Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Zero Miles from Myself

My 1st Intense Spider XVP ... is it a 2007 ??

Just picked up a nice looking Spider XVP frame for a pretty decent price - $550 - not a steal but not too bad. My First Intense! The Swinger X3 is new and never ridden and the frame looks to be in good condition. The sell claimed the bearings had been recently serviced.

The Finish is Raw Aluminum and I spent the afternoon polishing it with a 6" Rotary and a Dremel polishing tool. Got a half way decent shine on it. Could have been better if I would have taken the swing arm off, but good enough and I'm happy.

Here's my question. The seller listed this as a 2007. But in the '07 catalog I found, the emblem on the head tub is not the same as the one on this bike. The one I have says it is an FRO too (which it was NOT sold as FRO), and from the pics in the catalog, it is not an FRO.

So how can I tell the model year of the frame? I read somewhere that the lower swinger arm block (guessing at the name) was changed between '06 and '07. But are there any distinguishing marks of the '07? Can you tell from the serial number?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 1st Intense Spider XVP ... is it a 2007 ??-sdc10016.jpg  

My 1st Intense Spider XVP ... is it a 2007 ??-sdc10006.jpg  

My 1st Intense Spider XVP ... is it a 2007 ??-sdc10004.jpg  

My 1st Intense Spider XVP ... is it a 2007 ??-sdc10007.jpg  

My 1st Intense Spider XVP ... is it a 2007 ??-sdc10025.jpg  

Last edited by mrm1; 01-12-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Dude, got any schwag?
    It could be a 5.5 FRO, which used the tube set of the Spider & the geo of the 5.5. Stickers could be aftermarket.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

Zero Miles from Myself
    I'm guessing if it is a 5.5 .... that is a win win for me But there seemed to be some glue slopped around the head tube emblem that I polished off.

The frame is a Medium / 19" seat tube and weighs 89 oz / 2523 g (5.56 lbs) with the shock and no seat clamp using my gram scale. Weight is that of the XVP.
    Last edited by mrm1; 01-12-2010 at 06:04 PM.

mtbr member
    one thing is for sure: It is an XVP....guessing the head badge is a replacement as the stock ones seem to fall off if not secured properly. Better than a sticker but worse than etched IMO, but i digress

It is (at least the rear triangle) a 2003-2005.5...notice the striations on the rear triangle...

Commit or eat sh!t
    Look at the serial number on the BB. It should have 2 letters followed by bunch of numbers. The first number is the year of the frame (e.g., 7).

Zero Miles from Myself
    CM 6*****

So based on what Cable0guy is saying ... it is a 2006. So, at the price i paid ($550) was this a good price for an 06? I have not "rated" the seller as of yet on ebay.

Zero Miles from Myself
    I am seeing that from the '06 back the XVPs do not have the monoblock rear pivot upgrade. And that the pivot bolts tended to come loose before the '07s.

Any known problems with the '06?

Dude, got any schwag?
    OK, if it's a 5.5 FRO, it'll have a head tube for internal HS, and shock eye to eye will be 7.5" with 2" stroke.

If it's a Spider, std head tube & 6.5" x 1.5".

I am now changinng my opinion to Spider due to the model year. I think '07 was the 5.5 FRO's first year. (IIRC)
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Spider! It has a short shock. Frame code C*** is a Spider (I think), D is 5.5, dunno about 5.5 FRO.
    It could be still an 07 model if it is a late 06 production run. The next numbers of the frame number indicate the month it was build. ;-)

Zero Miles from Myself
    iRider, after looking around and reading more on the Spider, I think you are correct - an '07 built in '06. The frame has the Monoblock '07 single piece link and the clips on the suspension bolts ... from what i understand, all '07 upgrades.

Zero Miles from Myself
    FWIW ... I just got an email back from Intense Cycles on the Model Year:

Mike,

From the serial number, the bike is a 2006 model. There should not be any differences
    between those two model years. Let me know if you need anything else.

Regard's

Chad L. Duffey
    Intense Cycles

mtbr member

2006 Spider 2007 Spider

Keep in mind that we have not always waited for the end of a model year to implement improvements to a current product. This being said....the only differences between the 2006 in the photos and a 2007 model....is the second number in the serial number. Yes, these two bikes are for all intent and purpose the same model.

