progressed as a rider on mine-- its a blast downhill, and isn't a terrible climber, either. The frame is crying up for something like a Fox36, but I've liked the Manitou Tower I have.
    Hows about a picture? For proof of its existence!

conjoinicorned
    Nice ride! Mine is sitting waiting to be built, waiting for wheels and a handlebar to arrive so I can mount everything

I've used a 2.5 dissent in my Reba with no issues (and ardent 2.4, etc), there is plenty of room in the fork for any current 29er tire and my new revelation has even more clearance, at least visually
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill View Post
    Post up a review after some saddle time. I have the exact frame sitting in my living room waiting to slowly be pieced together.
    I'm probably not the best person to review a bike...but:

I got it back last night and took it out early-ish this morning trying to beat the forecasted thunderstorms. My favorite trails were shut down as it was raining there. So I took it to the Cleburne State Park trail system that I like, but can be a real butt kicker. The trails 6.5 mile Outer Loop has several roller coaster hills littered with rocks, roots and a good deal of erosion etc., very technical and rough in places that discourage me when climbing as I'm not a strong climber, but it pisses me off to have to get off and push up! It was beginning to rain very lightly so the rocks and roots were starting to get slick...So now you know the conditions!

Right off the bat I had to make some cockpit adjustments, relieve some tire pressure, tweak the front derailleur, as well as fork and shock pressure changes! But what a difference...The things I have read about 29ers was pretty much dead on! Not sure if any of these traits are specific to the Intense T-29 but what I found was;

Climbing is simply an easier task with the larger wheels period! I still missed a few and maybe always will on this trail, but the difference is very noticeable. It just has a larger footprint to propel you further with each pedal stroke. I still got winded on the climbs and the light sprinkling of rain had things getting pretty slick, but damned if it wasn't easier!! Honestly I feel like the bike fit me better as I am tall and long legged. Going from seated to out of the saddle climbing was almost seamless.

I will have to work on my handling skills for sure. This is a different ride. I've always been ok at technical maneuvers, not great, but I was riding and racing moto before I found mt. biking. I found the larger wheel is obviously taller so there's a degree of a higher center of gravity that just about put me on my ass when I made a last second change in direction coming down a creek crossing! It does not flick around as quickly as my Yeti 575. It is noticeable in the tight sections of woods as well as on the rocky sections when climbing and crossing over roots, there is a tendency for the wheel to grab like I don't remember with my 26er. But again, these are traits that I will adjust to.
    I really liked the higher ground clearance at the crank arms! Huge when you consider Yeti 575's are notoriously low... Then the rains started down so I took it back to the trailhead!

I still need to fine tune the tire pressure and maybe a larger width front tire, and play with the suspension. But I am super stoked with this new ride SUPER STOKED! All of you guys who are building up a T-29 I'm excited for you too! Can't wait to get back on the trail with this new ride and learn more about it!!

Congrats on yours jhill!
    Last edited by keithrad; 04-02-2013 at 04:18 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    Nice ride! Mine is sitting waiting to be built, waiting for wheels and a handlebar to arrive so I can mount everything

I've used a 2.5 dissent in my Reba with no issues (and ardent 2.4, etc), there is plenty of room in the fork for any current 29er tire and my new revelation has even more clearance, at least visually
    Thanks for that info.!

I have a 2.5 WTB Prowler MX on my 575 that I like alot. Any input you care to share on the Dissent and or the Ardent? After my first ride today I think I may want a larger front tire still! Looking at the Hans Dampf too...

Congrats!! You're going to enjoy that T-29 when it's done!

conjoinicorned
    The dissent is ok but heavy, I also have a 2.5 Kodak that is great in the dry but nowhere else.
    I love the ardent, it's my favourite 29er tire...until I get my hands on a minion that is...the ardent rides a bit different, the harder you ride the better it works. The dissent is just a monster, but its really heavy and not much if at all bigger than the ardent. I haven't had luck with the dissent and tubeless, it'll seal for the ride but overnight it always loses air
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I picked up a Hans Dampf 2.35 on ebay and it fit fine in the Reba fork, using the 2.4 Continental Mountain King in the back. Perfect front tire IMO!