Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

My Carbine SL Story

I originally wanted to buy a 2014 Carbine 275, but after some advice on this forum, I saw some great deals on Carbine SL frames in the US&A. I was fortunate to get hold of one of the last mediums available from Zach at Bike Bling, and a few weeks later was the proud owner of a stunning frame. I thought staying with 26" wheels would save me around 2000 on my build, as I could use my existing AM Classic/Stans wheelset, plus the great deal on the frame. In the UK, the 2014 carbine has gone up in price, so The SL became an easier purchase decision to make, although tbh 650b is still gnawing away at the back of my mind. I'm no pro, so a sexy 26" wheeler is more than enough for me.......for now.

Anyways, I'll use the thread to post up pics of my build process, and I'll try to post up some videos of future adventures with the bike. My last Full sus bike was 2010 GT Force Carbon Expert, that was a 150mm 26lb (without a dropper post) bike which I thought was very good. I've weighed my fully built Carbine SL and get it to 25lb 2oz on my mate's fish scales, including Reverb Stealth and pedals.

The build:
    Intense Carbine SL frame with ISCG tabs and Stealth routing
    Rockshox Pike 26" forks
    SRAM XX1 Groupset with Gripshift
    American Classic Hubs
    Stans Crest
    DT Supercomp
    DT Swiss 10mm Rear axle
    Rockshox Reveb Stealth
    Shimano XTR Trail brakes
    Chris King Headset
    Raceface Turbine Stem 70mm
    Easton Haven Carbon Bars
    Fizik Gobi XM Kyrium rails
    Time ATAC XS Carbon
    Specialized Purgatory Control 2.3" tyres

I've only had chance to go for a quick spin on it, and it felt fine. I'll hopefully get out soon and do some video of some of the rides. Going to be teaching a workmate how to ride off road, so hopefully give me time to get the suspension dialled down and what not.

Thanks to everyone on here for their advice on my questions asked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Carbine SL Story-dsc_0077.jpg  

My Carbine SL Story-dsc_0080.jpg  

My Carbine SL Story-dsc_0081.jpg  

My Carbine SL Story-dsc_0082.jpg  

My Carbine SL Story-dsc_0093.jpg  

My Carbine SL Story-dsc_0094.jpg  

My Carbine SL Story-dsc_0098.jpg  

My Carbine SL Story-dsc_0106.jpg  

My Carbine SL Story-dsc_0107.jpg  

My Carbine SL Story-dsc_0111.jpg  

My Carbine SL Story-dsc_0112.jpg  

My Carbine SL Story-dsc_0113.jpg  

My Carbine SL Story-dsc_0114.jpg  

My Carbine SL Story-dsc_0115.jpg  

My Carbine SL Story-dsc_0116.jpg  

My Carbine SL Story-dsc_0117.jpg  

My Carbine SL Story-dsc_0118.jpg  

My Carbine SL Story-dsc_0119.jpg  

My Carbine SL Story-dsc_0132.jpg  

My Carbine SL Story-dsc_0130.jpg  

Dude, got any schwag?
    Sweet ride my fellow Carbine SL owner!
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member

My Carbine SL Story

Great set up, and welcome to the club! Love my SL.

mtbr member
    Yay! You finally got it. Sweet ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Cheers fellas, there's not much imagination to the build, but I wanted summat with little hassle. I like the idea behind XX1 and I've only read about dropper posts being 'essential', I'm yet to be convinced on that one tbh

I went for the Pike purely based on reviews, the alternative Revelation is only 75g lighter, which isn't much considering I'm 88Kg on a light day. I reckon the additional stiffness is worth the weight penalty.

I already owned the AM Stans wheelset, but thought I'd try to stiffen the rear end with the 10mm axle. Not sure if I'll notice a difference, the 9mm on my GT Force was never a drama.

A little bit of me is missing the 650b bandwagon, I wonder if Intense will make an aftermarket 650b SL rear end in the future??? Probably cost a bomb if they did though lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Nice looking ride!

I doubt you'll see a 275 rear for that frame. They seem to have trimmed their product line and the SL is dropped which is likely why it was such a good deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelma Viaduct View Post
    A little bit of me is missing the 650b bandwagon,
    Same here, but what you get for the price you cant go wrong. Weather permitting get out and get that thing dirty.