Chad

Quote Originally Posted by mrm1
    FWIW ... I just got an email back from Intense Cycles on the Model Year:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IntensevCare
    Keep in mind that we have not always waited for the end of a model year to implement improvements to a current product. This being said....the only differences between the 2006 in the photos and a 2007 model....is the second number in the serial number. Yes, these two bikes are for all intent and purpose the same model.

Chad

Chad,

At what point did the rear triangle change from having the horizontal channels cut into the seatstays to not? Wasnt that a mid-year change during 2006? If so, wouldnt the 2007's be different than the 2006 pictured (just the rear triangle)?

Zero Miles from Myself
    Thanks Chad, this clears it up. Build is started. Looking great.

Not try to make any waves, just wanting to know what I got here.

Zero Miles from Myself
    OK so "finished" up the Spider tonight. Polished the frame to a nice finish with a rotary and then used a light sanding block to create a Brushed Alu finish. Finished it with a coat of acrylic. Came out very nice. Then ordered a decal and head badge set from SaddleTime Sports. This pretty much made this 2006 Spider look like new.

Got it all build up except the final tune and suspension adjustments. Hoping to do a "dial-in" ride on Monday.

Thanks again every one for the schooling. I think I will really enjoy this bike !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 1st Intense Spider XVP ... is it a 2007 ??-sdc10014.jpg  

My 1st Intense Spider XVP ... is it a 2007 ??-sdc10021.jpg  

My 1st Intense Spider XVP ... is it a 2007 ??-sdc10026.jpg  

My 1st Intense Spider XVP ... is it a 2007 ??-sdc10003.jpg  

mtbr member
    You made it look new !! Great job done,enjoy it !!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi. Great looking build. Very nice finish. Can I just ask you a question as I've just bought one of these frames, what size and type front deraillier did you use/does this frame use.

Cheers

Michael

Zero Miles from Myself

Mavic CrossTrails and Rocket Rons

Got some new wheels for this ride today. Hoping to get out this afternoon and do a maiden on the 2.1 RoRos and Mavic CrossTrails.

Over all, It looks pretty sweet. Weight Savings was 1.4 lbs. Going Tubeless tonight if I can find some stans locally at a good price.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 1st Intense Spider XVP ... is it a 2007 ??-sdc10039.jpg  

My 1st Intense Spider XVP ... is it a 2007 ??-sdc10040.jpg  

My 1st Intense Spider XVP ... is it a 2007 ??-sdc10045.jpg  

My 1st Intense Spider XVP ... is it a 2007 ??-sdc10048.jpg  

mtbr member
    That looks sweet dude !!! Enjoy !!!

How do u like that Rocket Ron as a rear tyre ?

Zero Miles from Myself
    Just finished my first Ride on the RoRos, Really impressed coming off of Panracer Fire XC Pro 120 compound. This Tire / Wheel combo spun up really fast and the tires seemed to hold the ground as good or better than the 2.1 Fire XCs.

Zero Miles from Myself
    did a race this weekend on the Spider with the 2.1 RoRos. Never slipped out once, climbed like a monkey. Almost wishing I would have gotten some Racing Ralphs now.

mtbr member
    The head angle is supposed to be pretty steep on those. How does it feel to you?

Zero Miles from Myself
    I have ridden it with an on-the-fly adjustable Manitou Black Fork from 95 up to 120mm I prefer the setting around 120. I have been told the frame was designed around the 100mm fork and works best there, but I like the feel of a slacker angle. At the 100mm set up it feels quick and maybe a touch "squirrelly"

At 120 I think it does tend to drift just a little. I am considering trying an internal adjustable X-Fusion fork setting it at 130. If I don't like it I will drop back to 120 or 100, but I think I will like it just fine.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info mrm. Now I have a question about how you polished that frame. You say you got a new sticker kit, so I assume you removed the old stickers? Are they hard to remove? Or did you just polish around the existing ones?

mtbr member
    Hey mm1,
    I was curious how tall you are and what your inseam is. I ask because it seems that the XVP medium is equivalent to a large in other frames. I notice your seatpost seems extended a bit. Thx.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast