Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My new HOPE MINI MONO (or MONO MINI ?)

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  piercebrew 
#1 ·
Great brakes to accomplish a great frame.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Mini Mono rules

Well for that I would need to try every brakes on the market. Anyway the monos are a piece of CNC art and they brake with no effort. Last weekend I did a 50 km raid with mud from start to finish and they performed very well in all situations. Great breaks. You will like it for sure.

paulo from portugal

piercebrew said:
How do you like the brakes? I just ordered some. My first discs.

#6 ·
Mono Mini Noise

Has anyone had to deal with noise during the first part of braking with Mono Mini's? My brakes sort of squeak as I first engage the pads to the rotor. When full-on braking the squeak goes away. My riding buddies rib me about the noise so now I'm on a mission to silence my Mono Mini's forever. Aside from the squeak these are wonderful brakes (good lookers too :p ). Any helpful comments/suggestions welcome...

BTW - these brakes are mounted on a SC Blur/Fox Vanilla R. I didn't have either of the tabs faced but they've been shimmed and don't drag at all. I've heard many posters blame the pads. I'm hoping EBC will come out with a Mono Mini replacement soon...

#8 ·
A Facing Tool

piercebrew said:
What do you mean by the tabs faced? I just installed mine and placed the washers to space the rotor as best I could. Though it is rubbing on part of the rotor. I don't know what to do. Though I don't have much time to try and fix them.
Some helpful links:
http://biketrials.com/review/2003_Hope_Disc_Mount_Facing_Tool_L315.html
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=2893&goto=nextoldest

There are tools (most bike shops carry) that allow you to slowy/safely remove some of the material from the disc tab surface where the calipers/shims are mounted. This aligns the tabs so that the caliper is perfectly perpendicular to the rotor. Not all frames need facing for disc calipers, some absolutely do (from what I've read). It isn't tough to do but the tool is expensive so most people just have a shop do it for them.

#10 ·
If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

piercebrew said:
How would I know if I need it?
I have a SC SL, and a Marz MX Pro up front. Any ideas?
I'd say that if you aren't suffering from squeaky or howling breaks (and you're able to align your calipers w/o any drag) then you shouldn't worry about it. I guess guys at a shop would say it's mandatory when installing any disc brake but I'd beg to differ. The tool (from various mfg's) runs around $100-$200 (and you'd use it once or twice... maybe) so it really isn't something you'd want to invest in. My LBS said they'd do the frame tabs for $10-$15 so I guess it isn't too bad to go that route...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.