Dude, got any schwag?
    There's no way that another .75" radius in the wheels is gonna make riding any more fun! My SL is now about 6 months old, yet I got called old school last month for running 26" wheels & a triple. Whatevs. Carbon frame, new XTR brakes, reverb... old school, sheesh.
    Billy

... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eluv View Post
    Same here, but what you get for the price you cant go wrong. Weather permitting get out and get that thing dirty.
    Yeah that's bang on, I doubt I'd notice a difference anyway, an extra half inch of radius, not a lot really.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSchwagman View Post
    My SL is now about 6 months old, yet I got called old school last month for running 26" wheels
    LOL Same here! Call me old school

Just A Mountain Biker.
    That bike looks like a sick good time waiting to happen - beauty!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Is 25% sag the sweet spot?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelma Viaduct View Post
    Is 25% sag the sweet spot?
    I am a better descender than a climber so I'm around 30%.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Yes, 25% by design. 30% is good too, but you'll be on the edge of the sweet spot.
    Billy

... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks chaps, should be out on it soon, got some decent time off work coming up soon. B-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Right.....I've had the bike a few weeks now and managed a couple of rides. I've not been able to proper rag the f**k out of it yet, as I've started trying to teach an older fella from work some basic mtb riding, I'm no expert as you'll see from my vids, but can do enough to get by, when I'm not crashing ;-)

My only concern really with the frame has been the quality of the finish on the disc brake tabs, not square, so I had to take it to a shop to sort out. Not great for an expensive bit of carbon, but thankfully not a showstopper as the frame was imported to the UK from the US&A.

In terms of handling the bike feels a lot more direct and responsive than my GT Force Carbon that this SL is replacing. I kind of don't feel like I'm riding an active full sus bike, it just does the business very efficiently and quietly. It's a difficult quality to quantify, there's no dramas, nothing. The various shock tunings with the RP23 CTD offer enough difference to actually make a difference, but again, the bike just feels happy in any setting. I can't detect any bob when climbing, it's just stuck to the ground, maintaining traction when I'm convinced the wheels are about to spin out. I can't fault the Fox damper, it operates just like it's meant to, zero mid travel wallow like how my GT Force felt, It's so direct, just like a missile I suppose.

The Pike at the front end is the same really, just does it's job, no need to use the pedal setting, just leave it open.

XX1 has been amazing, the bike is so quiet, although I did lose the chain twice on 1 very muddy ride. The Gripshift has been a pleasure to use.

Rockshox Reverb Stealth - first ride out it failed, back to the shop where it was fixed under warranty. TBH I don't think they're required for my kind of riding, it's a hassle and weight penalty where a normal post is more than good enough. I wish I hadn't bought it and just stuck with a Thomson masterpiece or something???

I'm still feeling a bit of regret that I didn't buy a 650b Carbine, but the SL looks so god damn sexy, it kind of makes up for it, I feel guilty and unfaithful when I dream of a 650b Carbine. This SL will be with me until my 40th Birthday in 3 and a bit years, then maybe I'll buy another.

Intense!!!! please add 0.5" to the top tube of the medium frame & add internal cable guides.

https://vimeo.com/81048994
    https://vimeo.com/81040713
    https://vimeo.com/81138739
    https://vimeo.com/80506768

mtbr member
    Dude open that thing up. Now that you crashed now you can ride it like you stole it. Love the mud bath. I'll give my left nut to ride trails like that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yeah mate, I'll get quicker as I learn the route and get used to the bike, early days.

I lost my front wheel on the crash vid, the following ride I was more careful. It's great to learn though, that route has plenty of challenges to master, getting round in 1 piece is one of them lol

mtbr member
    Welcome to the Carbine SL club. I bought mine a bit too soon, would really like to have had ISCG tabs like yours. This is my full suspension bike, and I'm very pleased with it. Your videos are real not staged, so I found them interesting. What camera are you using?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Sony Action Cam on my bonce. I'm too long in the tooth to want to impress or bullshit, I stopped worrying about what others think a while ago, I ride for myself mate, not them.

The Sony camera is awkward to mount, but to my eyes the video quality is better than the equivalent GoPro. I fancy a Garmin with heart rate output on it next.

Yeah it's a shame you didn't get the iscg tabs and stealth routing, I'm not using the tabs but hopefully they'll give the frame a bit more resale value further down the line.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm having to change my cable routing as it's rubbing the frame.

This has left my rear brake and mech cables too short.

What cables do I need for XX1 rear mech??? Can I use shimano cables/housing with XX1???

Cheers, :-) Happy New Year btw

mtbr member

My Carbine SL Story

Just put some helicopter tape under the cable. I'm running my RD cable along the top tube and through the linkage. Very neat setup. A small patch of protective tape on the frame will do the trick.

Oh...you can use any cables and housings, they're not proprietary.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    How are you running the rear brake?

mtbr member

My Carbine SL Story

Sorry about the crappy pictures, lighting in my basement is poor.

Red cable goes to the RD.

Black is the rear brake line.

And a clean look without those big ass loops most are running on Carbines.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    That's how I had it set up, maybe my Carbon protective patches were too thick.

My mate has got me some expensive 3M black protective tape, it's activated using MEK (Butanone). It's a lot thinner than the patches I was using, I might give that a go and stick to my original routing.

Thanks for your help.

edit: just out of interest, how tall are you? I just did a retrospective bike fit calc on competitive cyclist, and it says I need a bike with a TT of 23.6 to 24.1". Maybe I should have bought a large??? But I'm only 5'9", short legs long body I think. But I'd be screwed with a dropper post on a large seat mast I reckon. Maybe I'll get a Yeti next time round???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast