mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My new HOPE MINI MONO (or MONO MINI ?)

Great brakes to accomplish a great frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Why I oughta..."

Sweet Looking Tracer! (nm)

no message here

mtbr member

Niiiice.

Be sure to post a review on those brakes, I'm most interested in how they do.

Zizzle

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How do you like the brakes? I just ordered some. My first discs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mini Mono rules

Well for that I would need to try every brakes on the market. Anyway the monos are a piece of CNC art and they brake with no effort. Last weekend I did a 50 km raid with mud from start to finish and they performed very well in all situations. Great breaks. You will like it for sure.

paulo from portugal

Quote Originally Posted by piercebrew
    How do you like the brakes? I just ordered some. My first discs.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

New question here. Mono Mini Noise

Has anyone had to deal with noise during the first part of braking with Mono Mini's? My brakes sort of squeak as I first engage the pads to the rotor. When full-on braking the squeak goes away. My riding buddies rib me about the noise so now I'm on a mission to silence my Mono Mini's forever. Aside from the squeak these are wonderful brakes (good lookers too ). Any helpful comments/suggestions welcome...

BTW - these brakes are mounted on a SC Blur/Fox Vanilla R. I didn't have either of the tabs faced but they've been shimmed and don't drag at all. I've heard many posters blame the pads. I'm hoping EBC will come out with a Mono Mini replacement soon...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tabs faced?

What do you mean by the tabs faced? I just installed mine and placed the washers to space the rotor as best I could. Though it is rubbing on part of the rotor. I don't know what to do. Though I don't have much time to try and fix them.

Idea! A Facing Tool

What do you mean by the tabs faced? I just installed mine and placed the washers to space the rotor as best I could. Though it is rubbing on part of the rotor. I don't know what to do. Though I don't have much time to try and fix them.
    Some helpful links:
    http://biketrials.com/review/2003_Ho...Tool_L315.html
    ovalized headtube question - longish

There are tools (most bike shops carry) that allow you to slowy/safely remove some of the material from the disc tab surface where the calipers/shims are mounted. This aligns the tabs so that the caliper is perfectly perpendicular to the rotor. Not all frames need facing for disc calipers, some absolutely do (from what I've read). It isn't tough to do but the tool is expensive so most people just have a shop do it for them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How do I know if I need it?

How would I know if I need it?
    I have a SC SL, and a Marz MX Pro up front. Any ideas?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

How would I know if I need it?
    I have a SC SL, and a Marz MX Pro up front. Any ideas?
    I'd say that if you aren't suffering from squeaky or howling breaks (and you're able to align your calipers w/o any drag) then you shouldn't worry about it. I guess guys at a shop would say it's mandatory when installing any disc brake but I'd beg to differ. The tool (from various mfg's) runs around $100-$200 (and you'd use it once or twice... maybe) so it really isn't something you'd want to invest in. My LBS said they'd do the frame tabs for $10-$15 so I guess it isn't too bad to go that route...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The fronts do squeal

and I'm installing the rears in a day or two. And the fronts seem to rub only on part of the rotor, so I think that the rotor may be a bit out of true. But I've only ridden them a few times. I'll see when I ride them more.