mtbr member

New 2016 Spider 29er Carbon?

I've heard some rumbling about an updated 29er spider C. This is simply coming from the rumor mill, but an update can't be to far off as well as a 27.5 carbon spider. Im sure the carbon 27,5 will be very similar to the aluminum version but I expect large changes to a 29er update. Slacker HA, shorter CS, maybe lower BB. Intense is pretty quick to adopt new standers so I would think 148 rear hubs, and sizing for 27plus tires. Any one have any guesses or insider info about to what a new bike would be like? Again I have no clue if Jeff and the boys are cooking up something new just hoping none the less. Im itching to build up a fun short travel 29er. I hope it will be an intense?
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I was told no update for spider 29c, very reliable source. Something else is in the works and will be announced shorty.

mtbr member
    Interesting, I saw the new Spider 29c images on the Intense Facebook page I'm pretty sure there were just new colours but no other changes. I could of course have just dreamed all of this!

mtbr member
    I wouldnt change a thing, in fact I think the steerer is as slack as it can be for a 29er. As for the boost hub, I'd imagine they'd produce new g1 dropouts to accomodate those wanting the wider hub?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by biketavioumaximus View Post
    I wouldnt change a thing, in fact I think the steerer is as slack as it can be for a 29er. As for the boost hub, I'd imagine they'd produce new g1 dropouts to accomodate those wanting the wider hub?
    I don't think there is any reason to do that unless you have boost BB as well. The whole point is moving the chainline to allow shorter stays.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Spider C is the ''Eye Candy'' of september in What Mountain Bike magazine.

mtbr member

The current Spider C is not even close to as slack as things are for newer LS 29ers. Look at the Evil The Following and the Canfield Bros. Riot.
    Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    I don't think there is any reason to do that unless you have boost BB as well. The whole point is moving the chainline to allow shorter stays.
    The BB does not change with Boost 148, they require chain rings with less offset moving them outboard 3mm. Boost 148 is a good new standard and eventually everyone will go that way with 29ers and 27.5's.

There will be a new low and slack Spider 29, just not sure when (this fall at Interbike or...) and if it will be carbon or aluminum to start. My guess is carbon if I were a betting man. Intense has proven the LS geo/ iBox on the Spider 275 so they could go directly to carbon on the new Spider 29 if they wanted and also build a USA made aluminum version to satisfy that user!
    No proof of any of this new Spider 29 info but it's just my humble opinion! I hope I'm right!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    The current Spider C is not even close to as slack as things are for newer LS 29ers. Look at the Evil The Following and the Canfield Bros. Riot.
    I guess it depends what your looking for in a 29er, I'm not sure if your thinking of the alloy spider but the;

Spider comp has a 67.5 HA with a 140mm fork.
    Evil the following is steeper at 67.8 with a 140mm fork
    and the Riot is slacker at 66.5 with a 140mm fork

So yeah, the Riot is steeper, but obviously there is more to a ride than head angle. I have my (Large) Spider Comp set up with 150mm pike which pushes the head angle out to 67, but i often find it a bit to sack for slower tighter trails.

If any changes were to be made to the Spider Comp, I would like to see shorter chain-stays. In the mean time it is the best bike i have owned to date.It's all personal preference though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Following is 67.4 with a 130 fork in the high setting. So, slacker yet with a 140, and then you have the low setting. Really short cs with a 12x142 as well, which I'd like to see stick around for awhile. Regardless, like you said though it all comes down to rider preference.

mtbr member

I guess it depends what your looking for in a 29er, I'm not sure if your thinking of the alloy spider but the;

Spider comp has a 67.5 HA with a 140mm fork.
    Evil the following is steeper at 67.8 with a 140mm fork
    and the Riot is slacker at 66.5 with a 140mm fork

So yeah, the Riot is steeper, but obviously there is more to a ride than head angle. I have my (Large) Spider Comp set up with 150mm pike which pushes the head angle out to 67, but i often find it a bit to sack for slower tighter trails.

If any changes were to be made to the Spider Comp, I would like to see shorter chain-stays. In the mean time it is the best bike i have owned to date.It's all personal preference though.
    What's the BB height of your Spider with a 150mm fork it's gotta be getting up there? Intense does not recommend anything over 140 for the Spider Comp or Spider 29AL.

Quote Originally Posted by CO29 View Post
    Following is 67.4 with a 130 fork in the high setting. So, slacker yet with a 140, and then you have the low setting. Really short cs with a 12x142 as well, which I'd like to see stick around for awhile. Regardless, like you said though it all comes down to rider preference.
    I've had both bikes and a Spider 29 which I still own. My Following is 67 degree even HA with a MRP Stage 140 548mm a2c and climbs better than any bike I've owned in the saddle, out of the saddle nothing comes remotely close to its climbing ability. Zero bob like a hardtail but with huge grip!
    I think you'll see a new Spider 29 along the line of the Following geometry wise. Besides the Spiders I've owned 3@ DW link bikes. This Following has a long front center and super short RC at 16.8" and a very low stack height so even with a 140 fork it's 25mm lower at the top of the head tube as compared to the Spider Comp. BB height is 13.3" with my 140 Stage and 2.35 F 2.25R tires.
    Last edited by manitou2200; 08-27-2015 at 01:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The only thing I would like to see is shorter chainstays. A slightly longer ETT would work too but shorter chainstays could let us size up a but as well, and still be easy around tight switchbacks. It is a good do-it-all bike and does not give up much to the best climbing 29ers. Mine probably needs a new shock (the old 2013 Fox is kinda decent) but at that price, I may be better off just getting another frame/manufacturer. I find the old shock gets overwhelmed on fast/rocky descents and sometimes lacks support when climbing. On Climb, it gets hung up a bit on roots/rocks and on while climbing on Descend, it sinks into its travel a bit too much. Trail is fine but the PSI range is tiny.

mtbr member

Try a DB Inline on the Spider. I have one on my Spider 29AL and one on the Spider Comp I recently sold. They make a huge difference in the performance of these bikes!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Awesome, thanks! Will look for one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Try a DB Inline on the Spider. I have one on my Spider 29AL and one on the Spider Comp I recently sold. They make a huge difference in the performance of these bikes!
    I think they are round $450 but I also see that Intense is spec-ing the new Spider with the Fox Float DPS SV EVOL shock. I wonder if that one is good too. They are about the same price. Was the Cane Creek reliable for you? I'm hoping some stores have sales and I can pick one up at a discount.

mtbr member
    Yes, they've been very reliable for me. I also have the RS Monarch Debonair on my Evil Following and that's a good shock as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My 2013 (Nov) is still going well, especially considering this year is when it has truly seen some riding. Definitely going to keep an eye out for a Cane Creek DB Inline. The CTD shock is not very good. To get decent small bump compliance , I either have to keep the PSI really low or keep it open (preferable) but then the DH suffers with the jitters. I like the geometry though. For around here, I am not sure I want a low-BB and long bike...yet anyway.

mtbr member
    Wow, that's crazy! Not one dropper between 3 bikes in this photo?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hahaha...old skool! I'm looking (like I am for the CC DBI) but waiting for a good deal as the holidays come close. The Gravity Dropper (as clunky as it looks) seems to be the most reliable one but the others looks so clean. Of those, I like the Reverb due to its serviceability and the DOSS (relatively simple). These parts are so so expensive. Dropper is $300+ and the shock is $450ish.

mtbr member

I'm running a Lev Ti on my Spider and a Lev Int on my Following. I had a Reverb but they are a pain to keep bled and working well. I hack SRAM FD shifters to make them run the Lev dropper posts. Best remote lever there is! I've done XO and XX shifters but any will work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Interesting. The Lev is available and very common here on bikes. I like that idea of the hack shifters. Will look up your posts.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice! Thanks for posting this.

mtbr member

No problems. I feel that the biggest issues that people have with droppers is really the crappy remote levers that operate them. Most don't pull enough cable to run the dropper well.
    The Reverb is an exception here as are the Specialized post with their new SRL lever but like I said the Reverb is prone to remote bleed issues being all hydraulic/ air vs cable/ air.