Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tribe member

more Carbine SL love!

I'm looking at getting a Carbine SL and I don't see a ton of builds on here. There's a few in the Carbine thread, and a handful of others scattered about. Maybe some of you could post yours up, along with build weights, opinions of the bike, etc. I'm in the process of trying to sell my Yeti ASRc frame to purchase the Carbine SL from Wrench Science.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If I were in the market for the Carbine, I'd probably look at the Carbine 275 or Carbine. The G1 dropouts provide more flexibility in terms of changing axle formats and with the Carbine you can move to 275 in the future.

I just converted my Tracer2 to 275 - the G1 dropouts are a great feature!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by feltbee View Post
    I'm looking at getting a Carbine SL and I don't see a ton of builds on here. There's a few in the Carbine thread, and a handful of others scattered about. Maybe some of you could post yours up, along with build weights, opinions of the bike, etc. I'm in the process of trying to sell my Yeti ASRc frame to purchase the Carbine SL from Wrench Science.
    Yea, I would guess that most people are going with the bigger wheel option. I was looking into the 275 but when I saw Bike Bling blowing them out for $1500 I had to go for it. I'm glad I did no buyer remorse! My bike is on the thread Look what my SL has around the bottom bracket. Its an XT 2X10 setup with Spinergy wheels 2013 fox float shy over 25lbs.

Tribe member

more Carbine SL love!

Nice. Yeah, I would love to try out 142x12 in the back (heck even 15qr in the front!). The thing I like about the Carbine SL is that I can run my 120 fork up front for another year or so until I find a deal on a 150 (float or talas or pike). Then switch up the rear travel setting. I can handle the 135qr in the rear for another 2-3 years (I think).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by feltbee View Post
    Nice. Yeah, I would love to try out 142x12 in the back (heck even 15qr in the front!). The thing I like about the Carbine SL is that I can run my 120 fork up front for another year or so until I find a deal on a 150 (float or talas or pike). Then switch up the rear travel setting. I can handle the 135qr in the rear for another 2-3 years (I think).
    Remember it's a carbon frame it's plenty stiff. Add a 15mm 150 float, you'll be riding it plenty. Like I said earlier $1500 yea I can hold off a few more years.

Let's Ride
    Hey feltbee,

I think you should jump on that frame. It is a great deal.

I have a Carbine SL and it has been amazing. If you have not already seen my review, click here.

The Fox Talas is a nice fork since it is adjustable. The bike is great in both modes; short travel (120mm front, 120mm rear) and long travel (150mm front, 135mm rear). For a light trail bike, the Carbine SL can't be beat. Due to the VPP, the rear is stiff while climbing and instantly become plush on the downhills without needing to flick any levers. The bike just magically responds in every condition. You won't be disappointed.

Let us all know what you decide and post your impressions of the Carbine SL.

Tribe member
    I've got my frame listed for sale on Pinkbike and Craigslist. I'm just hoping that it will sell before all outlets sell out of the frame. Such a killer price.

If I get one, I'll post up pics and a review. I'm interested in trying a suspension design other than the single pivots that I've been on (Yeti ASR aluminum and carbon).

Dude, got any schwag?
    more Carbine SL love!-carbine-sl.jpgMy Carbine SL is 25.5lbs with 150mm travel in front and 140mm/152mm in back. I put a longer travel rear shock on it to equal the travel of the standard Carbine. The bike is very stiff torsionally, and with a RWS 10mm rear axle, it's dialed. I could take more weight off with lighter wheels, but like how stiff, wide and durable my DT Swiss EX1750s are. I can't imagine how much more lively the bike would be with 1200 gram wheels! (but why?) This bike climbs better than anything I have ever ridden, and descends like a dream. It's adept at tight single track yet stable at high speed.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

Tribe member
    Schwagman! I hadn't seen or read of anyone putting a longer rear shock on. No issues with the tire hitting the seattube or anything?

Dude, got any schwag?
    No problems at all!!! Turns out there is no change in geometry between the Carbine & the SL. They put a shorter rear shock on the SL to match it up with it's 120mm fork spec, but you can put the longer shock on and a longer fork, and viola!, you have a sweet, light Carbine! (Or I do anyway...)
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

Tribe member
    Well then I will def. be looking in to doing that when I get the chance!

mtbr member

more Carbine SL love!

28.4 lbs with a 34 Talas 110-140, velocity blunt 35s, hans dampf rubber, xx1 crank,10 spd cassette, cb dropper, and avid codes. Climbs and descends equally well. If your only gonna have one bike, the sl is the one that can do it all well.

Tribe member
    That's nice Kaymonster! I sure wish I could get my Yeti frame sold so I could get one ordered up.

mtbr member

more Carbine SL love!

Broke my Titus Motolite a few weeks ago and with the difficulty getting replacements these days I decided to jump on the Carbine SL deal going on. Expecting the frame next week. Gonna be transferring what parts I can for now.
    Can't wait to build this thing up!

mtbr member

more Carbine SL love!

Got my frame yesterday. It sure is purdy.

Weight bare frame - small 5# even.

And as others have mentioned ISCG tabs.

I had ordered all the parts I thought I'd need to swap over from the Motolite but screwed up on the headset from RWC. The top fit but the bottom was also for a 44mm tube. Being the impatient fck that I am, I grabbed a chunk of aluminum I had and lathed up an adaptor to reduce the 49mm headtube to 44mm. You can see it above the lower cup.
    Last edited by Hobine; 08-16-2013 at 07:14 AM.

mtbr member

more Carbine SL love!

And all built up with most of the parts off my 2008 Motolite including the 08 Talas Fork and X9 9 speed set up for now.

Also using the Stylo triple up front. Total weight ready to go 25.6#
    Last edited by Hobine; 08-16-2013 at 07:13 AM.

Tribe member

more Carbine SL love!

Gosh I want that so bad!

mtbr member

more Carbine SL love!

Got a couple rides on this so far and it is by far the best bike I've ever ridden. I can make a very direct comparison to the FSR suspension on the Motolite because I'm using all the same parts. In fact, I've been on Horst Link bikes since the AMP B4. Went from the AMP to a LocoMoto ( single pivot) to Switchblades and finally the MotoLite. This is my first VPP and the ride is so much more lively than the FSR.

I was concerned about being cramped on the Carbine because its got the shortest top tube of any of my previous duel squish bikes. Thought about going with the medium but Wrench Science recommended the small. It's also the first bike I've had where the bars aren't lower than the saddle. After the first two rides I've got no issues. Should've done this sooner, back feels great and blasting through rocks with much more confidence. Downhills are awesome.

Right now still in the short travel mode but I'm going to switch over next week when I pick up my new Float 150 (eBay score).
    Climbing is fantastic, easily cleared the tough spots even though I'm still new to the bike. Absolutely flies through the twisty stuff.

Very highly recommended, at the blowout prices going on right now I doubt there's anything else out there that can touch it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    You can definitely get the weight on down. I use mine for xc racing and have it at 21.8 lbs. That's with a RS Revelation WC XX fork & I9 wheels with stan's podium rims. With these rims I try to keep in on the group is the only downside. The bike climbs like a beast especially with the front locked out...no need to lock the rear. I have an I9 Trail 24 wheelset that I use for everyday and super D racing. The bike is still under 22.5 lbs and it takes all the abuse I can throw at it. Awesome bike!!!
    CYCLETHERAPY - INDUSTRY NINE - FORMULA BRAKES

http://brushymtncyclists.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by guard View Post
    You can definitely get the weight on down. I use mine for xc racing and have it at 21.8 lbs. That's with a RS Revelation WC XX fork & I9 wheels with stan's podium rims. With these rims I try to keep in on the group is the only downside. The bike climbs like a beast especially with the front locked out...no need to lock the rear. I have an I9 Trail 24 wheelset that I use for everyday and super D racing. The bike is still under 22.5 lbs and it takes all the abuse I can throw at it. Awesome bike!!!
    Please post some pics and a build sheet! I'd love to see how you got it down so much. I'm just shy of 23 but with a 1x10, full xtr, superlight carbon wheelset, same fork and other carbon goodies all over. TIA.
    Wanted: Ritchey P-20,21,22,23 in Team colors, 18-inch, '92-99, Ritchey Logic fork (threadless); NEW Rock Shox Judy Decal Sets

mtbr member

more Carbine SL love!

Mines now 25.2# without trying to loose weight. Switching from the 2008 Talas to a Float 150 brought it down a surprising amount.

Tribe member
    Well unless I have a large sum of money deposited into my bank account, I won't be getting this anytime soon. Was hoping to sell my ASRc frame to fund this, but after telling my wife my plan, she shot me down! She doesn't care if I get another bike, but she told me that I can't sell what I have right now. So cool, but so unfair! haha But she also said I need to build up a nice hardtail before getting a new full-suspension since I got this one last year. So I'll just have to see if I can get a good tax return and bonus next year to build up a bike or two.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanus View Post
    Please post some pics and a build sheet! I'd love to see how you got it down so much. I'm just shy of 23 but with a 1x10, full xtr, superlight carbon wheelset, same fork and other carbon goodies all over. TIA.
    My bike is apart right and I'm broken up from a crash last week on my dh bike. I'll post one as soon as I heel up. Here's the build:

Carbine Sl - Small
    Cane creek 40 headset
    Truvativ Stylo T60 stem - 70mm
    Easton EC70 OS hbar
    Formula R1R brakes (2-piece rotors, 7" frt, 6" rr)
    Rockshox Revelation WC XX 150mm
    Specialized Toupe Pro seat with carbon rails
    Thomson Elite seatpost
    XTR crank
    Ceramic BB
    Race Face Single Ring - 38t
    MRP single guide
    KMC chain
    XX rear shifter
    Crankbrothers Candy 2ti pedals
    X0 short cage rear derailleur
    XX 11-36 cassette
    Schwable Rocket Ron EVO 2.25 (new style) tubless ready - front
    Specialized Renegade SW 2.1 - rear
    Industry Nine wheelset with Stan's Podium rims (setup tubeless)
    Lizard Skin Lock-on grips

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by guard View Post
    My bike is apart right and I'm broken up from a crash last week on my dh bike. I'll post one as soon as I heel up. Here's the build:

Carbine Sl - Small
    Cane creek 40 headset
    Truvativ Stylo T60 stem - 70mm
    Easton EC70 OS hbar
    Formula R1R brakes (2-piece rotors, 7" frt, 6" rr)
    Rockshox Revelation WC XX 150mm
    Specialized Toupe Pro seat with carbon rails
    Thomson Elite seatpost
    XTR crank
    Ceramic BB
    Race Face Single Ring - 38t
    MRP single guide
    KMC chain
    XX rear shifter
    Crankbrothers Candy 2ti pedals
    X0 short cage rear derailleur
    XX 11-36 cassette
    Schwable Rocket Ron EVO 2.25 (new style) tubless ready - front
    Specialized Renegade SW 2.1 - rear
    Industry Nine wheelset with Stan's Podium rims (setup tubeless)
    Lizard Skin Lock-on grips
    almost forgot...ceramic wheel bearings

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post
    If I were in the market for the Carbine, I'd probably look at the Carbine 275 or Carbine. The G1 dropouts provide more flexibility in terms of changing axle formats and with the Carbine you can move to 275 in the future.

I just converted my Tracer2 to 275 - the G1 dropouts are a great feature!
    That's disappointing specs on the SL, no G1's? & I was getting excited enough to plunk down the $ for that frame, guess I'll have to wait for a deal on the regular carbine?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast