mtbr member
    Nov 2010

New freeride bike.

Intense Uzzi or Knolly Chilcotin for a freeride bike? Has to be capable of pedaling up steep climbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Well this is the Intense forum, so....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The Uzzi is much cleaner in appearance, has a simple better front derailleur setup, less hardware on the linkage and is two bikes in one, depending on which shock, fork and drop out configuration you go with.

There is no weight listed for the Knolly - looks similar to Cove's tube sets which were strong, but not light.

FSR and VPP both pedal well. It will depend more on your build and conditioning as to how the bike climbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You don't need a front derailleur on the Uzzi. My 1x9 w/34 front / 12-34 back goes about anywhere I need it to. Could only imagine if I broke into the future and took it 1x10...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You wouldn't pedal to far where we ride with that gearing, you would do a lot of pushing.
    I think the Knolly is lighter than the Uzzi with the same shock on the frameset.

mtbr member
    Got a chance to get up close to that Knolly and not only is it ugly but it is heavy.

The Uzzi is lighter, my 2012 is 30.14 with CCDB air, Lyrik dh air 170, KS LEV post, Maxxis 2.5 EXO DHF and hr 2 on Haven alum wheels, Saint der and shifter.
    So sub 30 is possible on the Uzzi
    2014 Santa Cruz Solo c.
    2012 Spec Demo 8 red/blk/yeiiow

Dan@sidsbikes.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yes, I can't warm up to the look of the Chilcotin with that vertical shock mounting but everyone that owns one raves about it's performance.

mtbr member
    It just looks flexy with all of those attaching pivot points.
    I am not a four bar, FSR fan. I spent many years on s bikes then tried some different suspension designs and found VPP and DW to be far better.
    Just my .02
    2014 Santa Cruz Solo c.

Dan@sidsbikes.com

whatever she says gueuze.
    Yep, go for the uzzi and you won't regret it. I was itching for a change and considered a carbon Nomad but as soon as I took my uzzi back out, I was in love all over again. It can be built up relatively light and then throw a dual crown on and a coil shock, slacken the G3 and you have a shuttle bike. @ quickneonrt....how did you get yours down to 30.14lbs? Very impressive because I have a 2011 frame and lighter parts (x-fusion H3 air, float 180, 2.3 nevagals, haven wheels, xtr shifter/der, joplin) and mine sits at 33 lbs.

mtbr member
    Here is the full spec list.
    2012 Uzzi Works Raw, sm. CCDB Air,
    2013 RS Lyrik, DH soloair, CC Angleset -.5 for 66.5 ha
    RF Sixc carbon bars 785 uncut, TLD lock-ons, Point One 50mm stem w/Ti bolts
    Formula The One brakes ti mounting hw, 203/180 rotors w/ti bolts but probably switching to XTR trail. RF Sixc 165 cranks, 33t Weeze chainring, E-13 LG1+ guide, Point one Podium pedals. New Saint shifter and der. 11x36 10spd XTR cass. KMC 10sl-x chain, Haven alum wheels, Maxxis EXO DHF f and HR2 EXO r, tubeless.
    Twenty6 seat clamp, KS LEV 30.9 dropper post w/shim for 31.6, WTB Devo ti rail saddle.

I have a set of Haven carbon wheels with lighter tires that I want to throw on there for trail riding. Should go sub 30 then.
    I am on mobile but will get pics soon.
    2014 Santa Cruz Solo c.

Dan@sidsbikes.com

That is one sweet setup. In comparison, the only difference I can see are the SixC cranks (I'm running dues...~200 g difference), you're running 1x10 (I'm running 2x10+bash), and all the ti-bolts/hw (I'm running the Ones also). I'll check out the XTR trails. Looks like I can shave about 200g from the Ones.

mtbr member
    Ndinh so XTR trails are heavier then The Ones at least mine are. Went from 30.14 with The Ones to 31 with XTR trails. I have to send T1s out for service anyway.
    2014 Santa Cruz Solo c.

Dan@sidsbikes.com

Nice to know. I was looking up numbers and was mistaken, the Ones are 350g/per but that's with rotor.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eastshorebiker View Post
    You wouldn't pedal to far where we ride with that gearing, you would do a lot of pushing.
    I think the Knolly is lighter than the Uzzi with the same shock on the frameset.
    dang bro. why you need to go and my skills?
    Last edited by jstuhlman; 01-13-2013 at 08:07 PM.