Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

New dropouts for Uzzi/Socom

My local bike shop said that Intense is going to release some new dropouts for the Uzzi VPX/Socom that will lower the bb height about an inch. Has anyone heard about this?

I love my Uzzi, however a lower bb would make it a whole new bike!

mtbr member
    They are talking about this for over a year now. Wish it would finally happen.
    I am currently waiting on the quote from a machine shop to have some made. If Intense would release them it would save me a lot of effort (and probably money).

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My bike shop seemed to think they would become available in the next couple of months. Anyways, I am stoked with the thought of it. Maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up so quickly.

mtbr member
    That would be great news...I hope it is true.

rain rain go away...
    i hope it's true.

Oh, So Interesting!
    yup, I'd buy some

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    I am going there tomorrow & will put it on my list of things to ask about.

Other subjects on my list are:
    -Spring rate/curve of the tracer & SS
    -angular bearing retro kit
    -maxle dropouts
    -CCDB tweaks

mtbr member
    Awesome...can't wait for your follow up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I hope my info is incorrect, but I spoke with Chad and Andrew from Intense at Interbike and they said it was a no go. Dropouts would be ideal, but their answer is what led me into this whole shortened eye to eye shock deal that I've been working on. Bummer. If anyone has any updated info I'd like to hear it. I've looked into having some dropouts made because I have connections to a machineshop but even with the connection you'd have to make a huge pile of them for it to be worth drawing up and programming a CNC.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spoker247
    I hope my info is incorrect, but I spoke with Chad and Andrew from Intense at Interbike and they said it was a no go. Dropouts would be ideal, but their answer is what led me into this whole shortened eye to eye shock deal that I've been working on. Bummer. If anyone has any updated info I'd like to hear it. I've looked into having some dropouts made because I have connections to a machineshop but even with the connection you'd have to make a huge pile of them for it to be worth drawing up and programming a CNC.

well, i'm taking mechanical engineering technology, and want to buy an SS. If i get an SS and there are no dropouts, i'll make some CNC plans for a maxle.

mtbr member
    I pm'd with Mr. Intense a while ago and got the impression they are seriously looking into it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i hope they do a maxle one too

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    This would make me a very happy boy... My Uzzi would move off the 'items to sell' list.

mtbr member

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one guys

Took the tour & chatted it up with Chad yesterday at Intense, asked about the dropouts & the response I got was "eh ..... maybe". The issue being that it would be great but would be a one-off item made just for an out of production bike. The bikes in production already have a pretty low BB height & there isn't enough demand to make those any lower.

The shining glimmer of hope is the potential for the 2009 Uzzi MIGHT have adjustable dropouts that could be applied to the Uzzi VPX.

It was also stated that the MAXLE dropouts weren't high on the priority list either since there may be yet another standard coming down the line.

I'll post some pictures from the tour once I get back home.

Dre

mtbr member
    The retro kit is pretty easily done BTW.
    Don't drink it

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    From a business standpoint, I can see why they would not make this a big priority. Why go back and change an out of date model?

Although... based on my experience, and the responses to other threads, the listed BB height was not accurate. I think integrity is a big deal to Intense, hopefully they will see this as a product integrity issue and offer a retrofit (at the consumers cost).

Boyeeee
    There was noise about this when the Uzzi was still in production.

If something comes out, I'm definitely in for a set of 135s.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I had them made for my socom. It was quite expensive (250euro) because it was a one off.
    Now I am on a 65.2degree head angle and 14.2inch BB.
    I am currenly working on offset cups to get a 64degree head angle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    You should have another pair made because I will buy them!!!

Boyeeee
    Sign me up for a set of 135x12.

Haven't we done this before?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You should have another pair made because I will buy them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BCBlur
    Sign me up for a set of 135x12.

Haven't we done this before?
    I am not a company trying to sell parts. I am a student who had them made by a local machine shop just for me.
    If you really want the shop make some for you guys it might be possible but you should pm me about it, but I cant guarantee anything.
    I currently only have drawings for a 150X12 hub.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I would be very intersted as well !!
    I personaly wouldnt mind paying you extra money for your trouble. Ims ure if you got a bunch of set made up people would be willing to pay up front. I would!!

mtbr member
    Why not just buy the drawings and then find a machine shop that can make them for you? I think it would save djamgils the hassle of going out and getting it done.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yea i mean i think i may have found a shop that can do it so i would hapily give you something for the drawings ?

mtbr member
    I can put together a few sets if there is enough demand. I built a monster Socom 29er a few seasons ago and fabricated some drop out similar to the ones djamgils has pictured.
    There is quite a bit or labor involved and they are not absolutely perfect because they are welded up not CNC cut.

To get a set drawn up and cut on a CNC would be over a grand a side.

What are riders willing to pay for a set?

I bought a set of extra drop outs for the frame I have (came with 150's and wanted 135's as well) They were stupid expensive. I can't even remember because I think I blocked it from my memory.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I am thinking of distributing the drawings so people can start making them themselves. But I first have to check some things because I had to file a bit to make it fit.

For me it is a bit strange that for a lot of people the drawings are the big hurdle to take, for me it was finding somebody who could make them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...00364#poststop

If you do it as a two piece it will probably be lot cheaper to get them made. I have been running a two piece (bolted together) system for a while now with no issues.fixed.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    So if i where to take th drawings in that thread to a machine shop they should beable to make it from them ?

mtbr member
    pipe send me his drawings and I took them to a machine shop. They haven't gotten back to me with a quote yet. I will let you know if they can make them and what they are asking for. They said it will be a lot cheaper if a bunch of people team up. I'll let you know what they quote me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Well put me down for a set
    maybe it work make a list of names on here ?

mtbr member
    Let me work out the details first and then I will post again. I don't want to start a big hype like the other thread did.

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm after some technical drawings too please

If I can be supplied the drawings, we have a few 5 axis CNC milling machines that should be able to knock these up in an operator downtime at work.

mtbr member
    I donít think you are going to like the response you get when you show up at a machine shop with drawings for two bike drop outs. You might fair better than I did but be prepared for a huge price tag and not very much excitement from the fabricator. Unless you can find a mountain bike fan.
    I cut and drilled them myself and hired out the welding. Did some clean up with a grinder and rode them for more than a year.
    These are pretty ugly but were my first attempt

mtbr member
    I feel like I have let you guys down on this one & didn't realize how serious some of you where about the 1 degree slack drop outs. I am going to talk to my machine shop forman on Monday about this and see if he wants to do these as a side project.
    I really had planned to do these but production always takes priority, please stay tuned as I will try my best to make it happen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mr intense
    I feel like I have let you guys down on this one & didn't realize how serious some of you where about the 1 degree slack drop outs. I am going to talk to my machine shop forman on Monday about this and see if he wants to do these as a side project.
    I really had planned to do these but production always takes priority, please stay tuned as I will try my best to make it happen.
    Now thats service!

Any news you can give us on them would be awesome.
    Last edited by awesome-o; 11-27-2008 at 07:03 AM.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Thanks!... and count me in for a set of 135s.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

LCJ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    That would be awesome please Mr Intense!

Count me in for a set of 150mm on the UK side of the atlantic!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    That is why people are so passionate about this company! 99% of bike companies claim they are riders building for riders, but Mr Intense you really do walk the walk.

mtbr member
    Wow, great!!!! This is what I call customer service!
    BTW: It is more about the lower BB than the slacker angles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Intense for life!

mtbr member
    I'd be in for a set of 150's. Thanks for looking into this Mr. Intense.

mtbr member
    I'd be in for a set of 135's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    count me for a 150mm, the slacker , the better

Evlkneevljr
    135's for me! Count me in! Yeah, the lower bb height is main deal for me, but, I would'nt cry if it was slacker. I've scoured multiple threads over the past year where people have done one off's, but, if you could make it happen, I can tell you the dropouts will be on backorder from all the poeple I've seen interested. PLEASE! keep us posted!
    I like bacon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Count Me in

I'd would order a set of 150's right away if they are going to be available. I would love a lower bb height and a slacker head angle would just be an extra bonus! I love Intense so glad I bought the uzzi vpx and can't really complain about the ride, but I think a lower bb height would only make it better!

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004

very impressed

I too own an older Uzzi with a 135 rear hub, and have been lurking with these dropout threads for quite some time, waiting, hoping someone would come through.

mr. Intense, thank you for looking into this issue and realizing that it is important to your customers. that is really great customer service.

if it does come to fruition, please put me on the list for a set of 135's

keeping my fingers crossed,
    -tep

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Sweet!!! Sign me up for some 135mm...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    count me in for a 150mm. intense for life!!! ( The Netherlands)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    150mm spacing and 2 degree slacker, not just 1 degree.

Thanks Intense

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    count me in for 150mm spacing....

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast