Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    57

    My new 6.6 built - with pics

    Bike is great! Dream to ride. Haven't weighed it on a reliable scale, comes out at 33ish on my POS scale. I have had a few issues with it but nothing that takes away from how great this bike is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    suspension whore
    Reputation: matthew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    702
    very nice
    building mine up soon.
    what fork, hubs, rims and headset?
    Nothing wrong with the all black
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

    Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,676
    Beautiful bike. I love that first pic. Very sharp.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtnbikerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,231
    Nice, I like the black. I'm trying to decide what color to order for this spring. I like the red on my VPX but was thinking white, never even considered black but it looks great! I visited your website and watched the video. MSA forever been there a few times with esquire and Innocent Bystander, what a great place! We we there for the Worlds this summer. How long does it take you to get there from Toronto?
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drumstix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,291
    Quote Originally Posted by FastTimes
    Bike is great! Dream to ride. Haven't weighed it on a reliable scale, comes out at 33ish on my POS scale. I have had a few issues with it but nothing that takes away from how great this bike is.


    Just you wait a cotton-pickin minute here buster, you just cant come into our crib with your fancy photos and all you say is "dream to ride"! We wont go for that around here, you must post a ride report that is equal to that of those pic's, better be as sweet reading as that bike is looking! And one more thing buddy, I dont see any spec's either, thats a big no-no in these parts, not sharing info? Ha! Better start postin if ya want any respect round here.

    Now for your penalty for breaking the rules, you most post action pic's and the 6.6 must be in them!
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

  6. #6
    aka...appBLING72
    Reputation: aappling72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by FastTimes
    Bike is great! Dream to ride. Haven't weighed it on a reliable scale, comes out at 33ish on my POS scale. I have had a few issues with it but nothing that takes away from how great this bike is.

    Very nice!!! I usually choose black as well, but I had to go with the Pearl White on mine this time. It really looks nice too. I don't think you couldpick a bad color with this bike. It is just plain sleek all the way around.

  7. #7
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,832
    What is that ugly color on the crank arms and fork stantions?

    Now I know what my next bike will be, 'cept with my all black AM1 and black TruVativ cranks that I have on my old Uzzi SLX. Love that black stealth bomber.....
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

    CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,559
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    Just you wait a cotton-pickin minute here buster, you just cant come into our crib with your fancy photos and all you say is "dream to ride"! We wont go for that around here, you must post a ride report that is equal to that of those pic's, better be as sweet reading as that bike is looking! And one more thing buddy, I dont see any spec's either, thats a big no-no in these parts, not sharing info? Ha! Better start postin if ya want any respect round here.

    Now for your penalty for breaking the rules, you most post action pic's and the 6.6 must be in them!
    You've talked too fast here Mr!!! hahaha

    Read through the posters web site, he's got an incredibly detailed review (in two parts also) with lot's of photos and so on... Here is the direct link in case you were too shy to go past his initial front menu! http://www.fasttimesinc.com/htmlsite...ews_entryID=38

  9. #9
    Penny's my cow-cat
    Reputation: Cowboy-jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    303

    Good job! Black beauty

    Super looking bike! Is that Gloss or Silk black?
    Penny has the fastest Paw in the west!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    57
    Thanks everyone. I didn't realize that that the Satin Black had not been showcased here or I would have offered up the shots earlier. I am very happy with the color. I think Pearl White would have been my first choice but I was concerned with the wear of the color over time. I have seen White M3s that end up looking permanently dirty at the end of a season from dirt getting into the small surface scratches. White is still my fav look for this bike tho. Someone here has a Pearl White with a full black parts spec that looks incredibly hot IMO. I also like Silver but rode a silver VPX last year and though I would try a new color. I like the stealth colors in general because I don’t like to atrack more attention to my bikes than need be. Thieves seem to zero in on the flashy bikes and I don’t like to give them any more incentive than they already have. If you’re a bike lover you will know what bike it is, I like it like that ! I will be getting a matching black M3 for DH when they come off the line as well. Pretty stoked on the new 83mm BB on that sled.

    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    You've talked too fast here Mr!!! hahaha

    Read through the posters web site, he's got an incredibly detailed review (in two parts also) with lot's of photos and so on... Here is the direct link in case you were too shy to go past his initial front menu! http://www.fasttimesinc.com/htmlsite...ews_entryID=38
    Thanks for answering that for me BanzaiRider. I should have posted that in my initial post as drumstix mentioned. Sorry for the lack of riding pics, I shoot stills and vid all year for a living and when I go ride for myself it's the last thing on my list. I will get some for everyone when the snow is gone in the spring.

    Here are the posts off my site regarding the frame:

    Build
    Initial review
    Follow up review

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,734
    Quote Originally Posted by FastTimes
    Pretty stoked on the new 83mm BB on that sled.
    Oh no! Is this just an option or are they all made with the 83 mm BB? Then there is no chance of running lightweight cranks (XT) anymore

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drumstix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,291
    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    You've talked too fast here Mr!!! hahaha

    Read through the posters web site, he's got an incredibly detailed review (in two parts also) with lot's of photos and so on... Here is the direct link in case you were too shy to go past his initial front menu! http://www.fasttimesinc.com/htmlsite...ews_entryID=38


    Chocolate cream pie looks good on me, it goes good with my hair!


    Hey fast, great review, anymore updates with the front der issue?
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    Chocolate cream pie looks good on me, it goes good with my hair!


    Hey fast, great review, anymore updates with the front der issue?
    Thanks drumstick, glad you enjoyed them. No worries, it was my bad for not making the reviews more obvious in the original post.

    As for the FD - Basically, it looks like the back of the chain guide on my FD was hitting the chain stay while in the granny ring. I removed some of the material and the problem is gone. Not sure everyone will have this issue, or even notice it, as it is only while in the granny ring and is only apparent on bottom out. I only noticed it after a ladder drop that required a climb to get up to the lip. Those running triple rings may be running their derailleur slightly higher up on the ST and may not even be experiencing the issue at all. I was just happy with my stellar shifting up front and opted to lop off some material. You'll have to test your setups individually to see if it's a problem or not for you. Post ‘em up if ya find anything!

    Pce,
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,559
    Quote Originally Posted by FastTimes
    As for the FD - Basically, it looks like the back of the chain guide on my FD was hitting the chain stay while in the granny ring. I removed some of the material and the problem is gone. Not sure everyone will have this issue, or even notice it, as it is only while in the granny ring and is only apparent on bottom out. I only noticed it after a ladder drop that required a climb to get up to the lip. Those running triple rings may be running their derailleur slightly higher up on the ST and may not even be experiencing the issue at all. I was just happy with my stellar shifting up front and opted to lop off some material. You'll have to test your setups individually to see if it's a problem or not for you. Post ‘em up if ya find anything!

    Pce,
    I have the exact same issue on my Banzai. I never solved it because it doesn't seem to cause any problems aside from cosmetic scratches on the chainstay and it is already scratched with the chain slap anyway so I didn't bother. However, your solution is great, I'll get the Dremel out and zap some material off my derailleur, great idea. It's too bad an expensive frame like the Intense has that problem even though it is really minor.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    I have the exact same issue on my Banzai. I never solved it because it doesn't seem to cause any problems aside from cosmetic scratches on the chainstay and it is already scratched with the chain slap anyway so I didn't bother. However, your solution is great, I'll get the Dremel out and zap some material off my derailleur, great idea. It's too bad an expensive frame like the Intense has that problem even though it is really minor.
    Yeah, I am always shocked when I find stuff like that on a bike. I just don't know how in the year plus of testing and riding a bike that doesn't come up. I mean, bottoming on the granny isn't THAT common but it should still have come up I think. Can't see them putting somthing into production knowing about it, at least I hope thats not the case.

    Here is another issue, more specific to VPX and M3 but guess it could be a problem on a 6.6. I just posted my solution there, post #9

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,559
    Quote Originally Posted by FastTimes
    Yeah, I am always shocked when I find stuff like that on a bike. I just don't know how in the year plus of testing and riding a bike that doesn't come up. I mean, bottoming on the granny isn't THAT common but it should still have come up I think. Can't see them putting somthing into production knowing about it, at least I hope thats not the case.

    Here is another issue, more specific to VPX and M3 but guess it could be a problem on a 6.6. I just posted my solution there, post #9
    I realized it on mine while doing maintenance, not riding! I was just cycling my suspension to see if my bearings were smooth and close to bottom out I was feeling something wrong! Took me 5 minutes of looking around the linkage everywhere before realizing it was the damn front cage that was touching the chainstay tube. I mean, the only way a designer would not have realized it is if they design the frame without parts then after they have a great frame spec, realize the tube hits the cage and tell themselves, ho what the heck, it's gonna be too expensive to change that now and most probably almost no riders are going to figure it out! I don't want to bash on Intense at all about it because through the years I've realized that a lot of bike companies push bikes on the market with "some" flaws, probably just like cars, computers, and on and on... Just a sad fact of life I guess.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by aappling72
    I noticed mine doing it too before I ever rode the bike. I was cycling it through it's travel and it did that, but THEN, I realized I didn't have the proper spacing on the BB for the right chainline. I put a spacer behind the E13 DRS and adjusted the F. der. shifted into the 4th and 5th rear cog and waahhlla perffect chainline and not hit of f. der. through all of travel. I would never shave material off of a frame like this. For what it's worth.
    I have the proper chainline and no mateial was shaved off of the frame.

  18. #18
    aka...appBLING72
    Reputation: aappling72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    951

    FD hitting Chainstay

    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    I realized it on mine while doing maintenance, not riding! I was just cycling my suspension to see if my bearings were smooth and close to bottom out I was feeling something wrong! Took me 5 minutes of looking around the linkage everywhere before realizing it was the damn front cage that was touching the chainstay tube. I mean, the only way a designer would not have realized it is if they design the frame without parts then after they have a great frame spec, realize the tube hits the cage and tell themselves, ho what the heck, it's gonna be too expensive to change that now and most probably almost no riders are going to figure it out! I don't want to bash on Intense at all about it because through the years I've realized that a lot of bike companies push bikes on the market with "some" flaws, probably just like cars, computers, and on and on... Just a sad fact of life I guess.
    I noticed mine doing it too before I ever rode the bike. I was cycling it through it's travel and it did that, but THEN, I realized I didn't have the proper spacing on the BB for the right chainline. I put a spacer behind the E13 DRS and adjusted the F. der. shifted into the 4th and 5th rear cog and waahhlla perffect chainline and not hit of f. der. through all of travel. I would never shave material off of a frame like this. For what it's worth.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drumstix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,291
    its something that we all like to do, drop the big chainring in flavor of a bashring of some type, then lower the front der. because it looks silly up above the chainrings so high. I do think though that the fr. der. is in fact suppose to remain in that position to function correctly even though it works ok lowered. Im guessing that Intense never tried the front der. in a lowered position. On the Uzzi I ground out about 1/4" on the der. claimp to lower it to be in the desired position.
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    its something that we all like to do, drop the big chainring in flavor of a bashring of some type, then lower the front der. because it looks silly up above the chainrings so high. I do think though that the fr. der. is in fact suppose to remain in that position to function correctly even though it works ok lowered. Im guessing that Intense never tried the front der. in a lowered position. On the Uzzi I ground out about 1/4" on the der. claimp to lower it to be in the desired position.
    Ironically, if you look at that side shot of mine, it is in the correct position for a triple still.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drumstix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,291
    Quote Originally Posted by FastTimes
    Ironically, if you look at that side shot of mine, it is in the correct position for a triple still.

    Good point! Not meant as a being critical by the way, just a point that might have made sence, thought I might be on to something but as usual, pie on the head again!
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

  22. #22
    suspension whore
    Reputation: matthew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    702
    great review and write up
    who knew the web address would yield such a trove of information
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

    Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0

  23. #23
    Penny's my cow-cat
    Reputation: Cowboy-jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    303

    Bonking ... not feelin' well Welcome to the club C-J

    Quote Originally Posted by FastTimes
    Ironically, if you look at that side shot of mine, it is in the correct position for a triple still.
    Just to let you all know, my FD also hits the chainstay in the granny at full bottom out or a tad before BO. I doubt I'll ever be in a situation where I bottom in the granny. But I still might shave a bit of the material off my FD for peace of mind. By the way, I'm running Hollowtech 2 on my 6.6 and 3 boys up front. I don't know, but maybe I set up my chain line wrong? I think I'll have a few friends check this out since they're more knowledgeable about chainlines than me. Oh, I have one spacer on the Driveside. I'll post my findings at a later date. I still love my 6er though!
    Penny has the fastest Paw in the west!

  24. #24
    rain rain go away...
    Reputation: peachy-B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,195
    i checked my vpx and i dn't seem to have any interference on mine. the old XT already looks like it was chamfered right from the Shimano factory.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    49
    iRider, the BB shell is 73mm not 83mm.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    107
    New (current production) M3 frames get the 83 MM BB.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dogboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,440
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperD
    New (current production) M3 frames get the 83 MM BB.
    This is correct. Much better chainline.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy
    This is correct. Much better chainline.
    BUT just for the 150 mm version. AND you don't have the free choice of cranks anymore!

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    57
    Why not?

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dogboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,440
    Sorry to hijack your thread FastTimes. Your 6.6 is a beauty and I'm loving mine as well.

    iRider, crank choices are still pretty open with the 83mm BB shell. True that you can't run XT cranks, but there are plenty of options-like any ISIS crankset, Saint, Diabolus, Holzfellers, etc. Anyhow, it's a DH frame, man up and run some burly cranks

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy
    Sorry to hijack your thread FastTimes. Your 6.6 is a beauty and I'm loving mine as well.

    iRider, crank choices are still pretty open with the 83mm BB shell. True that you can't run XT cranks, but there are plenty of options-like any ISIS crankset, Saint, Diabolus, Holzfellers, etc. Anyhow, it's a DH frame, man up and run some burly cranks
    Hijack away my man, I am curious about this crank issue as well as I am gonna rock an M3 for DH and was stoked on the new 83mm BB. So no XT? That's too bad as I wanted to run XT this season. Why would Saint work and not XT. I would have though XT worked with 73mm they would work with 83mm. It's the same crank just a different combination of the spacers, so in essence if it clears the stays it would still. Please elaborate Dogboy. Maybe Intense could step in here and give us the 411?????

    Thanks,

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dogboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,440
    The 83mm BB shell requires a longer spindle-roughly 10mm longer. So a bike with a 73mm shell that would use a 118mm spindle would use a 128mm if it had a 83mm shell. They don't make a XT crank with a longer spindle, but they do make a Saint-M805. Additionally, Race Face makes a version of the Diabolus with a longer spindle. If you want light, I would recommend the TruVativ Hozfeller/Howitzer BB combo or a 128mm ISIS BB with any pair of lightweight crank arms.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    57
    Wow, thats a real drag. I ran Saint last year and LOVED em' but wanted to shed a few pounds for '06 and feel that the XTs are more than stiff enough for me. Thanks for the other suggestions. I am a Shimano guy so my options will be limited I guess.

    Would they not clear even with a 165mm crank?

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dogboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,440
    It isn't a matter of crank arm length, but the spindle through the BB. If you tried an XT (M760) crank, the spindle would come up short and you would have very little interface on the non-drive side crank/spindle.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,734
    Thanks for the info Dogboy. I know that I could go with a ISIS and a lightweight crank. BUT there is also the problem with catching your pedals. Smaller BB=earlier pedaling after a corner. And BTW: lightweight guys like me don't need the beef of the newer DH bikes/parts. I have an old XTR DH crankset on a M1 and never had problems.
    So why should I upgrade to a M3: gaining 4 pounds, getting pedals that hit the ground earlier and I have no experience with the VPP to say if it is really that superior (I'll test this with the VPX ). And, of course, there is a 5000 bucks penalty for getting the M3 How light do you think I can get my M1 with that amount of money

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy
    It isn't a matter of crank arm length, but the spindle through the BB. If you tried an XT (M760) crank, the spindle would come up short and you would have very little interface on the non-drive side crank/spindle.
    Do you know if with the 128mm Saint bb/crank combo I can run my ethirteen guide? Anyone set one up yet for '06?

    Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •